apple branded external harddrives

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I wonder why apple does not sell external hard drives (besides the iPod or xserve raid), it will be cool to have a apple branded external hardrive, apple should partner wih LeCie or Western Digital or other hard drive vendor and have them create an apple hard drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    you already can, its called a MacPro, Macbook, Macbook Pro, and iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cesar

I wonder why apple does not sell external hard drives (besides the iPod or xserve raid), it will be cool to have a apple branded external hardrive, apple should partner wih LeCie or Western Digital or other hard drive vendor and have them create an apple hard drive.

Nope, all that would do is put prices up. Lacie are very competitive and I don't want all my products to be Apple just for the sake of it. They'd probably end up designing it so you couldn't upgrade the drives easily like the Mini and MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    We don't need just another external hard drive. We need Apple to come out with a Network Storage server with Gigabit Ethernet, RAID/XRAID, remote encrypted syncing, etc. Something like Infrant's ReadyNAS but made by Apple so it natively supports HFS+, Apple's networking protocol, etc.

If something like this doesn't come out I won't have anymore room on my poor little iBook to purchase anymore content from iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

We don't need just another external hard drive. We need Apple to come out with a Network Storage server with Gigabit Ethernet, RAID/XRAID, remote encrypted syncing, etc. Something like Infrant's ReadyNAS but made by Apple so it natively supports HFS+, Apple's networking protocol, etc.

If something like this doesn't come out I won't have anymore room on my poor little iBook to purchase anymore content from iTunes.

Hey, leave the good cheap hard drives to the makers of hard drives; just sticking the Apple logo on it drives up the price for no reason, but this NAS/server/walk-in-the-room-and-all-my-machines-(iPod, laptop, etc.)-automatically-sync thingie would have me buying.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Apple has been there, done that, and has the T-shirt. In fact, I own an Apple-branded external drive. It connects to my old PowerMac 9500 via SCSI. The drive was manufactured by LaCie and has absolutely no advantage over a LaCie-branded LaCie drive. Well, if you consider a higher price to be an advantage, my Apple-branded LaCie drive did cost more than a LaCie-branded LaCie drive.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

80 GB HD from the iPod + Al enclosure the size of the Nano + No screen + USB/FW/Ethernet would be nice.

Would go real nice with time machine.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Why would we need such a thing?

There are plenty of nice drives out there and very cool enclosures.

I rather Apple focus in what really matters. Computers.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Apple could -- and would -- sell a *ton* of Apple-branded external drives with Macs running Leopard & Time Machine.

I think it's a no-brainer.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member

Remember these beige-with-yellow-tint bad boys?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Yes, I do.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Good times, good times....
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Well it's definitely worth pointing out that with Leopard supporting back-up to external media (primarily hard drives), going into the external hard drive business is not totally out of question. But a big thing that comes up when thinking about potential Apple products is the current market. And I think for right now, Apple would rather stay out and let someone else (whoever is currently doing it) keep doing it.

Personally, a Apple external server/mini-RAID option would be nice.