Quicktime wont work for me in certain situations??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

I can't find the plug-in to fix this, and I can't find out what's wrong. I have 'Flip4Mac' installed. I just can't understand why apple doesn't just bundle all the plug-ins required to make "it just work". Somebody please help me fix this!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Download and install the Perian QuickTime codec. If this does not do the trick, you will have to tell us which format your trouble content is in. VLC will give you this information.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Download and install the Perian QuickTime codec. If this does not do the trick, you will have to tell us which format your trouble content is in. VLC will give you this information.

I have Perain already installed, I got a copy of Windows yesterday, I had another certain cat on the other partition, but for some reason when I reverted back to one partition BooCamp couldn't partition my HDD for windows without me doing a clean install. Even though I saved preferences etc. that's when the problem arose. By the way that dialog box you see above is from when I visited the main Quicktime site on the tab at Apple.com
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Well clearly you changed something when you installed Boot Camp and have yet to change it back. Also, the technique that Apple uses to embed video in its web pages is very sensitive your selection of codecs and media players.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I can't find the plug-in to fix this, and I can't find out what's wrong. I have 'Flip4Mac' installed. I just can't understand why apple doesn't just bundle all the plug-ins required to make "it just work". Somebody please help me fix this!!

It looks like the mime mapping to the quicktime plugin might be messed up or your /Library/Internet Plugins folder is missing the Quicktime web plugin. I actually have two Quicktime plugins in that folder oddly and if I go to the help menu in Safari and choose show plugins, it says both handle the same mime types.

You used to be able to edit these mappings manually with the likes of Netscape but not so much now. I don't know if this program does that:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618

It looks like it may do something different.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I've still yet to fix the issue, I tried what was suggested, but to no avail. Anyone know?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I visited this site:

And saw this:

I still can't solve the issue, and I checked the Apple discussion boards too, but no solution yet.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Did you try installing Quicktime again? Just download it from apple.com and it should replace any files that are there though you may need to remove the quicktime receipt from the /Library/receipts to allow you to reinstall it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Finally sorted.. Thank you very much Marvin, you've solved it!! And thanks to the rest who helped too.