PPC: a lame duck

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

On my computer, Automator is 14MB total. I'm not sure where you get quarter gig from.

/System/Library/Automator/ (233MB)

You can get the space down significantly if you remove the extra languages. Every action has 15 languages in it. I never understood why they use a separate nib for each language. Why not just give every NSTextField mulitple language options? Surely you only need to duplicate the text.

Quote:

I do agree that it's close to useless. I couldn't find any reasonable means of looping or conditional operation, and what it can do is somewhat inefficient at best, a snail at worst. It's just a way to make linear processes.

Yup that's what I found too. I realise it's for making workflows and not a programming language but if Apple had the frameworks for a proper scripting language to control the system then it wouldn't be necessary. It's slow. Even on my dual-core Intel, it takes a good five or so bounces to launch.

Quote:

I really don't think it is possible to have a single programming language to do everything for everyone. The adage "jack of all trades, master of none" fits. Many of Apple's APIs are really only meant to help Mac developers quickly turn out a good program for the Mac platform. Heck, I don't think one can even approach an all-encompassing programing language without either being proprietary or crap, usually it is proprietary and crap.

Maybe not but there are a lot of languages that do the same jobs equally and we should merge them to get rid of redundancy. If Ruby is a better Python then scrap Python. If Ruby is as fast as Perl with more readable syntax then scrap Perl. I know it will annoy some people but it's for the best. I know it's not possible because of all the code that exists already but this is exactly why Apple shouldn't keep making new stuff of their own. Eventually the system is going to have to have so much legacy support we're going to run out of drive space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Is Python the one that uses indentation to determine scope? If so, no thanks.

You know you love it. Indentation just makes your code cleaner and easier for other programmers to read. I used to hate it but now I love it because it cuts down the amount of code you have to write. I can also miss out all those semicolons at the end of lines. I don't know why they're still there.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

You know you love it. Indentation just makes your code cleaner and easier for other programmers to read. I used to hate it but now I love it because it cuts down the amount of code you have to write.

Well yeah, but try copying and pasting a Python script from a web page into TextWrangler where the indentation isn't preserved - then try and fix it.

Seems to me that letting the IDE do the auto-indent based on braces or end-ifs or whatever produces the readable code that we want without the risk of trashing the whole file when white space doesn't copy properly.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    So does Adobe's Soundbooth incorporate Audition into the application? If so, this could actually be a reason for me to upgrade from my G4 to a new Intel-based Mac. I've been waiting years for a MacOS-X version of Audition.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Windows XP even comes on a CD, not a DVD.

Windows XP is over five years old. Mac OS 10.1 also came on a CD. Vista and Leopard both come on a DVD.

You might as well point back at System 6, which came on a single disk, and say "there! everything newer is just bloated!"
  • Reply 45 of 47
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    While I agree the price on G5's are way overpriced, don't under estimate their usefulness.

If Adobe CS3 supports PPC, we're looking at a good 2 years, maybe 3 of serious revenue generating return using G5's. Many may also choose not to upgrade to CS4 (assuming CS4 will be Intel only) immediately which could stretch out a G5 purchase even longer. That said, I certainly would only pick up a G5 if there was a great deal on it and you know you'll make your money back in spades.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I never understood why they use a separate nib for each language. Why not just give every NSTextField mulitple language options? Surely you only need to duplicate the text.

Because you'd break the layout.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Maybe not but there are a lot of languages that do the same jobs equally and we should merge them to get rid of redundancy. If Ruby is a better Python then scrap Python. If Ruby is as fast as Perl with more readable syntax then scrap Perl. I know it will annoy some people but it's for the best. I know it's not possible because of all the code that exists already but this is exactly why Apple shouldn't keep making new stuff of their own.

I think it's totally naive to suggest dropping programming languages. It's not so simple to say that one is better than another either. It generally doesn't work that way.

Applescript is the only programming language that I'm aware of that's original to Apple.

Quote:

Eventually the system is going to have to have so much legacy support we're going to run out of drive space.

I think that's pushing the hyperbole way too far. I think most of them are left off unless you install the development environment anyway.