What Email service do you use?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, I have had the same MSN.com email address for almost 10 years, but they make it really difficult (Read: impossible) to use it with Mail. So, I am looking to switch. I could go with Gmail or .Mac, but would love to hear people's feedback on the options that are out there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I LOVE gmail. I wouldn't use anything else. I use Yahoo at work, hate it, and my girl uses Hotmail, also hate it. Gmail has built in spell check, the contact are real easy to use and setup, the Gmail Chat works perfectly and is good for sending ideas back and forth without waiting, it's like AIM but with Gmail accounts. They give you a lot of space for saving emails, and the spam protection is on point (I never get spam mail in my inbox EVER). You can do a google search in your archived mail to find a conversation you had with someone for reference, you can star emails and click "star mail" and all of them show up instantly...IDK I can go on forever about it, I would highly suggest Gmail. If you need an invite let me know I still have a few left.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I've lost mail on Gmail. Multiple times. Really important mail.

.Mac's $100 a year.

Choose your poison
  • Reply 3 of 31
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I use GMail, as I like the cost (Free), which is the same reason for avoiding dotMac, I dislike the cost \. I agree with gregmightdothat, choose your poison 8).
  • Reply 4 of 31
    I use " User Mail " , it's 19.95 a year but good .... http://www.usermail.com/
  • Reply 5 of 31
    .Mac for primary email, Gmail for secondary. I have my Gmail forwarded to .Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

By far the best email service I know is www.fastmail.net It's a fast but feature rich service. They have free accounts but with the one-time member fee of US$20 you can have your own sub-domain and unlimited email addresses. This is great for spam protection! I use unique email addresses for various online boards and if I ever get spam (not had a single one yet) I can just block that address and I know where it came from!!!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    GMail is the best, it is free, very reliable and works with Mail without any glitches at all.

.Mac, on the other hand, is OK but not too great and charges you for a service which Google gives for free.

... and don't even get me started on Hotmail - it is owned by Microsoft, that should give you a clue!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Gmail rocks except that it has no IMAP support. I have found it to be extremely reliable and now that I have gotten used to the way it threads back and forth emails into a chat-like conversation, I find Mail.app useless because I cannot view the flow of emails the same way. I love being able to archive everything and use Google's search engine to find old emails. This is great for finding pictures that you might have sent or for finding links you might have sent. I wish that mail.app had a similar UI.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

Excellent choice!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I've lost mail on Gmail. Multiple times. Really important mail.

.Mac's $100 a year.

Choose your poison

I have never had that happen to me.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    gmail

i've never lost email with it and this is the first time i've ever heard of mail being lost.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Most people who use gmail aren't going to lose mail. But clearly it happens.

It's a matter of if you wanna take that chance. Gmail has screwed me pretty royally, twice, so I personally don't.

(Also, have you personally verified that every single email that you've sent or had sent to you was actually delivered? I only noticed two really important emails that didn't go through. I've probably also lost a number of unimportant ones.)
  • Reply 13 of 31
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    GMail is accessible from POP mail clients at no additional cost (it remains FREE). It should be fully compatible with Mail. I use Entourage and it accesses (Send/Receive) my GMail account without any problems.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I have Gmail, Fastmail, Yahoo and .Mac, but the one I use almost exclusively is NetIdentity.com. A plug for .Mac is that it is much more than just email while the rest stop at the email function.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    I use gmail, hotmail, yahoo and my works imap service.

the yahoo is my junk account as it has no pop support. I send all my trash their and never once look at it save when Im expecting a password or login verification.

The gmail, hotmail and Imap all go through entourage on my mac. Works like a charm.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

(Also, have you personally verified that every single email that you've sent or had sent to you was actually delivered? I only noticed two really important emails that didn't go through. I've probably also lost a number of unimportant ones.)

Well, one could ask the same question to you. Have YOU personally verified that every single email you've been sent was properly addressed, or that the fault did not lie somewhere else between the sender and receiver?

I've never used .mac, but I vouch for Gmail. I've yet to be disapointed by the service. And if you decide you don't like it, you can always foreward the email to your new address for free.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit

Well, one could ask the same question to you. Have YOU personally verified that every single email you've been sent was properly addressed, or that the fault did not lie somewhere else between the sender and receiver?

I've never used .mac, but I vouch for Gmail. I've yet to be disapointed by the service. And if you decide you don't like it, you can always foreward the email to your new address for free.

Are you serious? Of course I checked. For both incoming messages that didn't get through, and messages that I sent.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    .Mac
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Gmail for every personal email. Love it, no problems for me.

keep my hotmail just for ordering stuff.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Gmail just updated their interface today, and it includes a menu button that is not compatible with Safari 2.x

There really is no excuse for that...