Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again?

Comments

• Reply 901 of 1657
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Maybe. I am not at all sure that any of those clamoring for the xMac would actually buy it. Remember, there is no huge selection of video cards, and virtually no consumer ever puts a second HD in their Dell.

Well, we are buying older Mac towers on eBay now. We would like performance of the new iMacs, but already have, in my case, a 22 inch widescreen, 5 ms LCD display that is almost brand new. So we settle for two or three year old performance for now and are satisfied with the money we save. Regarding graphics card, the older PowerMac seem fine, I bought a ATE 9800, 256 MB for my G5, and the PCIe cards will get straightened out by the time I'm ready to buy.

Quote:

Explain that logic to me. An $1800 no-display machine is going to sell compared to a $1300 machine WITH display?

I don't believe those prices. We hear everything from $999 to $1999 for a mini tower, but let's be realistic. It will always cost just a little more for a mini tower than an iMac because of the added mechanical hardware, like expansion slots. In the end, the iMac will be the better buy for those who need a newer display, and the mini tower a better buy for those who do not want a new display.

Quote:

Mod note: some forums would declare this type of thread to be "beating a dead horse" and lock it. I think that is bullshit. If people want to discuss, it can go on forever.

Bless you brother!
  • Reply 902 of 1657
    "I'm getting a Mac." "Which one?" "A Mac." "A MacBook? iMac?" "No, just a regular Mac. Some guy on an internet message board thought it up."

What a stupid idea for so many reasons. I'm really looking forward to a company coming along that actually takes their product lineup suggestions from high schoolers.
  • Reply 903 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

I think it's safe to say Apple has not been interested in a midrange tower and must not feel there is much profit in offering such a machine. Because they don't offer it.

Keep your faith in Apple and you will stay happier. I sense Apple may be stonewalling the issue to keep iMac sales as high as possible, or they are in the process of designing a mini tower now, and waiting for the right time to spring it on us. I sure hope it is the latter. I would gladly trade reading this thread for the chance to buy a new mid range tower.

I see no reason Apple cannot sell a mini tower for $999 with the specifications of the $1199 iMac. They would be about equal value. The tower would go on up from there, as it has more opportunities for options.

Would a mini tower hurt iMac sales? A little, which may be why we don't see a mini tower. Yet Apple could adjust the performance and price of the mini tower a little bit, to keep the impact at a minimum.
  • Reply 904 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwsmiths

I think the point I was trying to make is that Apple's iMac competes in terms of price and features against most PC maker's non-AIO solutions and therefore there may be no impetus for Apple to make one as consumers are buying plenty of iMacs and their researchers may feel that because the iMac compares so favorably to these other computers there is not enough of a market to justify it's introduction.

I respect your point of view. The logic may work for folks who do not have a very good display yet, or want the minimum clutter on their desk. Those of us with excellent monitors are stuck. What do I do with my Viewsonic 22 inch widescreen LCD monitor, which is like new. Sell it on eBay? It works fine with my eBay Power Macintosh however. New hardware will have to wait. When my current stuff is too out of date a few years from now, there will be today's Mac Pro on eBay selling for $1299.

I will not switch to a PC. However, I can be as stubborn as Apple. If Apple doesn't want my business, there are plenty on eBay that are glad to sell to me. I'm not complicated. I know what I want and will buy from those who sell it. Right now that happens to be eBay, not Apple.
  • Reply 905 of 1657
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

If Apple doesn't want my business, there are plenty on eBay that are glad to sell to me.

That's exactly the way it goes for me right now.

Already looking for a dual core 2.3GHz G5!
  • Reply 906 of 1657
    Apple should do this.. Apple can't do that.

the iMac is really this.. the iMac really is that...

Apple tried before with the Cube and failed (it was pulled).

The situation is different now. It's not 2000/1 for Apple now.

They have the cool they have their Tiger they have 60M iPod owners. They have serious notebook market share. And they have the latest Intel chips - along with large dollop of Intel help (Not to mention they have Windows!)

