Do I really need Applecare?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Do I really need Applecare for an iPod Shuffle?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    No. Just buy a new one.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

No. Just buy a new one.

Yes. You would be an idiot to get it for a iPod shuffle.

Its worth it for more expensive iPods because if it breaks when a newer model is out, they will usually give you the newer model for free.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Its worth it for more expensive iPods because if it breaks when a newer model is out, they will usually give you the newer model for free.

About two months ago, my ipod photo stopped working....I sent it in thinking I would get a video, and got a photo. I guess they still have a stock pile of them or something.

This was under warranty, if I had apple care, would I have gotten a video?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bradg

About two months ago, my ipod photo stopped working....I sent it in thinking I would get a video, and got a photo. I guess they still have a stock pile of them or something.

This was under warranty, if I had apple care, would I have gotten a video?

If it was a repair, they would have sent you the SAME photo you had prior back fixed. If it was not a repair but a replacement there must have been iPod Photos on stock still. I have two friends, one a 3G iPod Owner (4 buttons + Wheel) and the other a 4G Clickwheel B/W Screen owner whose iPods broke while under the apple care plan and got free iPod videos from Apple when theirs broke.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I think it's worth it for the 60 gig and 80 gig video iPods. Short of dropping the iPod, it's covered including when the battery starts to age. My plan is to have them replace the battery when the iPod Apple Care is about to expire. I have had issues with the iPod but they gave me a replacement with no hassles...your call.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    All,

If you want your iPod to last longer than a year, I would definitely

buy the Applecare. Frankly, your best bet would be to buy something

other than an iPod and you wouldn't need to spend the money on

a repair plan.

Creative and Sandisk have much better products.

I'm sorry, but I've had all three brands and the iPod has been the worst.

It has been repaired twice. I had to buy a new battery for it, and iTunes

is a pain in the rear to use.

I finally had enough and put Rockbox on the iPod. So far, I've had no

issues. I don't have to fight with iTunes.

If you are into audiobooks, podcasts, and that sort of thing you will find

out what I'm talking about when you can't delete them directly in the interface.

If the files aren't marked a certain way or purchased form specific vendors

your audiobooks won't appear as audiobooks on the iPod.

They may have fixed this issue in iTunes 7, but be careful if you use your iPod

on mutliple computers. If you have it set to automatically sync with the machine

and your iTunes libraries are different you are in for some fun.

Definitely research some sites other than Mac Observer or Apple Insider

before you buy. The iPod is more of a "the neighbors have one" kind of thing.

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocriss33324

All,

If you want your iPod to last longer than a year, I would definitely

buy the Applecare. Frankly, your best bet would be to buy something

other than an iPod and you wouldn't need to spend the money on

a repair plan.

Creative and Sandisk have much better products.

I'm sorry, but I've had all three brands and the iPod has been the worst.

It has been repaired twice. I had to buy a new battery for it, and iTunes

is a pain in the rear to use.

I finally had enough and put Rockbox on the iPod. So far, I've had no

issues. I don't have to fight with iTunes.

If you are into audiobooks, podcasts, and that sort of thing you will find

out what I'm talking about when you can't delete them directly in the interface.

If the files aren't marked a certain way or purchased form specific vendors

your audiobooks won't appear as audiobooks on the iPod.

They may have fixed this issue in iTunes 7, but be careful if you use your iPod

on mutliple computers. If you have it set to automatically sync with the machine

and your iTunes libraries are different you are in for some fun.

Definitely research some sites other than Mac Observer or Apple Insider

before you buy. The iPod is more of a "the neighbors have one" kind of thing.

Regards,

Ocriss

Bollocks.

1) iPod + iTunes overall product experience including UI, compatibility, syncing, etc, is far supperior to other MP3 players. A major part of this is that most other MP3 players are not made for a specific music managment program. The Apple iPod UI (click wheel) is an example of how the iPod our performs other MP3 players in UI and user experience.

2) I know that this shouldn't a major buying factor for the educated consumer, but it is a very very nice added bonus, and after all, a lot of what sells products is its looks. And the iPod is gorgeous.

3) I have had an iPod Photo for 3+ years. Battery is the same -- still awesome. Hard drive has not failed. I have multiple iTunes library's and have never had problem with autosyncing on.

4) Because Apple produces their MP3 players in larger quantities than other competitors, they can afford to set their pricing extremely competitively while still making a good profit. So Apple's MP3 players are very competitively priced.

5) Simple rules to keeping your iPod running:
    • Keep the battery as charged as possible whenever possible. Totally discharge the battery about once a month, and charge it fully immediately after that occurs.

• If it is hard drive based, DO NOT drop it. You can run with it, but secure it so the forces on it are more of a sway than a shake.

• If it is flash based, you *can* drop it. But it might crack the screen. The iPod should still work though.

• Store and use the iPod at reasonable temperatures. Consult specs for more info.

• Buy a goddamn case. Seriously.

• Reply 8 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    As a general rule, avoid all extended warranties. On the chance that something goes wrong, just pay for the repair.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

As a general rule, avoid all extended warranties. On the chance that something goes wrong, just pay for the repair.

I would generally tend to agree. Except laptops and (large) flat screen TVs (mainly Plasma). These both break easily, and are EXPENSIVE to fix.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Uh, you are correct!

Most other MP3 players don't make you conform to some sort of Tool like iTunes.

You just connect the unit to the computer. Then you can drag and drop files

to your hearts content. It acts just like a hard drive.

I guess having to wait for iTunes to pull up a list of your files and do it's thing is

a feature. Like I said, I think they fixed this in iTunes 7, but it was another wonderful

feature when I connected it to one of my other computers and it wiped out all my

music because I didn't pay attention to one of the default options. Why that would

be the default mode of operation is beyond me.

Don't forget!

Another feature is that you can only delete files from iTunes.

You can't just select delete from a menu option on the iPod. It doesn't exist.

Don't forget!

You can't just tag MP3 files as audiobooks. You have to either buy a program

for windows, run a script on the Mac, or use a hex editor and tag the files.

