Apple rolls out iTunes Latino on the iTunes Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Wednesday announced that it is launching iTunes Latino, a dedicated area within the US iTunes Store featuring top Latin music, music videos, television shows, audiobooks and podcasts.

iTunes Latino offers hundreds of thousands of Latin and international music tracks, including exclusive tracks and albums available only on iTunes, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company said in a statement syndicated in both english and spanish.

The unique iTunes Latino area on the iTunes Store is dedicated to Latin and Latin influenced music in many genres including Regional Mexicano, Rock Alternativo, Baladas y Boleros, Pop Latino, Reggaeton and Hip-Hop. It includes Latino includes exclusives, albums, EP's and tracks from leading Latino artists such as David Bisbal, Daddy Yankee, Aterciopelados, Marco Antonio Solis, Paulina Rubio, Mana, Cafe Tacuba and Luny Tunes y Tainy, with exclusive music videos from Juanes, Mach & Daddy and Luis Fonsi.

"We're thrilled to offer customers their favorite Latin music and video programming with iTunes Latino," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "Latin music has been a huge hit on iTunes and now we're bringing music fans even more of what they love in a dedicated area on the iTunes Store."

iTunes Latino also features over 50 Latin-focused iTunes Essentials compilations and Celebrity Playlists by artists such as Sergio Mendes, Julieta Venegas and Alejandra Guzman. Hit TV shows from Telemundo such as "Pasion de Gavilanes" and "'El Cuerpo del Deseo" are also available beginning Wednesday, in addition to a number of Spanish audiobooks and podcasts.

Apple's iTunes Store is the world's leading digital music store, with a catalog of over 3.5 million songs, 65,000 podcasts, 20,000 audiobooks, over 5,000 music videos and 250 television shows. With Apple's legendary ease of use, pioneering features such as integrated podcasting support, iMix playlist sharing and seamless integration with iPod the iTunes Store is the best way for Mac and PC users to legally discover, purchase and download music and video online.

Pricing & Availability

iTunes 7 for Mac and Windows includes the iTunes Store and is available as a free download from iTunes.com. Songs downloaded from iTunes Latino are priced at just $0.99 (US) each and TV shows are priced at $1.99 (US) each. Television shows and feature films are available in the US only, and video availability varies by country. Games are available for download in the 21 countries in which iTunes operates and play on the fifth generation iPod. New release feature films are $14.99 (US) each and other feature-length films are $9.99 (US) each, television shows are $1.99 (US) per episode, music videos and short films are $1.99 (US) each and games are $4.99 (US) each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    This is going to be interesting... Either this will be a huge success, or a grand flop...

I can't wait to see the numbers
  • Reply 2 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Good call Apple. When will we see iTunes White and iTunes Black?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    iTunes Latino a.k.a. iTunes Mariachi... I guess Apple recognized the large latin population in the States as a serious market.

<rant>I'm really not into Latin culture. It's all over the city here (Zurich, Switzerland), but I guess it's really about making all those stiff (central or northern) Europeans feel hot (gals) and, you know, oh-so-Mariachi (guys). Not that they'd have any spice of their own. I'm sure as hell glad my GF agrees with me over this. I'd be in a real dilemna if she wanted to drag me to latin dance classes and Mariachi parties...</rant>
  • Reply 4 of 18
    bah.

how about iTunes Store for Latin America?

some of us folks in mexico, colombia, chile, argentina and other LATAM countries have been waiting too long already.

ipods are really big down here too. they're all over www.mercadolibre.com (free market dot com... the latin american ebay)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I agree with everyone above... But I'm talking from North America, Specifically, Florida. All the hispanic people I know here (I live in a mainly hispanic community) either listen solely to radio, or they pirate the music. They either don't have the money to be buying music, or don't care to purchase it, because they can download it somehow for free, it doesn't matter how cheap it is.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

I agree with everyone above... But I'm talking from North America, Specifically, Florida. All the hispanic people I know here (I live in a mainly hispanic community) either listen solely to radio, or they pirate the music. They either don't have the money to be buying music, or don't care to purchase it, because they can download it somehow for free, it doesn't matter how cheap it is.