They can afford to try again. Simple.

hmm... 1M Mac notebook owners a quarter how much of a halo effect from these when they want to buy their home box/storage base station Mac.. ~10-20+%..?

Alternatives to leech more Market share.

(1) Blam! Cube Mark II

(2) Alternative Mac Pro (not so pro) $1500

Marketing magic.. Hmm... lets say $150 rebates tickets for those that buy MB/MBP's...
  • Reply 907 of 1657
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Apple should do this.. Apple can't do that.

the iMac is really this.. the iMac really is that...

Apple tried before with the Cube and failed (it was pulled).

The situation is different now. It's not 2000/1 for Apple now.

The Cube failed because it was more expensive than the PowerMac yet less practical. Since then, the pro machines have gone up $700 in price (while prices on everything else are falling like a rock) and Apple thinks everyone not running Mathematica would be perfectly happy with an all-in-one or are sheepish enough to buy what Apple tells them to.
  • Reply 908 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

I respect your point of view. The logic may work for folks who do not have a very good display yet, or want the minimum clutter on their desk. Those of us with excellent monitors are stuck. What do I do with my Viewsonic 22 inch widescreen LCD monitor, which is like new. Sell it on eBay? It works fine with my eBay Power Macintosh however. New hardware will have to wait. When my current stuff is too out of date a few years from now, there will be today's Mac Pro on eBay selling for $1299.

I will not switch to a PC. However, I can be as stubborn as Apple. If Apple doesn't want my business, there are plenty on eBay that are glad to sell to me. I'm not complicated. I know what I want and will buy from those who sell it. Right now that happens to be eBay, not Apple.

You know, I think Apple trained us a little too well against group think.

As for clutter, two 5.25" optical drives, an external hard drive, a hub, a card reader, and two 5.25" optical drives seems pretty cluttered to me. With a conroe Mac Pro, most of that would fit nicely under my desk.
  • Reply 909 of 1657
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Maybe I'm missing something. Repeatedly I hear an xMac will upset Apple's pricing structure??

What's so expensive about adding PCI slots? With the mini, replace the more expensive laptop hard drive, put in a cheaper larger drive and add a couple of PCI slots. A virtual wash in cost. How much more expensive is a Conroe cpu than Yonah? Bump the price - offer both the mini and xMac, see which one makes the most profit.
  • Reply 910 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwsmiths

If it is so plain then why isn't Apple doing it? Do you believe Apple is that ignorant? Seriously?

More like in they're own little version of reality.
  • Reply 911 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag

Maybe I'm missing something. Repeatedly I hear an xMac will upset Apple's pricing structure??

What's so expensive about...

It should read, such a Mac could upset Apples own 'artificial' pricing structure. The potential is Mac Pro looks too highly priced and even not necessary for certain Pro applications, The iMac looks like what's the point i've already got a screen etc.
  • Reply 912 of 1657
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

How much more expensive is a Conroe cpu than Yonah?

It's cheaper.

Dismissed.
  • Reply 913 of 1657
    Quote:

What's so expensive about adding PCI slots? With the mini, replace the more expensive laptop hard drive, put in a cheaper larger drive and add a couple of PCI slots. A virtual wash in cost. How much more expensive is a Conroe cpu than Yonah? Bump the price - offer both the mini and xMac, see which one makes the most profit.