NOTE: The MP3 file needs to be converted to an apple format first.

Don't forget!

You don't get a graphic equalizer that you can use to change settings as you see fit. You have to use one of the presets.

Don't forget!

You can't change any of the playlist info on the iPod itself. Go to iTunes again!

Don't forget!

Most other MP3 players have a built in FM tuner and a Mic for voice recording.

These are options you can buy for your iPod.

The wheel...

That is a matter of opinion. Frankly, I think it is a pain in the rear. That's just

my opinion. If you like it, that's fine.

On the hard drive...

Yep, I didn't say it, but you guessed it. Funny how you guessed one of

the repairs that really isn't a problem for most folks.

Wanna guess the other one?

The screen...

Although, you shouldn't have as many problems on this version of the iPod. My iPod was the 4th Generation iPod.

Apple finally got smart and moved the earphone jack away from behind the center

of the screen.

Yep as long as you treat it like a piece of glass you should be okay.

Buy a case for it. Most other MP3 players that you buy come with a case.

However, Apple gives you such a great price on the unit you don't get one

with theirs.

Wanna guess the next one that Apple might have fixed...

The earphones...

Yep, you get new earphones with this version of the iPod. Hopefully they

are better than the last ones.

Also, the Menu + Center button is your friend. Whenever it locks up, try that combination.

I know you will probably write me off as a troll for this post.

However, I do feel that folks have a right to know that the iPod isn't all its cracked up to be. There are far too many reviews out there that do NOT give the full story.

I'd be willing to bet that not too many folks gave a thought to some of the issues mentioned above. I know I sure didn't. I would have never guessed you have to

hook the thing to your computer every time you want to delete a file.

Why you can't just go into iTunes and tag something as an audiobook is another mystery to me.

Oh well...

Just my thoughts!

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Uh, you are correct!

Most other MP3 players don't make you conform to some sort of Tool like iTunes.

You just connect the unit to the computer. Then you can drag and drop files

to your hearts content. It acts just like a hard drive.

The iPod acts just like a hard drive as well except the music files are hidden. On windows you can easily edit the music folders -- turn hidden folders on.

I guess having to wait for iTunes to pull up a list of your files and do it's thing is

a feature. Like I said, I think they fixed this in iTunes 7, but it was another wonderful

feature when I connected it to one of my other computers and it wiped out all my

music because I didn't pay attention to one of the default options. Why that would

be the default mode of operation is beyond me.

Quote:

Don't forget!

Another feature is that you can only delete files from iTunes.

You can't just select delete from a menu option on the iPod. It doesn't exist.

Do you mean delete from the MP3 player using it's interface or delete from the MP3 using the computers interface? If the first, I don't know of many MP3 players that do that. If the second, why delete using the OS interface when you can do so in iTunes? Again, if you had Windows and hidden folders on, you COULD delete the music in the OS. Also, one of the reasons Apple does this is because the RIAA practically makes them protect the music on it. Cheap flash players don't use this kind of protection, but most other more popular MP3 players do.

Quote:

Don't forget!

You can't just tag MP3 files as audiobooks. You have to either buy a program

for windows, run a script on the Mac, or use a hex editor and tag the files.

NOTE: The MP3 file needs to be converted to an apple format first.

Handy tip of the day! Change the extension -- this usually works for me! Also, you DO NOT want your Audiobooks in MP3 form -- because most programs will not compress the Audiobooks appropriately resulting in larger than necessary files. Not to mention most programs don't know what the fuck (pardon my french) to do with Audiobooks. AKA Windows Media Player.

Quote:

Don't forget!

You don't get a graphic equalizer that you can use to change settings as you see fit. You have to use one of the presets.

bullocks! DOWNLOAD ONE! WMP is the same with this -- it just comes with different separate categories that look like more styles than iTunes but is really less because iTunes are all integrated. Visualizer in almost all audio programs is worthless anyways though. UGLY. So I don't really know why that is an issue.

Quote:

Don't forget!

You can't change any of the playlist info on the iPod itself. Go to iTunes again!

Likewise for most other MP3 players. The iPod does have the on-the-go playlist, which can be saved, changed, etc.

Quote:

Don't forget!

Most other MP3 players have a built in FM tuner and a Mic for voice recording.

These are options you can buy for your iPod.

This is just some "grasping for straws" bull shit other companies use to make them look more competitive.

Most people who listen to their iPod don't listen to the radio, even when they have access to it. That is because they have most of the music they want on their iPod. The radio plays random music, mostly crap, with commercials. I'll take my personal, uninterrupted library of music over their random, ad laden music collection.

Quote:

The wheel...

That is a matter of opinion. Frankly, I think it is a pain in the rear. That's just

my opinion. If you like it, that's fine.

I'm not saying the wheel is the best UI ever. The keyboard and mouse is a nice UI -- but not on an MP3 player. The wheel is a heck of a lot better than any other UI I'ved used with MP3 players.

Quote:

On the hard drive...

Yep, I didn't say it, but you guessed it. Funny how you guessed one of

the repairs that really isn't a problem for most folks.

Sarcasm doesn't suite you well. If you treat your iPod's hard drive as you would treat any other MP3 player's hard drive, they will last about the same period of time. The fact is, iPod owners USE THEIR MP3 player more than NON iPod owners. This is not made up bullshit. That's statistic. And that says something about user experience, doesn't it? All hard drives fail eventually. The more you use it, or the worse you treat it, the sooner.

Quote:

Wanna guess the other one?

The screen...

Although, you shouldn't have as many problems on this version of the iPod. My iPod was the 4th Generation iPod.

Apple finally got smart and moved the earphone jack away from behind the center

of the screen.

I have the iPod Photo and I said that in my original post. That is 4th Generation. My headphone jack is in the center. That causes no problem for me. And about the screen. Yea -- it's not even slightly scratched.

Quote:

Yep as long as you treat it like a piece of glass you should be okay.

Buy a case for it. Most other MP3 players that you buy come with a case.

However, Apple gives you such a great price on the unit you don't get one

with theirs.

