Apple reference stirs touch-screen iPod frenzy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A reference to an iPod digital music player with a "touch-screen" interface that turned up in a recently revised Apple Computer iPod developer document is causing some excitement amongst the Apple enthusiast community this week.

The solitary reference in an otherwise irrelevant and lengthy tutorial (1.5MB) on interfacing with the iPod's text-based "Notes" feature is more than likely a misprint than a company slip-up, but is garnering widespread attention amongst the blogging community nonetheless.

"Linking to photos and videos is supported only for 5th generation iPods running iPod Software version 1.2 or later," a technical writer for Apple wrote on page 10 of the 47-page tutorial. "All other Notes feature capabilities described in this document are supported for iPod models with display screens, beginning with the touch-screen models."

Based on the preceding information in the document, it's believed the citation is no more than a mistyped reference to the company's third-generation iPods which sport a touch-sensitive click-wheel interface.

Still, recent patent filings have made it abundantly clear the Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker is hard at work on a next-generation hard disk drive iPod that will likely sport some form of touch-screen control. The latest and most extensive filing that turn up last month referenced several touch-based iPod designs, including some with touch-screens and others with touch-sensitive enclosures.

Traditionally a tight-lipped company, Apple's divulgence in the latest series of filings emphasizes its willingness to tip its hand in order gain exclusive patent rights to vital next-generation media player technologies.

Apple has already been late to bat at least once in filing for crucial digital media player patents, which cost it dearly via an out-of-court settlement. In August, it payed rival Creative Technologies $100 million for a license to use its software interface patent, which covers most aspects of a digital music player's software interface, including the one featured on display-based iPods.

Apple, which filed for its own patent on the iPod's software interface, was turned down by the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a result of the earlier filing by Creative.

Update: As presumed, the touch-screen mention was a typo. The developer document has now been corrected to read: "All other Notes feature capabilities described in this document are supported for iPod models beginning with third-generation iPod (dock connector) models with touch wheel."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Last week's news depending how on top of things you are. I believe it isn't a screw up. Besides with all the commotion you'd think Apple would correct the "mistype" by removing the reference or pull the PDF if it was true. Neither has happened yet.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Weird.. It looks like a typo on Click-Wheel.. but why they would use "Touch-Screen" is beyond me.

The date on this PDF is October 20th 06
  • Reply 3 of 17
    it's a typo. but the touch-screen or touch-sensitive-edges ipods should come out soon anyway, that's my guess.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    regardless of whether it is a typo or not i am salivating at the thought of a touch screen ipod with a bigger screen. such a device would certainly be worth the presubmebly high price for it. it sounds like appleinsider is in denial that this could be the long awaited smoking gun proof.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Betting it's a typo... touch-wheel.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

it's a typo. but the touch-screen or touch-sensitive-edges ipods should come out soon anyway, that's my guess.

Other than just saying, "it's a typo"... how do you know 100% for sure it is just that, a typo?

EDIT: I mean, did you write it yourself and are just too lazy to correct it? Please, enlighten everyone.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I dont think its a typo. I think regressing in technology is the new fad.

On a serious note I dont care if the iPod is touch screen. If it was a stylus though...Id hate it. I hate stupid little stylus'. They seem so wimpy and flimsy. and just not part of the usual Apple aesthetics.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's probably a typo but in any case when apple has a true video ipod with a screen at least 3.5 inches I will buy it. You hear that apple! Don't disappoint me!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Has not the link originally citing the reference and/or the text changed?

I highly doubt that it is a typo. More likely, a printer's or art director's galley of what is to come. Which could mean that someone accidently posted it prematurely or a strategic step done purposely to drive another nail in the Zune launch coffin.

Either way, its beautiful! Just beautiful!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Patents don't actually cost much for these corporations, do they?

Can someone who understands patent law please explain to me what stops companies from filing for anything and everything that they can think of? All I can think of is:
    1. they expire

2. others might copy your idea (as if it was original to begin with?!?!?)

Why not just file patents for anything and everything and then not say which ones are for real so they can remain both flexible and secretive?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Apple has already amended the doc in question to clarify supported iPod models. It' "touch wheel" folks.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

Other than just saying, "it's a typo"... how do you know 100% for sure it is just that, a typo?

EDIT: I mean, did you write it yourself and are just too lazy to correct it? Please, enlighten everyone.

typo.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Does Apple regularly refer to this as a "touch-wheel"? I thought they always called it a "click-wheel".
  • Reply 14 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Does Apple regularly refer to this as a "touch-wheel"? I thought they always called it a "click-wheel".

Those iPods didn't have a clickwheel. The clickwheel is a touchwheel with integrated buttons, as in iPod 4G, iPod mini and beyond.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Those iPods didn't have a clickwheel. The clickwheel is a touchwheel with integrated buttons, as in iPod 4G, iPod mini and beyond.

yeah, the touch wheel is only on the one with the 4 buttons along the top
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede

yeah, the touch wheel is only on the one with the 4 buttons along the top

and the 2nd gen ipod.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Hasn't it recently been established that the next big leap in iPods won't be touch screens but rather "touch edges?" I'd much rather see that than an invasive "click wheel" in the middle of the screen. Plus, fingerprints in a screen are bad.