High-quality photos of Apple's second-gen iPod shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer's most loyal customers received a small reward on Wednesday when their second-generation iPod shuffle digital music players arrived via FedEx -- a full two days before the players are slated to go on sale at Apple and electronics retail stores.

At nearly half the size of the original, the new iPod shuffle is just half a cubic inch in volume, weighs just half an ounce and*features a minimal aluminum design with a built-in clip.

Apple claims the new player is also the "most wearable iPod yet," featuring a 12-hour battery life and enough storage (1GB) to hold up to 240 songs.

The $79 device ships in the same type of plastic packaging used for the company's recently re-mastered second-generation iPod nano. Shipping with each second-gen shuffle is a pair of iPod earbud earphones (first-gen), a USB dock and Quick Start guide.

Availability of the second-generation shuffle is slated for this friday, Nov. 3, when Apple retail stores and electronics chains such as Best Buy and Circuit City will begin selling the device for the first time. In the meantime, the Apple Store continues to accept orders for the players. Shoppers are reporting that new orders for engraved models are estimated to ship within 2 - 4 business days.

A very special thanks to Jeremy Smith of Pleasanton, Calif. for providing AppleInsider with high-quality unboxing photos of one of the first units to arrive in the US:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    no usb port built in. :-( otherwise id get one... but looks neat.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Yeah. I got mine this morning.

It's a beautiful piece of engineering.

But I can bet these docks are going to get munched if people travel with them. The stereo jack is going to snap off. There's no case to protect the protruding jack.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I cannot wait until mine arrives Today or tomorrow!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Is there a "travel" USB/3.5mm jack so you can ditch the dock? I'm sure one will appear soon, if not already.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    the wheel looks slightly different than the pr pics on the web site...slightly more raised although it could just be the lighting of the pr pics. and why the old earphones?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smack416

Yeah. I got mine this morning.

It's a beautiful piece of engineering.

But I can bet these docks are going to get munched if people travel with them. The stereo jack is going to snap off. There's no case to protect the protruding jack.

What about the hard plastic case it came in. I'm sure luggage won't get too crowded for it.

I don't know how bulky it is...

I'm waiting for the 3G shuffle... supposed to be the size of a guitar pick case.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92

...and why the old earphones?

Yeah, is the article accurate? Steve Jobs was saying how they studied a lot of ears and improved on the earbuds. Can someone confirm/deny that it is different to the ones that come with a new iPod nano?

Ughh... So hard resisting the temptation to get a Shuffle or Nano this month!!! Arghghg.... I'll just bring out my iPod mini 1st gen and stroke it's sweet sweet hard casing - the one that inspired the new shuffle and new nanos. The ORIGINAL and THE BEST.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Okay, re: earbuds, read previous AppleInsider article. Looks like they're coming with old ones at this stage... Hmm.... And the clip-gripping is not as strong during excercise. Possibly... Hmm....
  • Reply 9 of 23
    what defines "apple's most loyal customers" to get this early?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Good iPod pr9n, nonetheless. :thumbs up:
  • Reply 11 of 23
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I was gonna get one of these because my old shuffle is actually starting to rust and it was causing problems.

Just magically started working today though (and I was just about to run out and buy a new one).. Long live the shuffle!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Oh man, I was disappointed to see the old earbuds ship with my shuffle. I thought Steve said these would ship with the new ones? I didn't see that one coming.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Boo on those old ear buds. iPod ear buds were always shit to me and never stayed in my ear no matter what I did. I was hoping to get this and be able to use the ear buds but they're the same ones!

I'm slightly less interested now.

Wait...where is the hold button? And it looks like the play symbol is backlit?

Ah hell, as soon as I see one in person I'll probably what one too bad to care about shelling out for other ear buds.

I actually like the dock, but apple really should have offered a 3.5mini jack to usb as an additional accessory before someone else does.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike12309

no usb port built in. :-( otherwise id get one... but looks neat.

Me too. I was dying to get one until I realized no USB. But I guess they thought extra small was more appealing than USB.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I live in The Netherlands, and UPS shipped my engraved iPod yesterday as well. Also with old earbuds, but I did see it coming as the Apple site shows the old ones everywhere and Steve Jobs didn't explicitly mention the new earbuds for the shuffle in his keynote (he did with the new video iPod and nano). The clip works nice although it doesn't really have a lot of strength (it seemed a bit more when I unpacked mine).

There is no hold button, locking the keys works by holding the Play button for a few seconds like with the previous Shuffle. The play button symbol is engraved, which is why it might look like it's backlit. On side where the clip opens there is a led on both the bottom and top side (exactly the same on both sides).
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Well, in any case, I want one. I want one very much. But if it ships with first gen earbuds, it can certainly wait. I'll get one eventually, just after they run out of surplus first gen earbuds. I'd also like to read a few user reviews for it first.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Ooh, a Nebraska quarter. I don't have one of those yet.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Thank You Jeremy Smith of Pleasanton CA For Taking So Many Perfect Shots of This Amazing Product. They are the best as is this product.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13

Well, in any case, I want one. I want one very much. But if it ships with first gen earbuds, it can certainly wait. I'll get one eventually, just after they run out of surplus first gen earbuds. I'd also like to read a few user reviews for it first.

You may be waiting forever then. I don't think the earbuds that come with the new iPod Shuffle are surplus at all. I think they are less expensive and therefore what will always come with the iPod Shuffle. It's not news the new ear buds were NOT going to ship with the new iPod Shuffle. Right after Steve introduced it that question was asked and they said NOT the new ear buds.

I think they are NEVER going to ship the new ear buds with any Shuffle EVER. If they did it would reduce their profit margin, which has already got to be razer thin, to nothing and they would in effect be gifting all buyers the better ear buds with a Shuffle. I don't think that's their goal.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I actually like the dock, but apple really should have offered a 3.5mm mini jack to usb as an additional accessory before someone else does.

That's a brilliant idea. Wonder how long before one comes to market for $1.99.