Apple gives a standard protective "case" (not really a case), but it does work quite well at protecting the iPod against everything except dropping it. Most cases other companies give with their MP3 player are just as simple. Also, I might note, my iPod 4G Photo CAME WITH A CASE -- A VERY NICE STURDY ONE WITH A BELT CLIP.

Quote:

Wanna guess the next one that Apple might have fixed...

The earphones...

Yep, you get new earphones with this version of the iPod. Hopefully they

are better than the last ones.

WHAT? I own the 4G iPod Photo. The earbuds work just fine. The iPod earbuds are considered good for free earbuds that come with MP3 players. My earbuds even stay in when i run. And when it comes down to it: No earbuds that are bundled with an MP3 player are any good anyways.

Quote:

Also, the Menu + Center button is your friend. Whenever it locks up, try that combination.

I know this already. But I rarely have to use it. Less than 6 times a year. I had a Creative. When it locked up. I had to totally wipe it. That was as easy as pressing two buttons on the iPod

Quote:

I know you will probably write me off as a troll for this post.

However, I do feel that folks have a right to know that the iPod isn't all its cracked up to be. There are far too many reviews out there that do NOT give the full story.

I'd be willing to bet that not too many folks gave a thought to some of the issues mentioned above. I know I sure didn't. I would have never guessed you have to

hook the thing to your computer every time you want to delete a file.

Why you can't just go into iTunes and tag something as an audiobook is another mystery to me.

Oh well...

Just my thoughts!

Regards,

Ocriss

• Reply 12 of 20
    icfireball,

It is clear that you and I will NOT agree on th iPod.

That's fine. People have different tastes.

I just wish that you would be a little more open to criticism

of Apple's products. There are pros and cons to everything.

I just feel that the iPod has more cons than people will admit.

Lets be a little more realistic with the information.

Many folks may feel that there are more pros than cons. That's

fine, but lets at least be realistic about the cons.

I have the 4th Generation Grayscale LCD unit.

1) Yes, I'm talking about deleting files from the iPod itself.

My Creative lets me do this directly from the unit.

No need to connect to a computer.

2) Audiobooks - You almost tell the real story here.

You can't just change the MP3's tag and expect the iPod to see it as an Audiobook.

Like you implied...You need to change the format of the file and then mark it as an

audiobook.

3) FM tuners and Mic - So getting two additional features with your unit is no big deal.

You really don't want to use those anyway. When I was in the Apple store looking

for one of the radio add ons he was all full of information about how wonderful they

were, but they were out of them. They sold out because nobody uses/wants those

options. I guess Apple selling its own FM tuner add on is just them grasping at straws

as well. Apple came out with a response just for the heck of it, not because there

was any money to be made there or any demand from consumers.

4) The screen...

I'm glad you didn't have a problem with it, but I did. Just because you didn't have

an issue with it, doesn't mean that it isn't an area for concern. Do a search on the

web and I think you will find that there are at least a few other folks that had

problems with it. I didn't even comment on the scratches, but since you brought it

up... Seems like another issue that Apple wanted to go away.

However...

As I did state previously...

I don't think this will be an issue on the current models as they moved the audio jack.

Hmm... Guess they just felt like moving it. They supposedly made the screens more

difficult to scratch as well. So again this shouldn't be an issue. I guess they like

spending money to change things that aren't really problems.

5) The Wheel...

Like I said. I know some people love it and some people (like me) hate it.

Just my opinion.

6) The EQ...

I don't think you and I are talking about the same thing.

I'm talking about the ability to change the highs and lows across the frequency

spectrum. As far as I know you can only change these presets in iTunes, and then

you can select them on the iPod. There is no graphic display on the iPod itself where

you can tweak specific frequency ranges to your liking.

The balance on my iPod is off as well. The volume of the left channel is not as loud

as the right channel. No it isn't the music. I thought it was just me as my hearing

is pretty sensitive. However, my wife asked me about it and I told her that I noticed

it as well.

7) On the earphones...

Funny that Steve Jobs mentions that they spent a year redesigning the earphones

at one of the media events. I guess they just felt like spending the money. Of

course, I don't really believe that they spent a year on a simple redesign. My point

was that they don't just redesign something simple like the earphones for no reason.

At least most companies don't.

Do a search on the web for the static or popping noise that many experienced with

their earphones. Most folks thought it was related to the jack. It isn't. They strained

the wiring connected to the 3.5 jack on the earphones. That's why most folks found

that by using a different pair of earphones the problem went away. The moral of the

story here is don't try to be neat and wrap the earphone wire around the iPod itself

when it isn't in use. The natural curve of the wire at the jack is opposite to the lines

of the iPod itself. If they put a 90 degree bend and strain relief on the jack itself like

most Sony earphones this would not be an issue.

8) On the hard drive...

I wasn't picking on it because it wore out. I was picking on it because it only lasted a

little longer than the warranty (about 2 months beyond the one year warranty).

Yes, I eject the iPod every time it is connected via iTunes. I know that the hard drive

needs to be parked before disconnecting from the computer.

9) Locking up - Funny, most reviews don't mention the unit locking up.

Even you admit to yours locking up and you admit to it locking up more than once.

Funny but I've had mine lock up several times. I can't tell you the number of times

I've had to wipe everything clean as well. Suddenly iTunes will show that the space

on the hard drive is consumed, but will not show the music files. I've had that one

happen a few times.

Of course, updating the firmware at least 2 times has helped with some of my issues

with the iPod. Funny, I've never had to do that with my Creative. I've never had

to wipe my Creative clean. I've never had the Creative crash my machine. Yep,

for whatever reason iTunes and the iPod crashed my machine. It's the only combo

I've ever seen crash my machine. I've had apps lock up or had to kill an app here or

there, but never had an app other than iTunes actually crash the OS. Yes, it was

Windows XP. No, I haven't had any virus or spyware issues. This may be better

on the Mac as they are more familiar with the OS. However, it still shouldn't be an

issue on Windows either.

