Overseas pub causes commotion with new MacBook rumors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO

Overseas PUB????

I was expecting to read about a bunch of drunk Irishmen in Cork slugging it out after drinking one too many (talk about uber Nerds!!) or something!!!

WTF is an "overseas pub"???

i know, it's odd abbreviating a word when the result is another, already existing word. it just turns headlines a little confusing.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Yeah I was too, those Corkonians sure do drink a lot.

/Waterfordian myself.

Does that explain why they go to an overseas pub?
  • Reply 23 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steinar

Does that explain why they go to an overseas pub?

If they don't like warm beer, sure.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas

Exactly my thoughts. Smaller MacBook Pro's is by far more interesting than bigger consumer MacBooks. I would have bought a small pro one if there was one. Now I'm thinking to keep my PB 12" and getting an iMac in the meanwhile for serious work. Then if/when that darn MacBook Thin arrives perhaps I'll swap my PB 12"..

I am somewhat disturbed to see how many people now declare they would like to see a 13" MacBook Pro. Earlier, people missed a 12" model. For my part, the iMac is the first in switching line; I look forward to replace my almost five year old 15" lamp with a new 24" model this winter. But after that I need a replacement for my 12" PowerBook. I will keep my PB for as long as I can - it is only three years old - in the hope that Apple will provide something very lightweight after all. My fear is that it will not materialize. As far as I have read, the small form factor laptops amount to only around 10 percent of the full range.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Foxconn Electronics "will produce a 15.4-inch MacBook model for Apple for the first time, with shipments to commence in May 2007."

Oh yeah, and it's probably gonna have Santa Rosa (due april 2007) in it!

It's more likely that they will introduce a MB style 15,4-inch MBP. Let's just hope they keep it silver.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O

Oh yeah, and it's probably gonna have Santa Rosa (due april 2007) in it!

It's more likely that they will introduce a MB style 15,4-inch MBP. Let's just hope they keep it silver.

I doubt they will produce a MBP that looks like a MB, silver or not.

They have to differenciate the two lines, and the case is the first place to do that. MBP buyers won't find it amusing if the machine emulates a cheaper machine, even if it were gold colored plastic.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

If they don't like warm beer, sure.

Well, in my humble opinion quality beer should never be kept in a fridge. They say American beer is like making love in a canoe: it is f**ing close to water. But that is not true. There are great beers on both coasts, Anchor Steam on one side and Samuel Adams on the other. But I digress. Sorry.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steinar

Well, in my humble opinion quality beer should never be kept in a fridge. They say American beer is like making love in a canoe: it is f**ing close to water. But that is not true. There are great beers on both coasts, Anchor Steam on one side and Samuel Adams on the other. But I digress. Sorry.

When beer is made, on purpose, to be served warm, then it's great.

But when it's not, and it is, it's not.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

When beer is made, on purpose, to be served warm, then it's great.

But when it's not, and it is, it's not.

That sounds logically ... I think.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    All I want's a MacBook Mini.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    All I want is a sub-$1000 ($999 or less) MacBook. In fact, that's gonna be my new sig.

• Reply 32 of 56
    this rumor is completely bogus. all thats happened here is apple has asked foxconn to help them make more 15in macbook pros, but at some point down the newsie chain 'macbook pro' was shortened to 'macbook', hence the confusion. there's no news here. there's certainly no 15in macbook in the works.

but!.... if i turn out to be wrong, i'll buy one immediately. =)
  • Reply 33 of 56
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

Why can't they just get me a low power consumption 10" notebook made?

I second that wholeheartedly. Well, maybe not 10". 11" widescreen might be nice. I'm holding on to my old 12" PB for at least another year hoping and praying that Apple will see fit to design a subnote for those of us who don't want to carry bricks (not power bricks) around all day. It doesn't even need to be particularly powerful. Nobody would ever consider a subnotebook a desktop replacement. Anybody who buys one would have it to supplement a desktop. Make it small with good battery life and running OS X and I'll be in heaven. I don't want to have to keep looking at the Vaio TX series with envy. If Sony can run Core Solos in those and get 5-11 hours of battery life along with a DVD burner in a sub-3 pound system, Apple has no excuse for not being able to do the same. We're not talking Apples and oranges anymore. It's the same, damn processor.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

I second that wholeheartedly. Well, maybe not 10". 11" widescreen might be nice. I'm holding on to my old 12" PB for at least another year hoping and praying that Apple will see fit to design a subnote for those of us who don't want to carry bricks (not power bricks) around all day. It doesn't even need to be particularly powerful. Nobody would ever consider a subnotebook a desktop replacement. Anybody who buys one would have it to supplement a desktop. Make it small with good battery life and running OS X and I'll be in heaven. I don't want to have to keep looking at the Vaio TX series with envy. If Sony can run Core Solos in those and get 5-11 hours of battery life along with a DVD burner in a sub-3 pound system, Apple has no excuse for not being able to do the same. We're not talking Apples and oranges anymore. It's the same, damn processor.

I will cave on just about any feature you want as long as it runs OS X and is smaller than my 12" iBook and has 8 - 11 hours battery life. To heck with the optical drive at all.

