Upgrade Mac Pro to X1900 for under $300!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just buy the PC version (Radeon X1900 512MB) and FLASH it!

http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?a...&section=other

I bought my x1900 off newegg.com for $270.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Aaaand... only be able to use it in Mac OS X OR Windows. Big turnoff for me, personally, but if you're a professional looking to use it in Motion or whatever, sounds great.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Aaaand... only be able to use it in Mac OS X OR Windows. Big turnoff for me, personally, but if you're a professional looking to use it in Motion or whatever, sounds great.

Uh Actually, I use mine in both.

You can do that now!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Does it reflash when it boots or something?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Does it reflash when it boots or something?

I don't know about all that. I think you flash the card to EFI and then Apple emulates BIOS when in Windows.

Full acceleration and everything, I don't know why people were having issues with Windows before. This new ROM works fine though!

The only reason I bought this card was because so many others had said they got it working in XP.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    umm, If you buy the card with the computer from Apple, it's only $249...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

umm, If you buy the card with the computer from Apple, it's only $249...

$249 for the BTO option, which means you don't get the 7300.

It's $400 for the card by itself, meaning the Mac 7300 is worth $150.

You can sell the 7300 on e-bay, as it works in Macs and PCs (it has a dual-ROM).

So if you can buy it 3rd party for $300, flash it for free, and sell your 7300 for more than $50, it's cheaper than upgrading. I actually WANTED the 7300 in my machine in addition to the x1900, so to me buying the card after-market was the only option.

Also, you have to factor in sales tax: In most places, Apple charges sales tax, you can find a 3rd party retailer who doesn't.

Edit: I just looked up prices and the 7300 is going for $100 on e-bay. You may be able to sell the mac one for $125.