Problem with macbook hard drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all, Im having some problems with my macbook's hard drive, the computer is only one and a bit weeks old, and was working brilliantly, as most apple products do.

However 2 days ago i went out (leaving the macbook on) and when i returned the hardrive had mysteriously been completely filled up. All 60gb! As i couldnt find the files that where taking up the space, i decided to move some documents and music to an external hard drive. And reinstall the OS, wiping the disk as well. But once this was completed, apparently 17gb of space was still being "utilized". There are literally no files of my own on the computer. I ran a hardware test before I reinstalled and nothing came up. I really have no idea whats going on and any help would be greatly appreciated, before I go ahead and ring up apple.

cheers andy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agjenkins

i decided to move some documents and music to an external hard drive. And reinstall the OS, wiping the disk as well. But once this was completed, apparently 17gb of space was still being "utilized".

The default installation of OS X takes up about 17GB. The term you are looking for is bloatware.

A good program for finding used space is here:

http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/

You can free up more than 3GB by getting rid of Garageband. I actually recoded the sound samples into aac.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Ah i see, thank you very much