A closer look at Apple's Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Despite undestanding the 3GB limit its still kind of odd. youd think that they wouldve addressed this. I mean these numbers are just too crazy!
  • Reply 22 of 86
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Jeez, there's hardly anything to these machines nowadays.

I'm constantly amazed at how much power they can pack in to such a small space.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

on each side

It's probably a constrained layer damping material.

That usually consists of three layers, a thin layer of aluminum or SS on each side, bonded to an equally thin layer of elastomer in the middle.

This turns the vibration into a shear force. As the layers can only move so much, it is turned into a (very little) bit of heat instead, dampening the system.

The material isn't expensive (in aluminum, SS is several times as much), and I use it all the time. You can get it with a layer of very tough adhesive on one side from McMaster-Carr, and others.

EDIT: added a manufacturer

www.soundcoat.com

Ah yes, I know that construct well. --My father used to try something quite similar.

He would stand amidst my brothers, sister and me, cut a fart -and then try to blame it on one of us kids.

-bastard!
  • Reply 24 of 86
    [QUOTE] Similarly, internal revisions prevent the keyboard from the new 15-inch model from being used for repairs to the previous model because the caps lock key will fail to function properly. [\\QUOTE]

What's changed with the new keyboard caps lock on the core 2 duo?

Please tell me they didn't bring back the ADB keyboard!
  • Reply 25 of 86
    I wonder why there's a 3 gig limit \
  • Reply 26 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean

Yeah, but you'd think there's enough space INSIDE!

Not really. If it isn't designed for it, then there isn't enough space. These things are packed solid. That's why they are so hard to cool.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Werid they removed that little dot led from next to the isight.

They didn't. It's behind the surface. It glows green when it's on.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Ah yes, I know that construct well. --My father used to try something quite similar.

He would stand amidst my brothers, sister and me, cut a fart -and then try to blame it on one of us kids.

-bastard!

Hmm. wouldn't work. This has to be adhered to the vibrating surface. If he coated himself like the Tin Man. Maybe.

You'd still have to deal with the aftereffects.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

They didn't. It's behind the surface. It glows green when it's on.

Oh, that's a lot better they should have done it like that in the first place.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I am not really complaining about the hard disk noise in my CD MBP, so I really don't see the problem. It's probably just a metal disk with some fairly ordinary adhesive.

this little disk that is on the hard drive...does this mean i can buy a bigger disk from somewhere like newegg or tiger direct and install it myself? why would this little disk prevent me from removing the hard drive?
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluvthsgam

this little disk that is on the hard drive...does this mean i can buy a bigger disk from somewhere like newegg or tiger direct and install it myself? why would this little disk prevent me from removing the hard drive?

I don't know of any reason.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

I wonder why there's a 3 gig limit \

Theres a 3Gig limit as the Intel chip used in the MBP can only address 3.2 GB, so apple just advertise it as 3GB. If you put in 4GB the you get 3.2.

PC's are the same, they advertise 4GB, but if you read the small print they usually mention that "some ram may not be accessible" or something like that.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluvthsgam

It sounds like a way for Apple to make more money to me. I think it's ridiculous if changing your hard drive voids your warranty. I'd rather have a noisy hard drive than that. It would actually encourage me to buy the Core Duo or Macbook over the new MBP. Were the drives that noisy in the first place?
  • Reply 34 of 86
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I agree with others regarding the 3GB memory limit, maybe it is a firmware upgrade? It would be great if it were only a firmware issue that could be resolved.

Also, it would have been nice to have a user installatble hard drive like the MacBook has. Maybe next rev. will see that.

It would be nice if Apple would maybe change the connector for Firewire and call it Firewire 2 so that it will support either 400 or 800 and use only one cable connector much like USB 1.0 and 2.0.

Other than that, the laptop looks GREAT! It is hard to improve on a good design, but I am sure Apple will always figure out a way to make it better as they come out with updated models.

It is only a matter of time when the 4 core models will be shipping....... We'll probably have to wait another year or two.

Ah, the life and times of an Apple user. We are always going to be dreaming of the next model. When will it stop?

HOPEFULLY NEVER. Go Apple!!
  • Reply 35 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank

It would be nice if Apple would maybe change the connector for Firewire and call it Firewire 2 so that it will support either 400 or 800 and use only one cable connector much like USB 1.0 and 2.0.

I really don't think that is ever going to happen. Firewire 400 has established connectors, I don't think it makes sense to change it. The reason Firewire 800 has a different connection is because it's a lot like two firewire channels doubled-up, they doubled the number of signal pins to double the speed rather than double the speed of the existing pins.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    They could use the Firewire 800 connector couldn't they? It still supports Firewire 400 does it not?
  • Reply 37 of 86
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank

They could use the Firewire 800 connector couldn't they? It still supports Firewire 400 does it not?

Yes, but you'd need people to user adapters all the time.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    They could just use a Firewire 400 to Firewire cable couldn't they? It would sure free up some connector space on the laptop. I think that is a small price to pay for convienence.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Oops. FIrewire 400 to Firewire 800, I mean.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I really don't think that is ever going to happen. Firewire 400 has established connectors, I don't think it makes sense to change it. The reason Firewire 800 has a different connection is because it's a lot like two firewire channels doubled-up, they doubled the number of signal pins to double the speed rather than double the speed of the existing pins.

Also, while USB 1 cables will fit USB 2 jacks, they don't work properly.