Core 2-Conre/Allendale

X6800 (2.93)- $999

E6700 (2.67)- $530

E6600 (2.4)- $316

E6400 (2.13)- $224

E6300 (1.83)- $183

Core 2-Merom (same price points as Yonah)

T7600 (2.33) - $637

T7400 (2.13) - $423

T7200 (2.0) - $294

T5600 (1.83) - $241

T5500 (1.66) - $209
  • Reply 914 of 1657
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Chucker & BenRoethig

Thanks for the information. Modified my original statement to:

What's so expensive about adding PCI slots? With the mini, replace the more expensive laptop hard drive, put in a cheaper larger drive and add a couple of PCI slots. A virtual wash in cost. How much cheaper is a Conroe cpu than Yonah? Bump the price and make higher margins - offer both the mini and xMac, see which one makes the most profit.
  • Reply 915 of 1657
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Chucker & BenRoethig

Thanks for the information. Modified my original statement to:

What's so expensive about adding PCI slots? With the mini, replace the more expensive laptop hard drive, put in a cheaper larger drive and add a couple of PCI slots. A virtual wash in cost. How much cheaper is a Conroe cpu than Yonah? Bump the price and make higher margins - offer both the mini and xMac, see which one makes the most profit.

rickag, Apple could easily add PCI slots to the Mac mini. It would have to be twice as high, but it would be possible. The thing you're missing is: they don't want to.

They don't want it to be expansible beyond the point it currently is.

If Apple wanted to have a low-cost customizable computer, they'd have one.
  • Reply 916 of 1657
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

If Apple wanted to have a low-cost customizable computer, they'd have one.

Well, duh! I believe the main point of this discussion is whether or not Apple's decision not to have a low-cost mini-tower is a good one. Every so often someone pipes up suggesting that the proposed machines can't be done with Apple's usual margins, but this notion is easily dismissed.
  • Reply 917 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

I believe the main point of this discussion is whether or not Apple's decision not to have a low-cost mini-tower is a good one. Every so often someone pipes up suggesting that the proposed machines can't be done with Apple's usual margins . . .

I'll add, some say there is insufficient market for the proposed machines, or the proposed Macs would simply replace sales of other profitable Macs, making it unnecessary in the product line up.
  • Reply 918 of 1657
    Macs: 6%

PCs 94%

Looks like a of marker space to me. What I see is fear. A reluctance to try anything else.
  • Reply 919 of 1657
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

Macs: 6%

PCs 94%

Looks like a of marker space to me. What I see is fear. A reluctance to try anything else.

I guess you could call it a fear of sorts. It's a Jobsian fear of being normal..can't possibly do that, no!.

Anything but that. Cube Mark II anybody.
  • Reply 920 of 1657
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    $1200+ Cube II is possible. $700 tower not so much. You're converting a $1000-2000 (17"-24") sale to a $700 sale and the possibility of a monitor sale.

Lets see...I can spend:

$699 for a ACD 20" OR $339 for a Dell 2007 WFP (widescreen 20")

$999 for a ACD 23" OR $679 for a Dell 2407 WFP (widescreen 24") OR $1279 for a Dell 3007WFP (widescreen 30").

I don't think that monitor sale is anything close to a sure bet. Even figuring you want to spend another $150 on the eventual iSight 2.0 w/remote.

So the worst case is that you just converted a $2000 x 0.28 or $560 profit into a $700 x 0.25 or $196 profit. Same margins, vastly different revenue stream.

Use $1200 as the average ($336 profit) and you need to sell 1.7 xMacs for every iMac sale cannibalized just to break even (less profit on any monitor sales). If there were a $700 xMac you can pretty much be assured that iMac sales would tank...

AND you STILL have to show that Dell, HP and Gateway are making 16% margins on their $599 base Core 2 Duo boxes to get 28% at $699 ($195 profit of which $100 is pure profit over $599 leaves $95 that needs to be made by the $599 models margin wise...). I suspect that Gateway isn't making $16% on their base DX420 (lowsest end desktop) as their gross margins are in the 7-9% range. Either that or their professional sales like sucked much much worse than believable.

So...850K desktop sales (1.7x500K for simplicity) just to break even and you wonder why this isn't the no-brainer you guys keep saying it is? That's without figuring that some Mac Pro sales get cannibalized too and assuming that Apple can get better margins than Dell, HP and Gateway in that same segment.

Vinea

PS I'm guessin it aint $700 tower customers that will buy ACDs but upper end buyers in the $1200+ price point.