10) Battery

It was nice to see that Apple decided to implement a battery replacement program

after a class action suite was brought against them. They still refuse to make it

easy to change the battery. Too much money to be made in charging folks for

the replacement.

Like I said...

Apple seems to be working towards/has resolved some of the issues above.

I just think that people should be aware of some of the product pros and cons

so that they know what to try out before they buy. Most of the reviews and

comments here are too candy coated. They duck the real questions or focus

on something else. Often they present flawed logic as proof of their position.

For example, when the Nano screen and failure issues announced everybody

started pointing to the Ars Technia site as proof of how sturdy the Nano is.

Throwing 2 players 20 ft in the air and having them still work is not a valid

realiability test. No accessories were plugged into the unit. They have no

idea how the unit landed. (i.e. There was nothing scientific about their tests

and the sample size was too small to be meaningful.)

I would have definitely considered the Creative or Sandisk players more

seriously had I been aware of some of the "features" on the Apple. Most

reviews simply imply that they operate the same, but the Apple has a cleaner

interface. I do NOT feel that is a valid statement after having used both.

In Summary...

All I'm saying is that I don't think it is wrong to point out some of the product

weaknesses. Once folks are aware of these items they can try them out or

ask other folks about these things. They can at least make an informed decision.

I never thought to look at whether or not you could delete files from the unit

itself. I never thought to find out that you had to use iTunes for almost everything.

etc...

Normally, I would not recommend buying product service plans either.

That's why I didn't have one on my iPod. I wish I had purchased one, it would

have saved me some money. I figured the only thing that would go bad

in 5 years would be the battery. I'm comfortable with electronics and figured

that I would replace it myself. Luckily, I was able to repair the screen and hard

drive myself as well. However, both items were still expensive. I would have

had to throw the unit away if I wasn't able to do these repairs myself as it would

have cost as much as a new unit to fix at a service center.

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 13 of 20
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

icfireball,

It is clear that you and I will NOT agree on th iPod.

That's fine. People have different tastes.

I just wish that you would be a little more open to criticism

of Apple's products. There are pros and cons to everything.

I just feel that the iPod has more cons than people will admit.

Lets be a little more realistic with the information.

Many folks may feel that there are more pros than cons. That's

fine, but lets at least be realistic about the cons.

I have the 4th Generation Grayscale LCD unit.

1) Yes, I'm talking about deleting files from the iPod itself.

My Creative lets me do this directly from the unit.

No need to connect to a computer.

2) Audiobooks - You almost tell the real story here.

You can't just change the MP3's tag and expect the iPod to see it as an Audiobook.

Like you implied...You need to change the format of the file and then mark it as an

audiobook.

3) FM tuners and Mic - So getting two additional features with your unit is no big deal.

You really don't want to use those anyway. When I was in the Apple store looking

for one of the radio add ons he was all full of information about how wonderful they

were, but they were out of them. They sold out because nobody uses/wants those

options. I guess Apple selling its own FM tuner add on is just them grasping at straws

as well. Apple came out with a response just for the heck of it, not because there

was any money to be made there or any demand from consumers.

4) The screen...

I'm glad you didn't have a problem with it, but I did. Just because you didn't have

an issue with it, doesn't mean that it isn't an area for concern. Do a search on the

web and I think you will find that there are at least a few other folks that had

problems with it. I didn't even comment on the scratches, but since you brought it

up... Seems like another issue that Apple wanted to go away.

However...

As I did state previously...

I don't think this will be an issue on the current models as they moved the audio jack.

Hmm... Guess they just felt like moving it. They supposedly made the screens more

difficult to scratch as well. So again this shouldn't be an issue. I guess they like

spending money to change things that aren't really problems.

5) The Wheel...

Like I said. I know some people love it and some people (like me) hate it.

Just my opinion.

6) The EQ...

I don't think you and I are talking about the same thing.

I'm talking about the ability to change the highs and lows across the frequency

spectrum. As far as I know you can only change these presets in iTunes, and then

you can select them on the iPod. There is no graphic display on the iPod itself where

you can tweak specific frequency ranges to your liking.

The balance on my iPod is off as well. The volume of the left channel is not as loud

as the right channel. No it isn't the music. I thought it was just me as my hearing

is pretty sensitive. However, my wife asked me about it and I told her that I noticed

it as well.

7) On the earphones...

Funny that Steve Jobs mentions that they spent a year redesigning the earphones

at one of the media events. I guess they just felt like spending the money. Of

course, I don't really believe that they spent a year on a simple redesign. My point

was that they don't just redesign something simple like the earphones for no reason.

At least most companies don't.

Do a search on the web for the static or popping noise that many experienced with

their earphones. Most folks thought it was related to the jack. It isn't. They strained

the wiring connected to the 3.5 jack on the earphones. That's why most folks found

that by using a different pair of earphones the problem went away. The moral of the

story here is don't try to be neat and wrap the earphone wire around the iPod itself

when it isn't in use. The natural curve of the wire at the jack is opposite to the lines

of the iPod itself. If they put a 90 degree bend and strain relief on the jack itself like

most Sony earphones this would not be an issue.

8) On the hard drive...

I wasn't picking on it because it wore out. I was picking on it because it only lasted a

little longer than the warranty (about 2 months beyond the one year warranty).

Yes, I eject the iPod every time it is connected via iTunes. I know that the hard drive

needs to be parked before disconnecting from the computer.

9) Locking up - Funny, most reviews don't mention the unit locking up.

Even you admit to yours locking up and you admit to it locking up more than once.

Funny but I've had mine lock up several times. I can't tell you the number of times

I've had to wipe everything clean as well. Suddenly iTunes will show that the space

on the hard drive is consumed, but will not show the music files. I've had that one

happen a few times.

Of course, updating the firmware at least 2 times has helped with some of my issues

with the iPod. Funny, I've never had to do that with my Creative. I've never had

to wipe my Creative clean. I've never had the Creative crash my machine. Yep,

for whatever reason iTunes and the iPod crashed my machine. It's the only combo

I've ever seen crash my machine. I've had apps lock up or had to kill an app here or

there, but never had an app other than iTunes actually crash the OS. Yes, it was

Windows XP. No, I haven't had any virus or spyware issues. This may be better

on the Mac as they are more familiar with the OS. However, it still shouldn't be an

issue on Windows either.

