Apple says firmware update solves MacBook shutdowns

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First on AI: Apple Computer on Thursday released a software update for its 13-inch Intel-based MacBooks that it claims will resolve an extremely frustrating issue where some of the notebooks would shut down randomly during use.

"The MacBook SMC Firmware Update v1.1 improves the MacBook's internal monitoring system and addresses issues with unexpected shutdowns," the Mac maker wrote in a support article on its website. "This update is recommended for all MacBook systems, including those that received warranty repair."

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company said MacBook owners may use the Software Update feature of Mac OS X or download the MacBook SMC Firmware Update v1.1 from its website.

"If your MacBook is running Mac OS X 10.4.6, you won't be able to see the SMC Update until you update to Mac OS X 10.4.8," Apple noted. "Once you have updated your system software, the SMC Update will appear as an option in Software Updates."

On the other hand, MacBooks running Mac OS X 10.4.7 will be able to download and install the SMC Update, so it is not essential that users update their system software. However, Apple always recommends updating to the latest version of the system software.

Seemingly stumped over the source of the shutdown issue until now, Apple in September began telling affected customers to contact its Apple Care support staff to arrange for their notebooks to receive hardware diagnostics and treatment.

In some instances, the company replaced the MacBook's processor heat sink and in others, the entire logic-board. However, several users who had sacrificed their relatively new notebooks to Apple's support depots for successive repairs continued to report shutdown issues.

The mounting frustration over the problem eventually came to a head earlier this month, as MacBook owners repeatedly plagued by the issue began organizing a class action lawsuit with the help of ClassAction.com.

Apple said customers who continue to experience trouble with their MacBook after applying the new firmware update, or those whose MacBook is in a state that will not allow new software installations, should contact AppleCare for further assistance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    just in time. my macbook has been shutting down randomly for about a week. got it in august, week 27.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Never had any shutodown issues with my macbook... Applied the update with no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Mine has since been repaired... I've had no shutdowns since... but before the repair my MB wouldn't stay on lone enough to download anything.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    my MacBook is fine the question is whether i really need to update the firmware or not? Me is not sure
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Works for me. My problem was I had to restart 3-4 times from a cold shutdown. Never had a problem once I got going. Just restarted after letting the book cool off and WOW no problem. Knew if I waited long enough Apple would come up with something so I would't have to send it in.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ace Fury

Works for me. My problem was I had to restart 3-4 times from a cold shutdown. Never had a problem once I got going. Just restarted after letting the book cool off and WOW no problem. Knew if I waited long enough Apple would come up with something so I would't have to send it in.

You guys are kinda lucky on the not sending it in part, us MBP owners that had the whine had to send them in multiple times before Apple finally got the fix. Then we had to send it in again!

But it got fixed and that is what counts looking back.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    About damn time, my gf was starting to get worried, which obviously puts pressure on me, being the one that switched her and all.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan

my MacBook is fine the question is whether i really need to update the firmware or not? Me is not sure

Me, you should do it!
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

About damn time, my gf was starting to get worried, which obviously puts pressure on me, being the one that switched her and all.

Well, at least you have a girlfriend! I wonder how many others around here can say that.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well, at least you have a girlfriend! I wonder how many others around here can say that.

lol, I guess! You're married right?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

lol, I guess! You're married right?

You could say that.

Twenty five years of marriage, and she STILL objects to my having a girlfriend!

Can you imagine?

I guess I should ask my daughter what she thinks.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

You could say that.

Can you imagine?

LOL! You're killing me man.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

LOL! You're killing me man.

But, it's all true!
  • Reply 14 of 37
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:

You could say that.

Can you imagine?

Ha! You guy's are too funny!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

Ha! You guy's are too funny!

That's why everybody comes here. 8)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

I have a boyfriend does that count?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartroad

I have a boyfriend does that count?

Sure, why not? Some of my male friends also have boyfriends.

Though I don't know by your name just what you are.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

You could say that.

Can you imagine?

That's gold.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I've read in several places that the root cause of the shutdowns is due to a shorted temperature sensor. Seems the insulation for the wire running to the sensor is sometimes in contact with the processor heatsink and it melts under high temperature. If this is true then the only way this firmware fix is going to have any affect on this hardware problem is if Apple's new firmware is now ignoring the sensor if it detects a short. So instead of a shutdown, any MB experiencing this problem will now just continue to run with one sensor out of service. Better than a total unexpected shutdown I guess, but it would be better if the hardware were fixed.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings

I've read in several places that the root cause of the shutdowns is due to a shorted temperature sensor. Seems the insulation for the wire running to the sensor is sometimes in contact with the processor heatsink and it melts under high temperature. If this is true then the only way this firmware fix is going to have any affect on this hardware problem is if Apple's new firmware is now ignoring the sensor if it detects a short. So instead of a shutdown, any MB experiencing this problem will now just continue to run with one sensor out of service. Better than a total unexpected shutdown I guess, but it would be better if the hardware were fixed.

#ifdef MACBOOK_FIX

if (MACBOOK == true)

fan_on = true;

#endif