Question about Apple's Backup app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I do not plan on renewing my .Mac account and I was wondering if the app will work after my account closes. I assume so since that would be pretty raw of Apple to make it so the app only works if the user has an active .Mac account, but I just want to be sure before I find out the hard way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

I do not plan on renewing my .Mac account and I was wondering if the app will work after my account closes. I assume so since that would be pretty raw of Apple to make it so the app only works if the user has an active .Mac account, but I just want to be sure before I find out the hard way.

You can still use Backup, however, it will be heavily reduced functionality. You will only be able to backup 100MB/backup. You will also want to make sure your .Mac email address is not your iTunes ID too. When your .mac stops, so will the reciepts to the itunes store unless you pick a new Apple ID for iTunes. I am not sure how backup is going to compete with Time Machine, but I can imagine it will be the same fate as sherlock had when Widgets came out.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    It won't have any problem restoring any backups that were made prior to my account expiring, will it? Too bad it is not one of the apps we "get" for free when we opened our .mac account.