build your own OS X intel machine?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There is something I am not clear about. Can you buy a copy of OS X Intel, and install it on a machine you build yourself?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Not that I am aware of. If that were the case, Microsoft would be in trouble!
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Hmmm: I just dont understand what they're smoking in Cupertino, it sure isnt apples.

Now is this illegal, or impossible?

• Reply 3 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's unsupported, somewhat illegal, and a complete bitch.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Thanks Placebo:

I am in the market for a PC/Mac and a console/game platform, AND a monitor/HDTV to go with it/them. I hate Windows, and loathe Microsoft. I just do not want to give that company my money, or support their market share in computers or consoles.

I'd love to buy a Mac, but I've got to have my games. Beyond that, I just cant understand why somebody with nothing to lose (Apple), does not integrate the PC/TV console market.

• Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

Hmmm: I just dont understand what they're smoking in Cupertino, it sure isnt apples.

Now is this illegal, or impossible?

Apple just informed me that if you, The Populist, wrote drivers for every existing piece of PC hardware that was released after 1999, and submitted these drivers, they'd release OS X for PCs.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Gee, that sounds like a reeaaal good deal.

Why does OS X need drivers for every device that runs (or ever ran), under Windows? I dont want windows or their crap, that's the whole point. Mr. Kim Kap Sol, if Apple can hear you tell them this:

I am sitting at my desk on my PC. I also own another computer, an Xbox, but it is a proprietary computer that only plays games. There is a DVD player in my PC just like the one in my Xbox, and then of course I have my DVD player connected to my TV. I am reading a computer monitor that is technically very similar to my TV.

In short, I have two computers, two monitors, and three DVD players. But they are all proprietary, so they cant communicate with one another. I have wires and power chords for my PC, monitor, speakers, and modem. And again for my my TV, DVD player, and Xbox.

Millions of people have the same mess on their desks and in their living rooms. And the next generation of computers for the desktop/living room are just more expensive versions of the same thing. Since Apple does not provide an all in one solution, let people build one themselves and buy OS X.

• Reply 7 of 31
    Ummm...ok.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

There is something I am not clear about. Can you buy a copy of OS X Intel, and install it on a machine you build yourself?

No. The license agreement for OS X requires that you only run it on Apple hardware.

I think also, not sure, that the retail copies of OS X Tiger are still PPC-only. So you can't get a copy of OS X anyway without stealing it, and we don't allow discussion of that sort of topic here.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Thanks Placebo:

I am in the market for a PC/Mac and a console/game platform, AND a monitor/HDTV to go with it/them. I hate Windows, and loathe Microsoft. I just do not want to give that company my money, or support their market share in computers or consoles.

I'd love to buy a Mac, but I've got to have my games. Beyond that, I just cant understand why somebody with nothing to lose (Apple), does not integrate the PC/TV console market.

So why can't you buy the Mac and run Bootcamp/Windows when you need the gaming fix??? Running that way with an ATi X1900 will pretty much handle what you would want to throw at one of the new Intel Mac Pros.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Hiro, I've read about this Bootcamp beta, but how well can bootcamp run the latest games? How much performance degradation is there compared to a Windows machine? In other words, could a Mac Mini run Half Life 2?

Lundy:

I hope no one here thinks I am suggesting stealing or pirating software. I just figured out what a USB port is and how to get my microphone to work when I plugged it in. Hell, if I could do all that configure.sys stuff I wouldnt have this problem.

That's why I would love to have a mac that solved all those problems.

• Reply 11 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

No. The license agreement for OS X requires that you only run it on Apple hardware.

I think also, not sure, that the retail copies of OS X Tiger are still PPC-only. So you can't get a copy of OS X anyway without stealing it, and we don't allow discussion of that sort of topic here.

Exactly. There is no such thing as a retail version of OS X for Intel at this point. The only arguably legal way would be:

1) live in a country where the*respective EULA sections are void (e.g., Germany)

2) buy an Intel Mac

3) uninstall Mac OS X completely from it

4) install the same copy of Mac OS X on your custom machine.

Since that's totally ridiculous (especially the third part), OS X on non-Apple machines is effectively illegal, end of story.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yeah - we have the same thread going on over at DSLR. Guy has posted a link to this site:

http://semthex.freeflux.net/faq/

Which he claims makes it "legal" to run OS X x86. I don't know where these guys claim to have gotten the GUI "legally" though.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Tis only a matter of time. . .
  • Reply 14 of 31
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Hiro, I've read about this Bootcamp beta, but how well can bootcamp run the latest games? How much performance degradation is there compared to a Windows machine? In other words, could a Mac Mini run Half Life 2?

Bootcamp turns the Mac into a Windows (compatible) box. You still have to install WIndows in the partition it creates. There is no slowdown. No emulation is taking place.

However the Mac Mini has a low end graphics chip, which is fine for video, but not so great for the polygonal complexity that is City 17. An iMac would be a better choice for games.

C.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Ok, so Boot Camp creates a partition that allows Windows to run. But Apple does not install windows, good for them. Do you have to restart your computer to switch between Windows and OS X using Boot Camp?

• Reply 16 of 31
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Do you have to restart your computer to switch between Windows and OS X using Boot Camp?

yes, yes you do. its not that much of a problem though
  • Reply 17 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Yeah - we have the same thread going on over at DSLR. Guy has posted a link to this site:

http://semthex.freeflux.net/faq/

Which he claims makes it "legal" to run OS X x86. I don't know where these guys claim to have gotten the GUI "legally" though.

That site speaks of needing TPM keys to run the full OS, whereas Apple does not use TPM keys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big Mac

Tis only a matter of time. . .

Until what?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Ok, so Boot Camp creates a partition that allows Windows to run. But Apple does not install windows, good for them. Do you have to restart your computer to switch between Windows and OS X using Boot Camp?

Believe me, it's great.I have a Mac Pro and an X1900 XT and run Half-Life 2 and Battlefield 2 at framerates above the rate my screen can display them, at 1050x1680 with full antialiasing and everything. Runs great.

Also, there has been a recently announced kernel extension for Mac OS X that allows it to use ANY PC Nvidia card; therefore, you could buy an 8800GTX or other kickass new card and have it work flawlessly in both OS's.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Damn, that sounds awesome Placebo. To be quite honest, I said in an earlier post that I oppose computer piracy, and I do. But I would have no problem "acquiring" a copy of windows without paying M$.

I'd really love to invest in the next generation of computer gear without giving that despicable company any of my money, or contributing to their market share in consoles, (Xbox 360). I really hate what M$ is doing. Here is an old essay of mine, which spells out my opinion:

http://thepopulist.wordpress.com/the...-of-microsoft/

• Reply 20 of 31
    Here is the latest glitch in M$ Xbox 360. Anyone here with an Xbox 360 should be warned NOT to download the "fall update" from Xbox Live. Here's the link to the entire story from 1up.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154864

11/02/2006

52 of 52 users recommend this story.

When Microsoft issued their anticipated fall dashboard update on Tuesday, 1080p support wasn't the only new feature, as several use started reporting ERROR CODE E71, which essentially "bricked" their console, rendering it unusable for surfing Xbox Live or playing games -- you know, everything an Xbox 360 is useful for. Initial reports suggested these problems were isolated to users who'd modified their firmware to play back-ups, but that's not the case.