What about new MacBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, given the specs and release date of the MBPs, what is the new line of MacBooks going to look like? Will black be an option for all models? Will it have Core 2 Duo? Also, when is it going to be announced? The 31st maybe?

Speculation and rumors are welcome, actual info (with references?) is preferred.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    akkakk Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_spork

So, given the specs and release date of the MBPs, what is the new line of MacBooks going to look like? Will black be an option for all models? Will it have Core 2 Duo? Also, when is it going to be announced? The 31st maybe?

Speculation and rumors are welcome, actual info (with references?) is preferred.

Somewhere here on the forum I saw an educated guess that the new MB would be released during the second half of November. I think that makes quite good sense, but you never know.

My guess is that the new MB will have the C2Duo cpu, maybe more ram (1 Gb) and maybe a slightly bigger HD. No more changes will be made.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think you're shittin' outta luck!

...Just kidding

A.I. did say by Thanksgiving, so soon...

It should be noted, meanwhile, that ThinkSecret is reporting that the MacBook Pro "bump" announced today was Apple's last hardware revision for the year. Their 2¢ doesn't mean much as of late though.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I'm going to be pragmatic and suggest only a straightforward (but welcome) upgrade to the MacBook:

- 2 and 2.16GHz Core 2 Duos

- 1GB of RAM standard

- 80 and 120GB hard drives

- 6X Superdrives where applicable

- maybe a Superdrive standard on the base model

Don't expect dedicated graphics or anything revolutionary.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    January MacWorld.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus

I'm going to be pragmatic and suggest only a straightforward (but welcome) upgrade to the MacBook:

- 2 and 2.16GHz Core 2 Duos

- 1GB of RAM standard

- 80 and 120GB hard drives

- 6X Superdrives where applicable

- maybe a Superdrive standard on the base model

Don't expect dedicated graphics or anything revolutionary.

yes I agree that would make some great macbook improvements.

Although I would want to upgrade mine to 2gb of ram at least.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer

January MacWorld.

You might be right.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

You might be right.

yeah macworld seems the most likely....but we'd all rather before the holidays. if it isnt until macworld, would it be worth waiting for, for some reason?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    I think it's time we got a 15" MacBook. There are a few reasons I think Apple must do this (MUST, I say):

1) The only "consumer-size" notebook Apple has is the 13". Thus, for people that need more screen real estate, there needs to be a 15".

2) Everybody else offers it. Dell with Inspiron line and other box manufacturers all have 15" consumer models as WELL AS 15" Professional models (Dell Latitude/the other name I forget they use; is it precision?)

3) Being in the market for a 15" notebook, I would love to get the MacBook Pro. But it comes in $500 more than a similarly-specced Dell. Besides, I can get the CDMA built-in on the Dell. I think that $500 is a big price to pay for getting OS X + iLife. I must admit, though, that there is no comparison b/w the design of the MBPro and the Inspiron line (except for maybe the 12" XPS,

-For these $500, I would be able to get Adobe competitors to iLife and AV subscription for 5 years (hopefully Vista will take care of the AV though)

The only way I see Apple offering a 15" MacBook is if they add many many many more differentiating features to the MacBook Pro line. Maybe a docking solution (although the consumer-based Inspiron comes with it), or maybe more ports and built-in cellular wireless HSDPA or CDMA. So if they don't add many differentiating features to the MBP and offer a 15" MacBook, they MacBook will surely eat into the MBP's sales.

Or they could simply bring the MPB's price down.

Anyone agree/disagree?
  • Reply 9 of 51
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    15" MacBook Black $1699

2.16Ghz Core Duo

Integrated Graphics

1GB RAM

100 GB HDD
  • Reply 10 of 51
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Everybody else offers it. Dell with Inspiron line and other box manufacturers all have 15" consumer models as WELL AS 15" Professional models (Dell Latitude/the other name I forget they use; is it precision?)

Looking at the difference in market performance I don't think Apple needs to do anything just because Dell is doing it.

Quote:

Being in the market for a 15" notebook, I would love to get the MacBook Pro. But it comes in $500 more than a similarly-specced Dell.

Nope, the similarly spec'd Dell XPS M1710 is $689 more than the $2499 MacBook Pro.

The M1710 has a 4 pin firewire port not a 6 pin that comes standard in all Macs. The Dell does not have an internet camera, optical audio I/O, or remote control. Is slightly thicker and 3 ponds heavier than the MBP.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede

yeah macworld seems the most likely....but we'd all rather before the holidays. if it isn't until macworld, would it be worth waiting for, for some reason?

Oh yeah there's a few reasons. New RAM and Flash implementations that may allow quick loading of applications, quicker start up times and other cool stuff. Bigger hard drives as standard, more RAM as standard, larger RAM upgradeability, longer battery life, faster processors, maybe cheaper too, who knows?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    "January MacWorld."

What!!!??? WHY! NOOOO!!!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Looking at the difference in market performance I don't think Apple needs to do anything just because Dell is doing it.

