An application for producing mixed CDs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all,

i wanted to know if there's an application for producing mixed CDs - resulting in a seamless (ish) mix with tracks (any of your chosen songs).

Currently i use Jam 6.0.1 and it's not too shabby, BUT it only allows for cross fades. With the right songs and enough fiddling around it can produce pretty good CDs, but i want something that allows a little more.

For example, somethnig that will allow you to fade the song that is being mixed out to a certain point, then keep it at that level while introducing the next song.... eventually the second song sweeps off and the first can be faded out completely. Jam doesn't allow this because it only does constant fades... so there is no plateauing of the volume. Does that make sense?

Also, something that allows for the addition of vocal snippets on top of the tracks would be great.

The big advantage to Jam is that it doesn't need to copy the music files, it keeps them in your music library and instead writes a file that says when one song ends and the next begins.

Anyway, if anyone can list suitable apps - and i'll see what turns up - that'd be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    There are none?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    (edit) Sorry, misread.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It sounds like you really want an audio editing program rather than just a CD burning program. Something like the free Audacity can do all kinds of tricks like what you want, then you just save it as aiff or wav and burn it to a CD.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    As BRussell said, it sounds like what you really want is audio editing software. Amadeus II might do the trick for you. I'd treat this situation as creating one single CD-length audio file, containing all of the music I was mixing. Only when the mixing was complete would I worry about breaking this single file into tracks. With the right software (Toast maybe?), you wouldn't have to actually break that big audio file into separate files for each track, you could simple burn it as one file and specify as part of the burn process where you'd like to place track indications.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

With the right software (Toast maybe?), you wouldn't have to actually break that big audio file into separate files for each track, you could simple burn it as one file and specify as part of the burn process where you'd like to place track indications.

Does anyone know if this can actually be done with Toast? And if so, what's the feature called? I have Toast 6 Titanium
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Traktor by Native Instruments
  • Reply 7 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

Traktor by Native Instruments

Yikes, $230. Probably a little more than the OP was shooting for.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Yikes, $230. Probably a little more than the OP was shooting for.

Yeah. It's one hell of a program, though.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Looks it.