Its almost here !

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The G80s are just around the corner-

Its a matter of days until its launched.

Are you getting it for your iMac/Mac Pro ?

(For Bootcamp)

If so, what model-

GTX, or GTS ?

Im getting a 8800 GTX 8)

EDIT_1: Here is a link about its performance.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812

I damn well tell you-

The 8800 is no slacker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I cant wait either - but im going to. There just aren't the games at the moment. The only thing promising on the horizon from my pov is incrysis.

Buying a new computer (PC) is a bit silly at the moment imo. 2007 is going to usher in a completely radical era of systems. Nvidia, Intel, and hopefully ATI and AMD get their act together, and Vista (which im not touching btw - xp sp2 will be on my system until it absolutely refuses to work)

Things are going to be totally different in 6 months time - Im waiting until all the dust settles and making an informed decision on what to buy when all the pieces are inplace.

If Apple release the elusive single processor 4 core minitower i'll but that (ducks!)
  • Reply 2 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wow, nice!

The best part is that it's Nvidia, and will therefore be supported by Titan:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=247682
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Omg ! It just gets better and better.

Wow.

I really cant believe I have an elusive 8800 in my hands soon
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I'll buy one when there's a game that I play that actually benefits from it.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Also, I'll wait to see how this runs in the Mac Pro, ie, how people end up getting power to the card when it requires two power connectors instead of one.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I'll buy one when there's a game that I play that actually benefits from it.

Im not a big gamer, infact i mostly play games as much because im interested in 3d graphics and the tech, but doesnt the games industry really really suck at the moment?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Games industry has never been better, really. People scream "PC gaming is dead" every time an overhyped console is about to be released and then realize that, hey, the guys at Nvidia or ATI making the console graphics card are just putting derivatives of their PC stuff in. So then a month later, the PC is ahead again.

For example:

The PS3 has what is essentially an overclocked 7800GT. Truly great GPU, but, uh, we PC people have the 8800GTX now.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Placebo:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion won't run at high definition with any current card or SLI combination of cards.

So there's your current game which will benefit from 8800 series.

There's a lot of stuff coming out around January which will tax cards heavily. Take Crysis for instance... Geforce 6600 minimum and 7800GTX recommended.

Hardware doesn't matter, games matter, and the PC still has so much that the consoles don't. And won't, because the controllers and environment are different. The next-gen console games still aren't moddable and customizable, even if they are networked. And people might still not be able to run their own servers.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Yeah but the Oblivion deal is more likely due to bad occlusion and optimization than anything else.

As for Crysis and UT2k7, those are two games I will want to play at 1680x1050 badly, and will most likely merit an 8800GTX.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I'd have to say PC gaming is slowly dying. People are realizing that the game developers can optimize for consoles better than PC's, because there is so much hardware differences than the consoles. Also how much are you going to be paying for that one chip? I know I paid 400 for my xbox and am set for about 6-7 years, with games never starting to run worse. I would much rather pay that once, for great hardware, than pay every few months for the next processor, GPU, and so on. It will take a while but PC gaming will eventually die...

Also I unfortunatly can't buy the 8800 even if I wanted to because I can't exactly upgrade my iMac very well \ Doesn't really matter I guess though.

The Mac Pro's performance with this is pretty important to Macs. If this starts off many new Mac GPU's than eventually we might get more and more gamers...I can be hopeful can't I?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Well there's less and less reason to even need "Mac" GPUs. Hopefully eventually there won't be an issue at all to what GPU you buy and whether it works.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Well there's less and less reason to even need "Mac" GPUs. Hopefully eventually there won't be an issue at all to what GPU you buy and whether it works.

i guess it depends on when PC ship with EFI instead of BIOS, I thought this was supposed to happen with Vista, but apparently not anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Also I unfortunatly can't buy the 8800 even if I wanted to because I can't exactly upgrade my iMac very well \ Doesn't really matter I guess though.

And every time someone suggests apple build a lightly expandable conroe minitower we get shouted down from all corners.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Games industry has never been better, really. People scream "PC gaming is dead" every time an overhyped console is about to be released and then realize that, hey, the guys at Nvidia or ATI making the console graphics card are just putting derivatives of their PC stuff in. So then a month later, the PC is ahead again.

For example:

The PS3 has what is essentially an overclocked 7800GT. Truly great GPU, but, uh, we PC people have the 8800GTX now.

yep we have an 8800 gtx and absolutely nothing to play on it. Sure all the old games run faster, but there aren't exactly many titles that kill the last generation.

I watched a fairly long trailer for PS3 today, and to be fair, considering these are 1st generation games, without the Windows overhead and general PC architecture, a PS3 running a minimal OS and with direct connection to the 7800GT is more than a match for PC games.

ps3 is easily has a 6 year life, and this is just the start, people have to write engines to use all the power - I bet ridge racer 7 is using about a quarter of that at the moment.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Well, we have Huxley, Crysis, UT2k7, BF2142, potentially Gears of War...

Although I see what you're saying, there are less truly amazing nex-gen titles for the PC. Really I think Vista and DX10 will really allow game devs more potential to unleash kickass graphics on their games. Also, Microsoft is really kind of pushing a PC gaming initiative, trying to get the popularity back up.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

I'd have to say PC gaming is slowly dying. People are realizing that the game developers can optimize for consoles better than PC's, because there is so much hardware differences than the consoles. Also how much are you going to be paying for that one chip? I know I paid 400 for my xbox and am set for about 6-7 years, with games never starting to run worse. I would much rather pay that once, for great hardware, than pay every few months for the next processor, GPU, and so on. It will take a while but PC gaming will eventually die...

Meh. You don't need new GPU's but every few years. You just lower the resolution and effects once in a while. Processor needs even less upgrading.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

yep we have an 8800 gtx and absolutely nothing to play on it. Sure all the old games run faster, but there aren't exactly many titles that kill the last generation.

Try Supreme Commander. You won't see that on 360, PS3 or Wii.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon

Try Supreme Commander. You won't see that on 360, PS3 or Wii.

but thats surely not a power thing is it - more of a controller issue with that sort of game.

But thanks for that, i might check out supreme commander - might bring back memories of sneaking into the office with my buds on a saturday morning to play red-alert! I had a quick look to see if there are any more C&C games, looks like a new one soon.

But where is Duke Nukem Forever???
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Hey 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD

Nvidia just recalled all the 8800GTX's because they were fitted with the wrong resistor!!

sucks to be you!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Heh, didn't know they were shipping. And at least they got recalled early before they did god knows what to themselves and the computers they were in.