Let the fun begin!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
17" Powerbook, Airport Extreme, Safari browser, so what do you think?

What about us Powermac users, nothing new for us?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So far, the browser is awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, first keynote i've been damn happy with in a long time.

amazing!

thanks Apple, Steve and co. Keep 'em coming!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    The 12" Powerbook seems really neat and I'd consider getting one if I had a need for a laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    does anyone know what the bus speed is on the new 17" ?

It must be huge!!!! Funny though it didn´t look that big in the hands on mini me ...

Can´t find it on the apple site.

Is it same as in the powermacs ?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Originally posted by maclogic:

<strong>does anyone know what the bus speed is on the new 17" ?

It must be huge!!!! Funny though it didn´t look that big in the hands on mini me ...

Can´t find it on the apple site.

Is it same as in the powermacs ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It uses PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM so I'm going out on a limb here a saying 167MHz bus. Those more knowledgable than me can confirm.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It doesn't look like the new airport cards woork in current machines (including the TiBook I got just weeks ago).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why did Apple switch to NVIDIA in their laptops? I thought ATI had better quality, performance, and energy use in mobiles?

Anyway I'm buying that miniPB. HELLS YEA.

Of course we need a better name than miniPB or MiniTi. MiniTi looks kinda cool. MiniAl just doesn't have that ring.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    What a beautiful computer -- I might have reason to look to upgrade from my Pismo, now! The 15" Tibooks just always looked cheap and fragile to me, but this 17" just screams "classy!" No cheap plastic around the edge -- all aluminum, no paint -- just like we've wished. Wow. Does anybody think they know what's going to happen when the 970 decides to roll out? Could a portable version be made to put in this same case -- it seems like it's possible, very possible. A HUGE surface area to disperse the heat over - many, many vents from what I can see in photographs (one huge one at the hinge, two smaller ones at the front).

I think they could just pop a 970 in there -- they wouldn't spend all that money figuring this design out and then not allowing for the next-gen proc, unless the 'books aren't going to have it for a while. And he did say it's "the year of the notebook." Perhaps we won't see the 970 til much later than we thought.

Oh, well. This is a terrific surprise, something to aspire towards owning and keeping for the rest of one's life, if even to preserve in a glass box after it's seen its life