Where to buy GF4mx??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok, i know that apple sells them bundled w/ their new machines, but other than that, is it possible to buy one anywhere???? ive looked at dealmac, macmall, mac connection, apple site, and ebay, and i cant seem to find one, what gives? dont tell me that the only way i can upgrade my vid card is a 400$ gf4ti from apple.

btw, if i cant get a 4mx, which radeon is equivilent to it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Not sure on where to get a 4mx, but the Radeon equiv will be the Radeon 9000.

<a href="http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10335163&loc=101"; target="_blank">http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10335163&loc=101</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Radeon 9000 Pro is a much better card than the GeForce4 MX, FYI. It's roughly equivalent to the Radeon 8500.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Isn't there a Radeon 9000 standard and a Radeon 9000 Pro? I think the Pro is exactly twice as good as the standard, putting the Pro on equal footing with the 8500 (which itself is a little below the GeForce 4 Ti).

The Radeon 9000 standard is pretty average. I think it might be about the same as the Radeon 7500 but with more VRAM buffer (64 MB instead of 32 MB).

You could always check eBay.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Isn't there a Radeon 9000 standard and a Radeon 9000 Pro?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's only a Mac edition of the 9000 Pro right now, AFAIK.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    so is this one any good?

<a href="http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=663446"; target="_blank">mac mall link</a>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Unless you can flash it to make it a Mac version, than it won't be of too much use.

As Eugene said, there's only the Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition AFAIK.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hmm, but it says pc/mac in the description
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Not seeing it. All I see is:

System Requirements :

Microsoft Windows 98/ME, Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP
  • Reply 9 of 11
    there is a spot on the page that says compatabillity: universal, and also, the link i followed to get to that page listed compatability as both
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by ThunderPoit:

<strong>there is a spot on the page that says compatabillity: universal, and also, the link i followed to get to that page listed compatability as both</strong><hr></blockquote>

If ATI had a flasher and Mac firmware available, then it might be possible, but I don't think they do, and I haven't heard of anybody who has tried.

It's better to spend the extra $40 or so and go for the true Mac Edition.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    damn, money sux:/

how much better is the 8500 than the 9000?