Unbox + Xbox360 = iTunes + ????

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With Amazon linking up with xBox, anyone here think there is a chance Apple could team up with Nintendo and allow the Wii to act in a similiar way as the Xbox?

I know the current Wii does not support HD like the new Xbox 360, but Wii + iTv would be a pretty sweet package.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Bad idea. Apple would never ally themselves with inferior, last generation technology like the Wii. The PS3 is a much better match. After all, it uses the Cell, a version of the PowerPC. Theoretically, they could get OS X to run on it, although it would really take some work.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

Bad idea. Apple would never ally themselves with inferior, last generation technology like the Wii. The PS3 is a much better match. After all, it uses the Cell, a version of the PowerPC. Theoretically, they could get OS X to run on it, although it would really take some work.

I agree the PS3 would be a better match because it will likely be more popular and Sony will be looking for as many ways they can to justify the price point.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I agree the PS3 would be a better match because it will likely be more popular and Sony will be looking for as many ways they can to justify the price point.

I don't think it'll be more popular, but they'll definitely need something to justify the price point.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

The Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation III all use PowerPC-like CPUs, so that argument doesn't work.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Actually, the XBox runs on a PPC chip as well. All those gaming machines use RISC-based architecture, it works better for gaming.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

Actually, the XBox runs on a PPC chip as well. All those gaming machines use RISC-based architecture, it works better for gaming.

No, the original Xbox runs on an Intel Celeron.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No, the original Xbox runs on an Intel Celeron.

Right, I meant the 360 Chuck.

I doubt it will happen, especially with the advent of the iTV which will be available shortly after these machines are released.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Are you people serious?

Unbox + xbox = iTunes + iTV

iTV will be the device that brings Apple to the TV, while xbox is the device that brings unbox to the tv...simple as that, unless I'm missing something completely obvious
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

Are you people serious?

Unbox + xbox = iTunes + iTV

iTV will be the device that brings Apple to the TV, while xbox is the device that brings unbox to the tv...simple as that, unless I'm missing something completely obvious

I dont know. The xBox 360 offers a more complete package with gaming + movies + dvd playback in one box for no extra cost on top of the gaming device.

I disagree with Apple allying themselves with Sony. Sony makes Windows machines and is natural competitor with iTunes. Nintendo, as far as I know, is the only natural rival to both Microsoft and Sony... just like Apple. And Nintendo and Apple do not compete in any market as far as I know. They would be totally complementary with zero overlap.

C'mon. Imagine the next generation iPod Video that also serves as the next GameBoy. Dont think that Sony isnt making a PSP that will do the same. Even is the Wii player allowed iTunes movies in DVD quality it would offer a pretty serviceable all-in-one gadget. Oh yeah, the Wii is 802.11 compatible.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000

C'mon. Imagine the next generation iPod Video that also serves as the next GameBoy. Dont think that Sony isnt making a PSP that will do the same.

That is a scary thought...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    With the Wii, Nintendo seems to have followed a bit of Apple's lead..white, small, stylish, sleek..you get it.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo

With the Wii, Nintendo seems to have followed a bit of Apple's lead..white, small, stylish, sleek..you get it.

yeah they did, but of course they deny it.

i dont see apple allowing anyone to do anything with their ipod/itv/itunes... well besides google.

i dont think the ps3 will be the most popular system this generation, of course my vote goes to the 360.

the wii could shock everyone and come out on top, either that or it will be the biggest overhyped let down in gaming history.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

The Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation III all use PowerPC-like CPUs, so that argument doesn't work.

Apple will never work with the 360, so that shouldn't even be mentioned. The Wii uses a sub-gigahertz processor. Who wants a <1GHz CPU anymore? For the low-res graphics of Wii games, it's fine, but the 3.2GHz Cell in the PS3 and the HDMI output just leaves so much more potential to tap.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Apple will never work with the 360, so that shouldn't even be mentioned.

Apple will never work with any other game console either, so by that logic, you might as well close the thread.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

agreed, but isnt the ps3 getting a version of linux?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Yes, it is. A version of Yellow Dog, to be exact, which previously ran only on PowerPC Macs.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Apple won't work with Sony. First off the PS3 is going to be a flunk. No casual gamer is going to buy it, and any hardcore gamer will look at XBL on the Xbox and then the new "great" online service that sony will have out with their PS3...but for some reason havn't released details even though it is due later this month? Give me a break Sony.

If anyone, it will be Nintendo. I wasn't planning on buying another system, but when I saw the price tag and how much people love the Wii, I might just have to.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

If anyone, it will be Nintendo. I wasn't planning on buying another system, but when I saw the price tag and how much people love the Wii, I might just have to.

DS's are killing right now, too. Nintendo's going back to the top again with this one.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

i'd actually hold off a bit until after the holidays to get a wii (if thats what you want).

wait until all the hyperbole is flattened, and real opinions start to surface.

nintendo fans are proclaming this the greatest thing to happen to gaming, the return of the Big N to console games, but it could very well end up being the biggest inflated flop of all time.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

i'd actually hold off a bit until after the holidays to get a wii (if thats what you want).

wait until all the hyperbole is flattened, and real opinions start to surface.

nintendo fans are proclaming this the greatest thing to happen to gaming, the return of the Big N to console games, but it could very well end up being the biggest inflated flop of all time.

Oh yah I'm in no rush. My 360 could hold me over for quite a while...maybe until the price is down to about 150-200 range lol. It will either be the greatest thing to ever happen, or the biggest flop in gaming history. It is a big dare on Nintendos part...kind of like the iMac, how it was so revultionary and a great success, while the Newton, while completly revolutionary, flopped. I'm hoping it will surprise everyone though.