Thieves raid Apple employee store for third time

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The fleecing at Apple Computer continued this week with the theft of two more iPods and 10 software packages from the company store inside the company's headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, reports the San Jose Mercury News.

The total estimated value of the latest heist was figured at approximately $4,688, on top of the 11 iPods previously reported stolen from the store.

Over the weekend, thieves stole nine black 80 gigabyte iPods worth about $3,141, according to police reports. The players weren't kept under lock and instead were out on the sales floor, a Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputy said.

About a week earlier, two iPod nanos turned up missing in a shipment to the store from Apple's Elk Grove facility in Sacramento. The deputy said the shipping boxes that should have contained the two silver music players were found crushed.

Thus far, there are no suspects in either of the cases, the Mercury News reported. The store is open to both employees as well as the general public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Boy, these new iPods are sure hot.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck

Boy, these new iPods are sure hot.

They're flying off the shelves so fast that the employees don't even have time to stock them.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Damn talk about big ones made of brass.

How would you like to run into Steve in the hallway with your ill-gotten loot?

I could imagine Steve's RDF kicking in and polymorphing the thief into bug entrails.

Ick....
  • Reply 4 of 16
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Obviously the thieves haven't been paying attention to the rumour sites otherwise they would have waited until the c2d mbp's hit the shelves :-P
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

Damn talk about big ones made of brass.

How would you like to run into Steve in the hallway with your ill-gotten loot?

I could imagine Steve's RDF kicking in and polymorphing the thief into bug entrails.

Ick....

actually, i think steve would simply go into stasis, and the RDF would manifest itself physically in this realm long enough to kick the snot out of them.

but seriously, stealing from within the belly of the beast... well, can't say anyone would expect that. maybe for their next feat, they can rip off steve's black turtleneck... WHILE HE"S STILL WEARING IT!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Where is the iShotgun when you need it!?

Get off your ass Ives!

But i'm surprised Apple doesn't have a better security system. I would think they would've thought of something better plan than hoping people don't walk out with stuff when no one's looking. Like in-box RFID chips. That seems like something Apple would do.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Those poor ipods, stolen from their homes and sold onto slavery from day 1.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    yamasyamas Posts: 16member
    Send in Monk
  • Reply 9 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Has anyone bothered to steal a Zune yet?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

In related news today microsoft employees were found putting back zunes they had purchased when asked if they wanted an exchange ... nah just the cash.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    At least they've got good taste.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

I can just see it now:

Ballmer: Are you stealing that Zune?

Employee: *nervous* No, I was just looking...

Ballmer: Are you stealing it?

Employee: No!

Ballmer: Go on, steal it...

Employee: No!

Ballmer: DO IT! Or I'll tell Bill...

Employee: How about I just say I stole it and leave it here?

Ballmer: *thinks* Will you tell everyone how great it is?

Employee: Fine, go and tell Bill. I'm not going to stoop that low to save my job...
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Apple should make an iSight that doesn't have to be tethered to a Mac.

You should just be able to plug and point.

You could then remotely connect to it's built in web server and see what's going on remotely.

This would solve their theft problem.

Don't steal iPods.

Ne volez pas la iPods.

Bitte keine iPod stehlen.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    These guys have to be employees...I mean c'mon. The Apple headquarters and no one can get them. After 3 times?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Thieves raid Apple employee store for third time

The way the headline makes it out, a gang of ruffians went into the store and just brazenly lifted these items. Reading the article, all they say is that an inventory check showed them missing. It could have been many unaffiliated individuals just getting themselves some iPod goodness to cover their underpaid/overworked lives.

Quote:

These guys have to be employees...I mean c'mon. The Apple headquarters and no one can get them. After 3 times?

Of course they're employees. Isn't it all employees who can shop at that store?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer

Of course they're employees. Isn't it all employees who can shop at that store?

The Apple company store in Cupertino is open to the public and is accessible from the front of the building. You don't have to sign in or pass through any security system to enter.