10) Battery

It was nice to see that Apple decided to implement a battery replacement program

after a class action suite was brought against them. They still refuse to make it

easy to change the battery. Too much money to be made in charging folks for

the replacement.

Like I said...

Apple seems to be working towards/has resolved some of the issues above.

I just think that people should be aware of some of the product pros and cons

so that they know what to try out before they buy. Most of the reviews and

comments here are too candy coated. They duck the real questions or focus

on something else. Often they present flawed logic as proof of their position.

For example, when the Nano screen and failure issues announced everybody

started pointing to the Ars Technia site as proof of how sturdy the Nano is.

Throwing 2 players 20 ft in the air and having them still work is not a valid

realiability test. No accessories were plugged into the unit. They have no

idea how the unit landed. (i.e. There was nothing scientific about their tests

and the sample size was too small to be meaningful.)

I would have definitely considered the Creative or Sandisk players more

seriously had I been aware of some of the "features" on the Apple. Most

reviews simply imply that they operate the same, but the Apple has a cleaner

interface. I do NOT feel that is a valid statement after having used both.

In Summary...

All I'm saying is that I don't think it is wrong to point out some of the product

weaknesses. Once folks are aware of these items they can try them out or

ask other folks about these things. They can at least make an informed decision.

I never thought to look at whether or not you could delete files from the unit

itself. I never thought to find out that you had to use iTunes for almost everything.

etc...

Normally, I would not recommend buying product service plans either.

That's why I didn't have one on my iPod. I wish I had purchased one, it would

have saved me some money. I figured the only thing that would go bad

in 5 years would be the battery. I'm comfortable with electronics and figured

that I would replace it myself. Luckily, I was able to repair the screen and hard

drive myself as well. However, both items were still expensive. I would have

had to throw the unit away if I wasn't able to do these repairs myself as it would

have cost as much as a new unit to fix at a service center.

Regards,

Ocriss

I am critical of all products. Just beacuse Apple makes something dosn't make it a good product. I agree the iPod has flaws, but I find it is much better than other products. Also, what is the use of being able to delete files on the unit? The only reason why you would delete a file is to make room for another file. And you can't put another file on unless you plug in your iPod to your computer for which you can then delete the file you wiish to delete? So how does it help to delete stuff on the unit itself? Most Apple hard drives last for 2+ years, usually 3. The hard drives in many cases are the same as the ones on the competitor. Flash hard drives last much much longer. Battery life on iPod is in many cases better than Creative. Ear phones certainly are not worse. My iPod "Locks up" occationally, but NOT by any means often. I have NEVER had to RESTORE my iPod. I have had to reset it (aka press menu + center button) which ALWAYS fixes the problem and very quickly and painlessly at that. It by no means aften often.

I'm not saying your all wrong. I just think you are pissing and moaning about things you don't have full knowledge about.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

I am critical of all products. Just beacuse Apple makes something dosn't make it a good product. I agree the iPod has flaws, but I find it is much better than other products. Also, what is the use of being able to delete files on the unit? The only reason why you would delete a file is to make room for another file. And you can't put another file on unless you plug in your iPod to your computer for which you can then delete the file you wiish to delete? So how does it help to delete stuff on the unit itself?

You are proving my point yet again.

Since I don't desire to use the device as you do, I must be just complaining to be

complaining. I would like to be able to delete files because I often use it to store

radio shows. Often the title for these shows differ only by date or hour. After I've listened to one, it would be nice to delete it right at that time. Hence, I don't have to go

back and listen to bits and pieces of them to figure out which ones I have already heard.

Another valid reason might be that I want to delete a song or file that I don't want to

listen to anymore, and I know that the next time I connect up I'll probably forget to delete it.

Another scenario might be that two people are sharing the unit. One person doesn't like

some of the songs that are loaded and wants to delete them so that they don't see

them when they filter thru the songs available.

Or...

The person using the unit doesn't have access to a computer. They get a friend

to load a bunch of songs from the owner's CD collection onto the unit. They have specific

songs that they want to get rid of, but don't want to bother the person. They just

want to delete the songs.

The above scenarios aren't just pulled from my hind end.

Quote:

Most Apple hard drives last for 2+ years, usually 3. The hard drives in many cases are the same as the ones on the competitor. Flash hard drives last much much longer. Battery life on iPod is in many cases better than Creative. Ear phones certainly are not worse. My iPod "Locks up" occationally, but NOT by any means often. I have NEVER had to RESTORE my iPod. I have had to reset it (aka press menu + center button) which ALWAYS fixes the problem and very quickly and painlessly at that. It by no means aften often.

I'm not saying your all wrong. I just think you are pissing and moaning about things you don't have full knowledge about.

I love this one. I'm not wrong. I'm just complaining because I don't know what I'm

talking about! ????

I'm sorry I was going to just let this argument go, but you are making my point for me.

Hard drives are only good for 2 to 3 years. Are you kidding me?

You better tell Seagate to stop giving 5 year warranties on theirs.

They are gonna lose a ton of money.

I know, I know Toshiba makes the drive that goes in the units. I don't know

what their warranty is, but I bet they expect the drive to last more than 2 years.

I know where you are getting these 2 to 3 year estimates. Apple has told

you to only expect a useful life of about 3 years for the product. No, you don't

praise Apple just because it's Apple.

Flash memory last longer. The life of the flash is based on how many times

you flash it. Hence, if you don't flash it very often it should outlive you!

There is no reason (other than changing the battery) that the product shouldn't

last 10 years or more if it is designed and built right.

So resetting the unit every now and then is okay.

Wow!!! Apple never slams any competitors for crashes, lockups, etc...

Plus, we are talking about a 4th Generation product. You think that's okay!

On the earphones - I was not talking about the audio quality. I was talking about

how they are put together and how easy it is to destroy them when a simple

design change would make them much more robust and not add any significant cost.