I am with you, that Sony looks great and don't think I haven't thought about puting OSX on one, if I were that type of person that is. Apple better do something because there is a clear need for this and I predict that they will fly off the beds they are made in from China to the world if they made such a beast.

PS I don't think I will ever let go of my 12" iBook. That is my travel buddy, even with a MBP 15" CD sitting beside it.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

I will cave on just about any feature you want as long as it runs OS X and is smaller than my 12" iBook and has 8 - 11 hours battery life. To heck with the optical drive at all.

I am with you, that Sony looks great and don't think I haven't thought about puting OSX on one, if I were that type of person that is. Apple better do something because there is a clear need for this and I predict that they will fly off the beds they are made in from China to the world if they made such a beast.

PS I don't think I will ever let go of my 12" iBook. That is my travel buddy, even with a MBP 15" CD sitting beside it.

I would like something very small and light because I have no real need for a laptop, but if it fit a certain form and weight factor, I would buy one.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    The demand for the small form factor 12 or 13.3 inch screen in MacBook Pro isn't going to be a volume leader.

Apple wants to grow their market beyond IT Administration folks.

If they add another manufacturer it is due to good evidence that they will exceed the supply side that Asustek can muster.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggypopped

this rumor is completely bogus. all thats happened here is apple has asked foxconn to help them make more 15in macbook pros, but at some point down the newsie chain 'macbook pro' was shortened to 'macbook', hence the confusion. there's no news here. there's certainly no 15in macbook in the works.

but!.... if i turn out to be wrong, i'll buy one immediately. =)

I think IggyPopped got it right...this is nothing but a rumor about Foxconn building 15.4" MacBook Pros that someone messed up.

Assuming Apple did have a 15.4" MacBook (non-pro) what would it cost?

It would have to cost more than the currently most expensive MacBook, the $1499 black model. There's no way Apple would sell the 15.4" model with lesser specs than the black one.

So that means the price would have to come in between $1499 and $1999 that represents the current low end MacBook Pro. The larger screen would come at a price premium no less than $200, so that makes the minimum price on a 15.4" MacBook $1699. That's with 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, SuperDrive and GMA graphics, just like the black MacBook model.

With only a $300 difference between the MacBook Pro and this 15.4" MacBook, I just don't see what the point is. The Pro gives you FW800, backlit keyboard, twice the RAM, dedicated graphics, and a 120 GB HD. If you try to BTO any of those items into a MacBook 15.4 that starts at $1699, it would end up costing the same or MORE than the low end MacBook Pro.

It just doesn't make any sense at all.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensoniq

I think IggyPopped got it right...this is nothing but a rumor about Foxconn building 15.4" MacBook Pros that someone messed up.

Assuming Apple did have a 15.4" MacBook (non-pro) what would it cost?

It would have to cost more than the currently most expensive MacBook, the $1499 black model. There's no way Apple would sell the 15.4" model with lesser specs than the black one.

So that means the price would have to come in between $1499 and $1999 that represents the current low end MacBook Pro. The larger screen would come at a price premium no less than $200, so that makes the minimum price on a 15.4" MacBook $1699. That's with 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, SuperDrive and GMA graphics, just like the black MacBook model.

With only a $300 difference between the MacBook Pro and this 15.4" MacBook, I just don't see what the point is. The Pro gives you FW800, backlit keyboard, twice the RAM, dedicated graphics, and a 120 GB HD. If you try to BTO any of those items into a MacBook 15.4 that starts at $1699, it would end up costing the same or MORE than the low end MacBook Pro.

I agree. I've been saying this for quite a while.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensoniq

thank you. =)

we ought to be looking towards the future, not at some hairbrained rumor that obviously was just a mishap typo when somebody forgot to add 'pro' behind the macbook and it went too far.

this was making me think about how this kind of mistake wouldnt have happened when the consumer and professional laptop lines had more distinctive names. ibook and powerbook were never confused. maybe confusion is what apple wanted here, to generate even more rumormongering?

speaking of laptop rumors, i dont believe apple will ever go the route of the ultraportable. alot of people say they want it but i think the reality is some stripped down 9-11in laptop with less features at a lower cost just isnt what apple is about. they like to start small and build up rather than start big and strip down.

the future of apple ultraportables is an ipod with newtonlike functionality i'm pretty sure. i think we'll see this within 2 years easily if not much sooner. it'll be all ipod and half a newton, with its main emphasis centered around portable media and communications. this should reside at the top of the ipod chain, and charge a premium price, still have plenty of room for the ipods we know today. those will always exist as long as they sell. plenty of space for $80 shuffles all the way up to $600 ipod half-computers.

but i really dont think apple wants to ruin their well staged laptop differentations. they have very clear price points based on screen size, graphics power and color. a 15in macbook would just muck it all up. and they're not going down in size, and apple will never make 4:3 ever again. its widescreen all the way, baby powerbook RIP.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    I doubt we'll see a 15.4" MacBook. (But I didn't expect a 14"iBook back in 2002 either)

If it turned out I am wrong (again), I doubt it will have the same 1440x900 resolution as the 15" MacBook Pro.

Apple probably pulls the same trick as with the iBook 12" and 14" screen resolution, so a 1280x800 resolution max.