Apple reseller, Apple retail to open shops in Glasgow

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric

I agree with your sentiment, however and I know this might be semantics, but, Tim Berners-Lee can be credited with inventing the World Wide Web, not the Internet. DARPA was inventing the Internet starting in the late 50's. Berners-Lee was born in 1955.

Oops sorry I know you are correct, i was actually quoting the BBC in an article about his knighthood too! Owl a small company in Edinburgh also had hypertext off to an early start in the early 80's and Aldus even used it to create their first disk based tutorial and manual. I wonder if Tim was connected with the Owl team.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips

This idiotic comment is amazing. I guess this guy hasn't worked out the internet is available in the rest of the World. Lucky for him the Brit that invented the internet (Tim Berners-Lee) didn't keep it in the UK

I thought Al Gore invented the internet.........
  • Reply 23 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Har! My first thoughts seeing that slimy building. Hell, rebuild the entire site.

You say that living in Brooklyn????

The hundreds of abandoned, burned out, boarded up buildings we have.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

I wrote that first and changed it to Tim as an after thought (only for that to back fire! )
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillwood

Its good to see more real Apple Stores in UK but we need one in Wales

Cardiff, Wales, Uk should be the next Apple Store, the are makeing a new shopping center, it could go in there!

[ image removed ]

This was obviously a photoshop job. The last day without rain in Cardiff was in August 1972.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

This is nice and all but whats the relevance for us in the states (i drifted through the article) and dont tell me the only relevance is more money for Apple here in the states.

The relevance is the canny opportunity to reinforce stereotypes
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

Indeed. And he did it on an American computer (a NeXT Cube) in Switzerland (working at CERN). I think that's a pretty global credit for discovery.

Wow, I knew about CERN but I didn't know about the NeXT, so Steve Jobs was indirectly involved with even the birth of the www ... well kind of
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

According to Microsoft's very own reference resource, BOOKSHELF '96 ...

"In 1991, Vice President Al Gore, then a U.S. senator, proposed widening the architecture of NSFNET to include more K-12 schools, community colleges, and 2-year colleges. The resulting legislation expanded NSFNET and renamed it NREN (National Research and Educational Network). This bill also allowed businesses to purchase part of the network for commercial uses. The mass commercialization of today's Internet is the direct result of this legislation."
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirron

That building in Glasgow could do with a good sand-blasting. Freshen it up a bit for Apple.

The problem with cleaning buildings like this is that it can do more harm than good. The grime protects the soft sandstone from erosion and it can be counter productive to remove it. This is a common problem with old buildngs in Scotland.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jobberwacky

[ image removed ]

This was obviously a photoshop job. The last day without rain in Cardiff was in August 1972.

very true!! the other way you can tell its a photoshop job is that it won't be built until 2009
  • Reply 31 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips

This idiotic comment is amazing. I guess this guy hasn't worked out the internet is available in the rest of the World. Lucky for him the Brit that invented the internet (Tim Berners-Lee) didn't keep it in the UK

I thought he developed the WWW in Switzerland at CERN.

Whoops, I didn't notice fuyutsuki's comment.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    I agree with other posts, Apple is expanding far too slowly in Uk and Europe. The Apple Stores have obviously been a huge hit, but the momentum is too slow here in UK (and Europe I guess). Bristol is one of the fastest expanding cities in Europe at the moment, and covers a wide catchment area, badly need an Apple Store here, please Apple....The nearest Apple Store is quite a long drive away (Birmingham, where staff at the Genius Bar were terrific) and one in Bristol would be a lot nearer for me.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I can't believe that they managed to get not one, but two shots of Glasgow where it wasn't pissing down with rain.

What are the chances of that? That has to be some kind of record.

Anyway, joking aside, I'm glad to hear that it's Scotsys who have bagged this first – I've always found them to be knowledgeable and helpfull. It'll be interesting to see if they'll display some of the higher end Apple kit now – I've yet to see anybody in Scotland displaying a 30" Cinema HD Display.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

As a native of Edinburgh however, I'm really pissed off that Glasgow is getting TWO fairly sized Apple Stores (one official, one Scotsys) while we have to make do with zero! There's a little Scotsys in town, only about the size of a newsagents and I only buy cases for things from there myself, keeping the real stuff for Apple online.

Yeah, but the Scotsys Edinburgh store has an unusually high concentration of lovely-lady-students walking by. You have to see it to believe it. I don't know how any of the staff there get any work done.

• Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Yeah, but the Scotsys Edinburgh store has an unusually high concentration of lovely-lady-students walking by. You have to see it to believe it. I don't know how any of the staff there get any work done.

Yeah, I did notice that. The location's good - beside Edinburgh University's original campus - but the scale is all wrong. I want my Mac boutique to be a bit bigger than a hairdresser's!

At the current UK rate, Edinburgh is due a visit from the mothership fairly soon anyway. My heart just goes out to all the Mac heads on the continent who literally have to FLY to get to a real store.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillwood

Its good to see more real Apple Stores in UK but we need one in Wales

Cardiff, Wales, Uk should be the next Apple Store, the are makeing a new shopping center, it could go in there!

u could see Apple in there!

It's happened in Cardiff. AT Computers formally the Apple Centre on Caerphilly Road have relocated into the City Centre. They have opened a new Apple Premium Reseller store in the Morgan Arcade CF10 1AF just down the road from the castle. Their new number is 02920 232620.

The store is has been designed by Apple and looks like a mini Regent Street store. They have loads of stuff on demo, it should be busy for them. Good luck to 'em.