Thanks for enlightening me!!

I'll have to remember that I'm only supposed to use the product in the manner

that you or Apple dictates, because you have more knowledge than me. Trying to use

it in a way that's convenient for me just means that I'm ignorant.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

You are proving my point yet again.

Since I don't desire to use the device as you do, I must be just complaining to be

complaining. I would like to be able to delete files because I often use it to store

radio shows. Often the title for these shows differ only by date or hour. After I've listened to one, it would be nice to delete it right at that time. Hence, I don't have to go

back and listen to bits and pieces of them to figure out which ones I have already heard.

Another valid reason might be that I want to delete a song or file that I don't want to

listen to anymore, and I know that the next time I connect up I'll probably forget to delete it.

Another scenario might be that two people are sharing the unit. One person doesn't like

some of the songs that are loaded and wants to delete them so that they don't see

them when they filter thru the songs available.

Or...

The person using the unit doesn't have access to a computer. They get a friend

to load a bunch of songs from the owner's CD collection onto the unit. They have specific

songs that they want to get rid of, but don't want to bother the person. They just

want to delete the songs.

The above scenarios aren't just pulled from my hind end.

I love this one. I'm not wrong. I'm just complaining because I don't know what I'm

talking about! ????

I'm sorry I was going to just let this argument go, but you are making my point for me.

Hard drives are only good for 2 to 3 years. Are you kidding me?

You better tell Seagate to stop giving 5 year warranties on theirs.

They are gonna lose a ton of money.

I know, I know Toshiba makes the drive that goes in the units. I don't know

what their warranty is, but I bet they expect the drive to last more than 2 years.

I know where you are getting these 2 to 3 year estimates. Apple has told

you to only expect a useful life of about 3 years for the product. No, you don't

praise Apple just because it's Apple.

Flash memory last longer. The life of the flash is based on how many times

you flash it. Hence, if you don't flash it very often it should outlive you!

There is no reason (other than changing the battery) that the product shouldn't

last 10 years or more if it is designed and built right.

So resetting the unit every now and then is okay.

Wow!!! Apple never slams any competitors for crashes, lockups, etc...

Plus, we are talking about a 4th Generation product. You think that's okay!

On the earphones - I was not talking about the audio quality. I was talking about

how they are put together and how easy it is to destroy them when a simple

design change would make them much more robust and not add any significant cost.

Thanks for enlightening me!!

I'll have to remember that I'm only supposed to use the product in the manner

that you or Apple dictates, because you have more knowledge than me. Trying to use

it in a way that's convenient for me just means that I'm ignorant.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Ocriss

1) Apple used Seagate for a while I believe.

2) The smaller the HD, the higher the density, and the more likely it is to malfunction. What I was saying is the hard drive that Creative puts in their devices will last the same as the hard drive Apple puts into theirs. I know many 1G iPods that are still kicking -- 5 years later.

3) Flash memory lasts for a long time. It is very similar to RAM except that it stores it when there is no power current, and RAM goes through HUGE amounts of information through the course of its life (a very long life at that).

4) Deleting songs scenarios you mentioned are not very common. Especially because most people listen to their music on shuffle. All of your scenarios come down to the same basic thing: you are too forgetful to do it when you connect it to the computer. There is no need to free up space on your MP3 player until you are going to replace it with something else, and right now you can only replace content by hooking up that MP3 player to the computer. Also, with iPod Linux you can delete files, as well as many other things like play doom. Can you put linux on your Creative? No.

5) It's all in comparison though. You can't complain about Apple if Creative (or any other companies included ear buds) isn't any better.

6) Windows crashes VERY often! And Macs crash on occasion too! You can't expect anything perfect. My iPod crashed less than my Creative did.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

1) Apple used Seagate for a while I believe.

Uh, so what?

That's nice! Seagate makes very good drives.

Your point is...

Quote:

2) The smaller the HD, the higher the density, and the more likely it is to malfunction. What I was saying is the hard drive that Creative puts in their devices will last the same as the hard drive Apple puts into theirs. I know many 1G iPods that are still kicking -- 5 years later.

Uh, doesn't conflict with anything I said before.

You do seem to wish you could retract your 2 year statement.

By the way...

Just so you know. The increased failure rate is due mainly to damage to the platter or the head caused by shock or movement of the "mobile" device. The smaller size and increase in density of the data stored on the platter has very little to do with the higher failure rate.

Quote:

3) Flash memory lasts for a long time. It is very similar to RAM except that it stores it when there is no power current, and RAM goes through HUGE amounts of information through the course of its life (a very long life at that).

I think you are trying to repeat what I have already said. Thanks again.

By the way...

You can't "store" anything to flash memory without voltage and current. However, the contents of the memory remain persistent when there is no voltage or current applied. I think that's what you meant. Again, don't really know why you are repeating what I've pretty much told you. I said Flash memory would outlive you.

Quote:

4) Deleting songs scenarios you mentioned are not very common. Especially because most people listen to their music on shuffle. All of your scenarios come down to the same basic thing: you are too forgetful to do it when you connect it to the computer. There is no need to free up space on your MP3 player until you are going to replace it with something else, and right now you can only replace content by hooking up that MP3 player to the computer. Also, with iPod Linux you can delete files, as well as many other things like play doom. Can you put linux on your Creative? No.

Don't get me started on the shuffle.

I can't figure out why anybody would buy one of those.

(Hey, if some folks like them, that's fine. It is obvious what the limitations are there.)

Uh, no - not all scenarios come down to being forgetful. At least two of the scenarios dealt with convenience. Do a search on audiobooks and I think you will find that there is more than one of us that would like to delete content without connecting to a computer. Again my point wasn't so much the right or wrong of it. My point was that folks should know this before they buy. I never thought to ask. To me it just seemed logical that you would be able to delete things from the unit itself.

Lets assume for a minute that all of the scenarios were about me "being forgetful." So as a software designer you shouldn't try to make the product user friendly and provide features that would make life easier for folks that are forgetful. I guess you should just forget about these folks.