Nope, the similarly spec'd Dell XPS M1710 is $689 more than the $2499 MacBook Pro.

The M1710 has a 4 pin firewire port not a 6 pin that comes standard in all Macs. The Dell does not have an internet camera, optical audio I/O, or remote control. Is slightly thicker and 3 ponds heavier than the MBP.

*I'm talking about the 15" models here FYI. Haven't even looked at 17"s.

Here is the way I see it from a marketing standpoint:

-Dell's light-color-changing XPS line (as well as Latitude and more so the Precision line) are analogous to the 'Pro models Apple has. Dell's XPS line ranges from 12" to 17" wit not 15" yet.

-Dell's thick-and-heavy Inspiron line is analogous to the "without Pro" nomenclature in Apple's line-up: aka the MacBook.

So if this is true, then for the "consumer" line/market, Dell offers everything from 14" to 17" while Apple only offers the 13".

What I want to see is a larger than 13" notebook from Apple - a MacBook, sans "Pro" price - with dedicated graphics (just like the thick and heavy Inspiron I configured earlier had as option -- just in case for some games I want to play) for much less than the 'Pro line-up - somewhere in the $1500 range. I don't need FW800 but 400 is a must.

Also on the topic of FW on the Dell: one can purchase an ExpressCard FIreWire card and have FireWire 400/800 6-pin up the wazoo.

Like I said, however, this would eat in on the 15" MBP sales, so there need to be more differentiating features between the sans-Pro and the Pro lines, something more than FW800, ExpressCard slot, and (as of now) - dedicated graphics.

P.S. the Dell I configured was the Inspiron and it had an Express Card also. What's more, it had as an inexpensive option a remote that fits into the ExpressCard slot that controls Media Center Windows software.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

*I'm talking about the 15" models here FYI. Haven't even looked at 17"s.

I wasn't looking at screen size I was looking at functionality. The M1710 was the closest Dell laptop I could find with a 2.33GHZ Core 2 Duo and other specs similar to the MBP.

Quote:

So if this is true, then for the "consumer" line/market, Dell offers everything from 14" to 17" while Apple only offers the 13".

Dell sold six times as many computers as Apple did but only made $39 million more in profit than Apple this past quarter.

Apple's simplified product line is apart of the reason why.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    If you want a comparison with equal screen size.

The XPS 1710 is $523 more than the 17" MBP with specs as close as I can get them.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

I wasn't looking at screen size I was looking at functionality. The M1710 was the closest Dell laptop I could find with a 2.33GHZ Core 2 Duo and other specs similar to the MBP.

Apple's simplified product line is apart of the reason why.

The Inspiron 15" __ has a Core2Duo 2.16 available.

I still want a consumer-oriented MacBook with at least dedicated graphics as an option. Don't get me in the wrong way, I would never compare a Dell with a Mac directly, but I'm trying to see it the way some of my uninformed acquantances shop for computers.

After looking at Dell's line-up, though, I must say I'm interested in the fact that they even offer CDMA wireless functionality built-in as well as dedicated graphics on their consumer-oriented model.

Like I said, if I'm able to get ded. graphics and an express card slot on a MacBook, along with a bigger screen, for less than the cost of the 15" MBP, I'll be one very very happy Mac head.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

The Inspiron 15" __ has a Core2Duo 2.16 available.

The 2.16 Merom costs $425

The 2.33 Merom costs $670

The price difference is reflected in the cost of the laptop.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    *sigh* This thread was not intended to be a discussion of the need for a 15" MacBook or the merits and prices of Dell "equivalents". I'm looking for things more along the lines of, "no, dr_spork, don't despair! of course the new MacBooks are coming out before January! Here's proof:" or maybe talk about the likely features, etc. I'll start:

Despite my strong hope to the contrary, I think they are likely to keep the top model only black, and the others only white. Having two case options for each model would mean they can't build all of them ahead of time. While I'm sure they have capable people who could determine how many of each color to make, including the option would still be more complicated and probably less profitable. Anyone disagree?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

I'm looking for things more along the lines of, "no, dr_spork, don't despair! of course the new MacBooks are coming out before January!

Its impossible for us to say for sure. The Macbook will likely use 2.0 and 2.16 Core 2 Duo. Dell will ship laptops with those processors in a couple of weeks.

It seems highly likely Apple will announce/ship the new Macbooks somewhere around the same time.

Quote:

Despite my strong hope to the contrary, I think they are likely to keep the top model only black, and the others only white.

People are willing to pay a premium for black. Since it worked I see no reason why Apple would not continue with that pricing structure.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Late November/early December...

13 & 15 inch (premium model) screens.

2.0 Ghz & 2.16 Ghz (premium model) Core2Duo

1GB RAM as standard across range.

80GB HDD - 120GB HDD (premium model)

SuperDrive standard across range. (maybe dual layer in premium model)

Dedicated graphics (premium model)

Pure speculation/wishful thinking.