and i think it all comes down to "how easy can you get it"

i was reading a forum the other day where some people found a loophole that let users from Latin America buy itunes songs and videos using a US paypal account and an international credit card.

long story short, it worked at times, at times it didn't. i guess apple took notice and the trick no longer seems to work or something. i didn't try it myself.

the sad thing is, for many people, the fastest, easiest way to get stuff is to download it illegally. and this are people who are willing to pay!! but apple just makes it hard to buy for LatAm customers. i understand the reasons for their actions, they don't have the agreements with the latin american record companies, but the end result is the same: angry users who are not able to spend their money have to get their digital downloads for free.

if apple opened a latin american music store and sold itunes cards on 7-elevens, it would take off.

same happened here in mexico with cell phones. they took off when pre-paid cell phone cards started popping up everywhere. and rates aren't cheap, but when buying is convenient and easy, people just buy into it.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    About time, Apple. I'd really love to see more ethnic music available.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    8) especialmente si ponen de todo desde cumbias mariachi grupos norteños etc etc etc espero que unicamnte no se enoje lou dobbs y diga que ahora los latinos tambien le quitaran el empleo alos musicos anglosajones ...

and for those who are to about to latin dance rock etc etc i guess is a welcome issue that now there is going to be a specific store in itunes i hope that every type of latin music make it on the store even old tunes from great artist and also up an umcoming groups, trio,duos, solo acts ete etc i just hope that lou dobbs does not complain about this :
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by movingstereo

8) especialmente si ponen de todo desde cumbias mariachi grupos norteños etc etc etc espero que unicamnte no se enoje lou dobbs y diga que ahora los latinos tambien le quitaran el empleo alos musicos anglosajones ...

and for those who are to about to latin dance rock etc etc i guess is a welcome issue that now there is going to be a specific store in itunes i hope that every type of latin music make it on the store even old tunes from great artist and also up an umcoming groups, trio,duos, solo acts ete etc i just hope that lou dobbs does not complain about this :

Lou Dobbs is an idiot.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I looks like it's not really a different store at all, just a section inside of the US store that contains latin genre stuff.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

That's a stupid generalization.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeAlamaiz

Agreed. He must not know many people.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

He must not know that the hispanic market is one of the biggest in USA, and a hard working wealthy community in general. You cant really know the behaviour of an ENTIRE CONTINENT based on observations in one community. I guess everyone's a little bit racist...

Enter iTunes LatAm!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Okay I put that the wrong way. The hispanic people I know are the stereotypical kind... I know all hispanic people aren't like that, hell I'm Puerto Rican, but I'm just going by my observations, and they are the living generalization. (Colonial High School area of Orlando, FL If anyone knows that area...)
  • Reply 15 of 18
    well, I don't know it is good or not. but as far as I know, latin community is not wealthy generally speaking. in terms of financial power, hispanic is the bottom of class in US. sorry if it is offense. but it's true. hard working is not meant to be good jobs. just try to look at people. how many percentage of population works as professionals in this country. again! I am not racist. just say fact.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archurban

well, I don't know it is good or not. but as far as I know, latin community is not wealthy generally speaking. in terms of financial power, hispanic is the bottom of class in US. sorry if it is offense. but it's true. hard working is not meant to be good jobs. just try to look at people. how many percentage of population works as professionals in this country. again! I am not racist. just say fact.

Apple isn't trying to sell them yachts, or caviar, or silk bathrobes.

They're selling music, which everyone likes, at a dollar a pop. Latino's may not (generally) be rich, but that has no bearing on whether or not they buy music.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeAlamaiz

RE: your location. Isn't the world's highest selling Carl's Jr the one on the corner of Garza Sada and Alfonso Reyes?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

RE: your location. Isn't the world's highest selling Carl's Jr the one on the corner of Garza Sada and Alfonso Reyes?

yes

thats the one im talking about... Thats not actually san pedro but its in the same metropolitan area