Quote:

5) It's all in comparison though. You can't complain about Apple if Creative (or any other companies included ear buds) isn't any better.

I'm not allowed to complain now.

This just gets better and better.

By the way, I mentioned Sony earphones in my previous post and explained why their design was better.

So Apple follows the pack. Good enough, is good enough???

Also, if that's how you really feel about both products that is fine. Saying that's the way you feel about the headphones for both products is fine as well. That's what reviews are supposed to do. If I were to pick I would say that the ones for the Creative were better, but only slightly better. That's just my opinion.

Quote:

6) Windows crashes VERY often! And Macs crash on occasion too! You can't expect anything perfect. My iPod crashed less than my Creative did.

You just lost me completely. I thnk you need a little more knowledge of what you are talking about here.

I'm sorry! I hate Windows, but at least be honest. Windows XP does NOT crash often. Out of 4 machines that I have running Windows XP, only one has crashed once in the last 3 years. I use these machines daily. I guess all of the Businesses running Windows never get any work done because their machines always crash and they allow this to happen. The 30 people in the office I work at running XP don't sit around looking at each other complaining about all the crashes either. Most just password protect their machines at the end of the day and go home. They return and repeat the cycle, running their computers for months at a time. I'm not talking about an office full of Excel spreadsheet users either. They are typically connecting various electronic devices and test new device drivers as well.

Linux has pros and cons as well. I would prefer to use Linux, but many of the apps that I use regularly/prefer to use just aren't available on Linux.

This isn't 1984 anymore. Windows has been very stable since about 2000. If you have a windows machine and are having that many issue, then find someone who can fix your machine for you. Obviously something is either broken or you do not have windows installed correctly.

Please don't tell me about joe idiot that turns the firewall off, runs every file sharing service, and surfs every porn site with no virus protection.

Do me a favor - Please stop trying to educate me with information that has very little to do with the issues I have raised. Also, repeating what I've already posted back to me as though I didn't know it is a little tiresome. I'm sorry, but it should have been a little obvious to you that if I can open the iPod, replace the LCD, the hard drive, and the battery without issue that I really don't need you to explain flash memory and hard drive operation to me.

You seem fixated on trying to make it appear as though I don't know what I'm talking about, because you know the issues I've raised are valid issues.

Also...

You seem to be taking the position that I'm saying that Apple is bad or the iPod is bad. If the iPod makes you happy, and it works for you that's good. I just think that it is wrong for the reviews to only point out the positives. There are numerous weaknesses and design flaws. If you are going to give a balanced review, then present all sides. Different people may want to use the same tool in different ways. You seem to feel your way is the best way so we shouldn't consider the needs of anybody else.

In the end...

The point of this whole thread was supposed to be about buying or not buying Applecare. Frankly, it would have saved me a great deal of money if I had either purchased Applecare or simply thrown the iPod out after the first failure of the unit. There seem to be a few others in this thread that might think it is a good idea as well. I'm used to holding my equipment for at least 5 years or more. I had no idea I'd have my first failure of the unit at 14 months and another at 16 months. If I had heard the comment from Apple about only expecting a life of 3 years for the product, I would never have purchases one.

Regards,

Ocriss
  • Reply 17 of 20
    You have one big mistake in your responses. And your big mistake is thinking that EVERYTHING I am saying is in disagreement with what you are saying, just because I mention it. Believe it or not, I agree with you to a certain extent on some things!

Quote:

Uh, so what?

That's nice! Seagate makes very good drives.

Your point is...

Uh, doesn't conflict with anything I said before.

You do seem to wish you could retract your 2 year statement.

My point was, you approve of Seagate drives and Apple used them at one point. They use which ever company offers the best value/product and MOST importantly, can handle the volume of sales of the iPods. Right now that is Toshiba and not Seagate. My two year statement was referring to the fact that the extended warranty last two years, meaning Apple is confident that their product should last MORE than two years. And most iPods last much longer than two years. And at that, most of the ones that don't are treated like shit.

Quote:

By the way...

Just so you know. The increased failure rate is due mainly to damage to the platter or the head caused by shock or movement of the "mobile" device. The smaller size and increase in density of the data stored on the platter has very little to do with the higher failure rate.

What you are saying is true on some levels. Hard drives that are in mobile devices are specifically designed and built with extra precautions to protect them from the motion associated with a mobile device. These precautions are designs are not generally used in larger external hard drives or internal hard drives. So as far as motion, unless there is severe damage to a mobile hard drive, the stress on a mobile hard drive which effects it's performance is about equivalently to the stress on a standard sized external hard drive. The biggest issue in hard drive longevity is density of the hard drive. If a mobile hard drive was never moved, it would last for a shorter time than a much larger hard drive of the same capacity.

Quote:

I think you are trying to repeat what I have already said. Thanks again.

By the way...

You can't "store" anything to flash memory without voltage and current. However, the contents of the memory remain persistent when there is no voltage or current applied. I think that's what you meant. Again, don't really know why you are repeating what I've pretty much told you. I said Flash memory would outlive you.

Yes, I was agreeing with you that flash memory longevity is not an issue. The reason why I commented is because you mentioned it in the first place.

Quote:

Don't get me started on the shuffle.

I can't figure out why anybody would buy one of those.

(Hey, if some folks like them, that's fine. It is obvious what the limitations are there.)

You must not be very active then. The iPod shuffle (especially the new one) is PERFECT for sports and running. When you are running or playing sports, you don't have time to select songs -- you have to play it on shuffle, maybe skipping a few songs every now and then. In fact, I contemplated getting a shuffle in addition to my iPod Photo just for sports and running. I decided not to because I got a Nikon D80 and Mac Pro instead, and couldn't justify spending more money.

Quote:

Uh, no - not all scenarios come down to being forgetful. At least two of the scenarios dealt with convenience. Do a search on audiobooks and I think you will find that there is more than one of us that would like to delete content without connecting to a computer. Again my point wasn't so much the right or wrong of it. My point was that folks should know this before they buy. I never thought to ask. To me it just seemed logical that you would be able to delete things from the unit itself.

