Which Santa are you waiting on?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Who plans on getting the new MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo for Christmas, and who is going to wait for Santa Rosa to come out? I'd like to know what people think on the matter, personally I think I will wait because of the fact that a) its not that far down the road b) it's a big update. But then again there are those that argue that there will always be impending updates. You should also take into consideration the possability of NAND being available with the Santa Rosa MBP. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Hope I don't sound too ignorant, but what is NAND?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

Hope I don't sound too ignorant, but what is NAND?

NAND is a type of flash memory that would allow for limited use of a computer with out having to turn on the hard drive. It would also drastically increase the amount of time needed to boot a computer.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilsn1020

It would also drastically increase the amount of time needed to boot a computer.

Think you have a typo in there somewhere.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'm still trying to decide, but I think I'm probably going to get C2D. I would really like Santa Rosa, but I don't want to wait any longer than I have to and the only thing I would really like is the hybrid HDD, but I can live without that. On the other hand, I don't want to buy it and have it outdated in 6 months, but like you said, there'll always be an update around the corner anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I am a current owner of 17 1.5Ghz... Waiting for Santa Rosa. These CD2s are 7 times faster than my machine. The Santas will be something like 11x faster with all the exta architecture improvements... not just a faster processer. EVERYTHING gets improved. The FSB is a big deal for speed. WiMax too will be cool, but just bonus. Faster graphics, FSB and Memory, AND processor... it makes the CD2 look "fast" "FLAME ON" fast. Now that Itel is the supplier, Apple will have to deal with their product announcement cycles allowing people like me a road map to wait for finally. I don't have to wonder what is coming. I know. And I get to choose when to pick the upgrade that makes sense for me without product cycle regret.

I bought my 17 G$ 1.5 Ghz, only when I knew a G5 Powerbook wasn't coming. I figure three product cycles is a good in between time. Every previous upgrade I have moved to was at least 4 times as fast as the current computer I had at the time. This next one, will be a 11x speed bump. That is insane! Can't wait!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    whats santa rosa?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfdesign

Faster graphics, FSB and Memory, AND processor... it makes the CD2 look "fast" "FLAME ON" fast.

Looks like someone's been watching too many Fantastic 4 reruns...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Think you have a typo in there somewhere.

haha yeah i mean decrease not increase..
  • Reply 9 of 13
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    How much NAND memory are we talking about here?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I'll bet the expression is "But where are the presents?"

Tim

'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6

'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
  • Reply 11 of 13
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilsn1020 View Post

Who plans on getting the new MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo for Christmas, and who is going to wait for Santa Rosa to come out? I'd like to know what people think on the matter, personally I think I will wait because of the fact that a) its not that far down the road b) it's a big update. But then again there are those that argue that there will always be impending updates. You should also take into consideration the possability of NAND being available with the Santa Rosa MBP. Any thoughts?

There are two types of people when it comes to buying. The first type is identified by hyping yet to be released products, and waiting excitedly for something that they really have no clue about.

The second type is identified by buying and using what is available now, whenever now might be. They have the advantage of using newer equipment while the first type dreams about it. The first type never considers that they could be using something better than they have, they just keep waiting for something that nobody can have.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

There are two types of people when it comes to buying. The first type is identified by hyping yet to be released products, and waiting excitedly for something that they really have no clue about.

The second type is identified by buying and using what is available now, whenever now might be. They have the advantage of using newer equipment while the first type dreams about it. The first type never considers that they could be using something better than they have, they just keep waiting for something that nobody can have.

OUCH......
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'm waiting for a Sexy Santa.