Overseas pub causes commotion with new MacBook rumors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
DigiTimes, which has historically been off the mark when it comes to predicting Apple Computer's future hardware directions, is floating a new rumor this week of a "15.4-inch MacBook" supposedly due for production by the middle of next year.

Citing unnamed sources at notebook manufacturers, the Taiwan-based publication on Thursday said Foxconn Electronics "will produce a 15.4-inch MacBook model for Apple for the first time, with shipments to commence in May 2007."

As a result of the move, Asustek will no longer be the sole supplier for Apple's MacBook line, according to the report. It states that, following the launch of 13.3-inch models earlier this year, Apple has now decided to push 15.4-inch notebooks.

The rumors are similar to those spun by analysts at Credit Lyonnais Securities Asia earlier in the month. According to that report, Foxconn had received notebook orders from Apple for volume shipments of one new MacBook model by the end of 2006.

The Credit Lyonnais report did not indicate whether the orders were for Apple's 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro professional notebooks or its consumer-oriented 13-inch MacBook models.

Offering yet another twist to the ongoing MacBook manufacturing saga -- and possibly shedding some doubt on DigiTime's latest claims -- are reports from the seemingly more reliable Commercial Times, which in August stated that Foxconn was most interested in building Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro high-end notebooks.

It remains unclear whether sources for the Taiwanese investment firms and trade publications have stumbled upon plans for Apple's future notebook directions or if they've simply confused the company's two MacBook lines due to similarities in the notebooks' naming schemes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Why would this cause a commotion? I remain unconcerned.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    This is a good move if they are referring to the MacBook.

Many older consumers want a consumer laptop but are deterred by the MacBook's tiny screen.

A 15" screen + Leopard's resolution independent GUI = WIN, WIN
  • Reply 3 of 56
    cause those damn kids get so worked up over nuthin' these days!

IF this happens to be true id be a little excited. I'd prefer a 13.3'' MacBook Pro. In my mind that gives it more options like a graphics card made by ATI or Nvidia.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I would, also, like to see a 13.3-inch MBP. I like the size and portability of the MacBook, but need the power and graphics card from the MacBook Pro. Come on Mr. Jobs! PLEASE!!!
  • Reply 5 of 56
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiMac

I would, also, like to see a 13.3-inch MBP. I like the size and portability of the MacBook, but need the power and graphics card from the MacBook Pro. Come on Mr. Jobs! PLEASE!!!

Exactly my thoughts. Smaller MacBook Pro's is by far more interesting than bigger consumer MacBooks. I would have bought a small pro one if there was one. Now I'm thinking to keep my PB 12" and getting an iMac in the meanwhile for serious work. Then if/when that darn MacBook Thin arrives perhaps I'll swap my PB 12"..
  • Reply 6 of 56
    I hope this doesn't mean the 13.3 Macbooks won't get dual core 2s until May

Apple should make a 15.4 macbook, AND a 13.3 MBP! Oh and they should maybe consider an ultra portible like a 10 inch or whatever the sizes are
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Wouldn't this hinder sales for their 15" MBP??
  • Reply 8 of 56
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Why did Apple have problems creating a strong enough value proposition for the 12" Powerbook compared to the 12" iBook (at least in the eyes of a lot of vocal (potential) customers who complained loudly here about the Powerbook being just a more expensive iBook) when other manufaturers (e.g., Dell) do not have such a problem?

Dell can sell similiar laptops (in terms of screen and processor) to vastly different prices in their different lines.

I think one reason is that Dell has such a complicated product portfolio that few customers really understand it. Apple, however, has such a simple lineup that is very easy to see where you get a good value for your money and where you are padding Apple's margins (black MacBook).
  • Reply 9 of 56
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Overseas PUB????

I was expecting to read about a bunch of drunk Irishmen in Cork slugging it out after drinking one too many (talk about uber Nerds!!) or something!!!

WTF is an "overseas pub"???
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Pub-lication I think ZO.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    If there is a 15.4" MacBook, what would it get since there will be more room to put things? The only things I can think of are (1) a full size DVI port and (2) a third USB port. With the exception of the obvious upgrades I expect everything else to stay like it is.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

Wouldn't this hinder sales for their 15" MBP??

I don't understand why it would. If you need / want a pro machine, you get the MBP. If you don't need the pro features (separate GPU, FW800, dual-link DVI, sleaker body, etc.), get the MB. Maybe this hypothetical 15" MB would have a bit lower resolution screen.

I think it would make sense given that the iBook line used to have two screen sizes, right now, there is only one size.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Why can't they just get me a low power consumption 10" notebook made?
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO

Overseas PUB????

I was expecting to read about a bunch of drunk Irishmen in Cork slugging it out after drinking one too many (talk about uber Nerds!!) or something!!!

That is the funniest thing I have read today. Thanks ZO!!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    ah, what AppleInsider does best: simultaneously diss and quote fringe sources to generate page visits.

i've got some *real* news for you, readers--NOBODY has "inside sources" at Apple. i've worked there. nobody who works there that i've ever met wants to risk their job to tell some dork "hey, MacBooks are coming next week."
  • Reply 16 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO

Overseas PUB????

WTF is an "overseas pub"???

Yeah I was too, those Corkonians sure do drink a lot.

/Waterfordian myself.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

This is a good move if they are referring to the MacBook.

Many older consumers want a consumer laptop but are deterred by the MacBook's tiny screen.

A 15" screen + Leopard's resolution independent GUI = WIN, WIN

I wasn't deterred. My previous laptop was a Powerbook G4 with a 15 inch screen.

The current Macbook pro is overkill for me , that was my deterrent. I like the 13 inch screen!
  • Reply 18 of 56
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulyssespdx

ah, what AppleInsider does best: simultaneously diss and quote fringe sources to generate page visits.

i've got some *real* news for you, readers--NOBODY has "inside sources" at Apple. i've worked there. nobody who works there that i've ever met wants to risk their job to tell some dork "hey, MacBooks are coming next week."

Shut up Woz!!

• Reply 19 of 56
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I don't understand why it would. If you need / want a pro machine, you get the MBP. If you don't need the pro features (separate GPU, FW800, dual-link DVI, sleaker body, etc.), get the MB.

I would guess that the vast majority get the MacBook Pro (instead of a MacBook) because they want a 15" screen (and/or the higher resolution). Just how many owners of MacBook Pros have FW800 peripherals, a 30" screen or an ExpressCard device? Certainly a minority only, all others will be tempted to forgoe the shinyness and save $500 - $1000 and instead get a 15.4" MacBook. Just ask Dell what fraction of their laptop sales for a given screen size and resolution come from the cheap product lines and what from the expensive ones.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulyssespdx

While I agree that DigiTimes can be suspect, they are wrong almost as often as they are right, sources from Apple aren't needed most of the time.

There are contacts inside the various manufactures, and suppliers to know when changes in their lines are about to be made, and which parts that certain manufactures use for certain machines, in the volumes they use them, are changing direction to end up where they do.

Apple also makes purchases which can't be kept secret.

These things add up.