Can I Get Around a Padlock?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

My employer has asked my dept to scrub our systems of anything not allowed. The IT staff will be in next week to write up anyone not following protocol.

I've cleaned my system out manually, yet I want to be sure it passes, so I'd like to run DiskWarrior and what-not. To do this isn't as simple as it may seem. We're set up so that we're locked out of booting from a disk or from holding the option key down to choose a drive (say firewire) to boot from, I get a padlock when I attempt the latter that I've installed OSX on along with DW. Is there a way around this?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nope. That password is at the firmware level, on the motherboard.

I'm not sure how DW is going to help you ensure you don't have anything improper installed, all it checks is the disk structures, not the data on it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

Is there a way around this?

Yup:

http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwar...protection.php

You maybe can't remove a dimm at work but the password recovery solution might help.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well I'll be. I stand corrected.

And note that, if I'm reading it right, the DIMM removal *removes* the password, so if the admin checks, it's gone, and they know that someone was playing monkey-shenanigans. I assume you don't want to do that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Thanks all. I figured it out and will post details after the walk through next week.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If they put a padlock on your computer itself, that's easy to get around too. Especially if it's a keyed Master Lock. The art of lock picking is very easy to learn.

Hint: buy the expensive Schlage locks with the pointy pins.