Lets assume for a minute that all of the scenarios were about me "being forgetful." So as a software designer you shouldn't try to make the product user friendly and provide features that would make life easier for folks that are forgetful. I guess you should just forget about these folks.

Apple does quite a lot to make their products (the iPod is a great example) very easy to use, even for the computer dunce. The scenarios you mentioned are real scenarios, I'll give you that -- But they are very uncommon for the majority of users. The basis for my argument about the deleting of songs is that you can't fill the space until you connect it to the computer, so deleting is just a very slight convenience.

Quote:

I'm not allowed to complain now.

This just gets better and better.

By the way, I mentioned Sony earphones in my previous post and explained why their design was better.

So Apple follows the pack. Good enough, is good enough???

Also, if that's how you really feel about both products that is fine. Saying that's the way you feel about the headphones for both products is fine as well. That's what reviews are supposed to do. If I were to pick I would say that the ones for the Creative were better, but only slightly better. That's just my opinion.

Have you NEVER heard of a qualifier!?! I said you can't criticize Apple for something everybody else does the same/wrong as well. At any rate, my sister had a Sony CD player and the same sony ear buds that come with the MP3 players and she hated them. The only thing she liked was the retractable case they come in.

Quote:

You just lost me completely. I thnk you need a little more knowledge of what you are talking about here.

I'm sorry! I hate Windows, but at least be honest. Windows XP does NOT crash often. Out of 4 machines that I have running Windows XP, only one has crashed once in the last 3 years. I use these machines daily. I guess all of the Businesses running Windows never get any work done because their machines always crash and they allow this to happen. The 30 people in the office I work at running XP don't sit around looking at each other complaining about all the crashes either. Most just password protect their machines at the end of the day and go home. They return and repeat the cycle, running their computers for months at a time. I'm not talking about an office full of Excel spreadsheet users either. They are typically connecting various electronic devices and test new device drivers as well.

Linux has pros and cons as well. I would prefer to use Linux, but many of the apps that I use regularly/prefer to use just aren't available on Linux.

This isn't 1984 anymore. Windows has been very stable since about 2000. If you have a windows machine and are having that many issue, then find someone who can fix your machine for you. Obviously something is either broken or you do not have windows installed correctly.

Please don't tell me about joe idiot that turns the firewall off, runs every file sharing service, and surfs every porn site with no virus protection.

Do me a favor - Please stop trying to educate me with information that has very little to do with the issues I have raised. Also, repeating what I've already posted back to me as though I didn't know it is a little tiresome. I'm sorry, but it should have been a little obvious to you that if I can open the iPod, replace the LCD, the hard drive, and the battery without issue that I really don't need you to explain flash memory and hard drive operation to me.

You seem fixated on trying to make it appear as though I don't know what I'm talking about, because you know the issues I've raised are valid issues.

Also...

You seem to be taking the position that I'm saying that Apple is bad or the iPod is bad. If the iPod makes you happy, and it works for you that's good. I just think that it is wrong for the reviews to only point out the positives. There are numerous weaknesses and design flaws. If you are going to give a balanced review, then present all sides. Different people may want to use the same tool in different ways. You seem to feel your way is the best way so we shouldn't consider the needs of anybody else.

In the end...

The point of this whole thread was supposed to be about buying or not buying Applecare. Frankly, it would have saved me a great deal of money if I had either purchased Applecare or simply thrown the iPod out after the first failure of the unit. There seem to be a few others in this thread that might think it is a good idea as well. I'm used to holding my equipment for at least 5 years or more. I had no idea I'd have my first failure of the unit at 14 months and another at 16 months. If I had heard the comment from Apple about only expecting a life of 3 years for the product, I would never have purchases one.

Windows and Mac OS X are NOT very stable in many regards. Linux is the most stable because it is simpler and undergoes the most security threats (as it is used for most servers), and thus has evolved to be very stable. How is windows so stable if there is a new update every 30 days? Or a security update every 5 days? Mac OS X is not flawless to say the least. But having run Windows and Mac OS X on the same machine, I can certifiably say that Windows crashes more often when doing resources intensive tasks. I would venture to guess that you do not use your computers for very resource intensive tasks such as advanced video editing, image editing/processing, or 3D simulation.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    This thread is dead, just thought I could ask a quick question to see if anyone would reply.

If I go to the Apple store today, decided I want the iPod Touch (which is hidden behind the counters) and I purchase the AppleCare... In a year... when Apple releases the 32GB iPod Touch, Apple will exchange my 16GB for the 32GB? I understand I cannot just walk in to the store asking for the 32GB, but say it "breaks"... any thoughts??
  • Reply 19 of 20
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

...If I go to the Apple store today, decided I want the iPod Touch (which is hidden behind the counters) and I purchase the AppleCare... In a year... when Apple releases the 32GB iPod Touch, Apple will exchange my 16GB for the 32GB? I understand I cannot just walk in to the store asking for the 32GB, but say it "breaks"... any thoughts??

most likely not.

you get "same for same"

as an ex apple tech, i can only shake my head at most of the bullshit ranting above.

most of the ipod repairs i got, looked like there where in hiroshima in 1945 (massivly damaged by customers).

i have loads of ipods (and friends with ipods) and never had a problem with them.

for me: the ipod is still the best player out there.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

most likely not.

you get "same for same"

as an ex apple tech, i can only shake my head at most of the bullshit ranting above.

most of the ipod repairs i got, looked like there where in hiroshima in 1945 (massivly damaged by customers).

i have loads of ipods (and friends with ipods) and never had a problem with them.

for me: the ipod is still the best player out there.

Thanks for the replay, here is my next question. Rather than getting the 16gb Touch... which just isn't big enough for me at the moment. I decided to just fix my current 4G iPod. Do you know where I could find a new Hard drive and possibly a new battery to install myself? Plus, is there any way of getting information off the iPod once it has crashed. If I try to restore, I'll lose everything on it. If I don't restore, iPod won't work. I'd like to get my top rated songs before restoring. Thank for the help.