Display upgrades

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    No, I am looking for a desktop work.

A single 42"+ would be great. But it could also be use as TV on the living room.

What I am saying is that this monitor could be used for both applications if you want to.

But I would probably use only as desktop monitor.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    A desktop display might be a bit pricey to be used as a TV, although for a single person who wants to watch TV or use the computer and not both, it's a good idea.

I doubt Apple will introduce any new display (in the near future) that is beyond the pixel capacity of dual-link DVI. Anyone know what that is? A quick Google search doesn't provide the answer.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Found an obscure reference to maximum resolution for dual-link DVI; 3840x2400. I don't know how accurate it is but Apple has room to grow on the 30" ACD if it's correct.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    nice, I can't even imagine a 42" with that resolution.

dream come true!

Hopefully by the next WWDC we will see these babies.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

Um, but Apple just did reduce prices; $500 on the 30" model and I think $300 on the 23", about two months ago.

??? are you talking about the cinema displays? where are you getting this information?
  • Reply 46 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilsn1020

??? are you talking about the cinema displays? where are you getting this information?

ACD 30" was dropped from $2500 to $2000 a couple months ago. 23" was $1299 (I think) to $1000. I forget what the 20" price was.

Edit:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1948
  • Reply 47 of 56
    yes, it's true and the 30" is $1700 with educational discount. Not a bad deal. I think the ideal price is $1500 for the 30" and $1200 with edu discount. I think soon will hit these prices leaving open the 42"+ close to $3k.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

yes, it's true and the 30" is $1700 with educational discount. Not a bad deal. I think the ideal price is $1500 for the 30" and $1200 with edu discount. I think soon will hit these prices leaving open the 42"+ close to $3k.

I think that's a bit optimistic for the moment, there's only one other screen that's in the same product class. Relative to the 23", the price of the 30" is reasonable, 77% more pixels for double the price. Generally the value you get in going for the high end is not anywhere nearly so good. The 30" is also very competitive to Dell's price, the other models are not nearly so competitive. I think a 42" display at 100ppi is probably going to go for more than $3k, more like $4k-$5k if it's released soon because that would mean a doubling of the number of pixels and requires a lot with respect for manufacturing equipment.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:

I think the ideal price is $1500 for the 30" and $1200 with edu discount. I think soon will hit these prices leaving open the 42"+ close to $3k.

That would be nice.

Chances are, before that happens, new displays will be released with higher resolutions and the prices will stay the same or go back up slightly.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Guys I don't expect it now. I think another price drop could happen around WWDC 2007.

That is the time that I think we could see a larger display. Until then I think the price landscape stays the same.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    For the sacrilegious among us...

The Dell 30 inchers is down to $1199 when on sale various places on web. That paves the way for a new generation of "insanely expensive" displays.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    yeah that's a great price. That's why I think Apple eventually in the next few months will drop prices again leaving room to a higher end display.

I just wished the Dell displays were better designed and used better parts. But, I guess then it would cost way more. You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Not to start a platform war but...

Dell displays are quite nice. In fact, I would consider Dell displays to be some of the best on the market. Granted, they're not targeted at the same consumer as Apple displays. Apple displays tend to have more accurate but less vibrant color. Apple displays have higher quality casing but less adjustable stands.

But back to display upgrades:

I'm thinking we'll see pixel densities increased on all apple displays once Leopard liberates us from the shackles of fixed resolution dependence.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    That's why I think it looks more and more feasible to happen at WWDC when Apple might upgrade the professional line of computers and iTV and Leopard will be already here. I wonder if the new display will be a computer monitor with very high resolution or a HDTV set with 1920x1080 resolution for the living room to be use alongside with the iTV or maybe both.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    The Dell 30" is currently US$1279. That's very tempting. I've been kinda waiting for Apple to revise or upgrade theirs but now I'm thinking Dell might be the way to go. With the exception of the big ugly Dell logo, I think their displays look nice.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

The Dell 30" is currently US$1279. That's very tempting. I've been kinda waiting for Apple to revise or upgrade theirs but now I'm thinking Dell might be the way to go. With the exception of the big ugly Dell logo, I think their displays look nice.

I guess that means they dropped the price within the last week. And if the logo really bothers you, find some nice sticker at a craft or scrapbooking store to cover it up. I'd buy it for my workbench computer given the harsher shop environment, but I'd have to find an AGP card that works with it.