Dashboard: How can I get my Apple widgets back?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I installed Windows XP on the other partition, when for some reason or other Bootcamp requested that I backed up my stuff and reinstalled the whole OS (I used it before to install various other OS's). The point is I accidentally deleted a few of the Apple widgets I shouldn't have, how can I get them back? (I'm on 10.4.8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    do yu have a bootable CD/DVD of 10.4 handy?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

do yu have a bootable CD/DVD of 10.4 handy?

I do, 10.4.4
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Now if you also have an app called Pacifist it will allow you to open the installer pkgs and save the widgets to your desktop and then place them back into the correct folder. I would also re-run the 10.4.8 combo updater as some widgets may have been updated since 10.4.4 or dashboard.

Lets know if you run into any problems as help will be at hand.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Now if you also have an app called Pacifist it will allow you to open the installer pkgs and save the widgets to your desktop and then place them back into the correct folder. I would also re-run the 10.4.8 combo updater as some widgets may have been updated since 10.4.4 or dashboard.

Lets know if you run into any problems as help will be at hand.

I have Pacifist, and the disk, how do I access the widgets?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Have the DVD mounted on the desktop. Open pacifist and click on Open Apple Installer pkgs then click OK when the window opens. This takes a little time for all the pkgs to open.

The following images will show what needs to be clicked on to get to the widgets.

Once you get to this point you will need then to do the following to save them to the desktop.

Simply click on the widgets you need and then click on Extract to (as install cuasues some problems) They will be extracted to the desktop which is easiest. You may need to insert you admin pass if asked.

Then place in widgets folder and authenicate.

I would then run 10.4.8 combo updater to update any dashboard or widgets that would have been updated since 10.4.4. Probably also repair the permissions as they may get mucked up.

All should then work as normal.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thank you, that worked perfectly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    excellent that all is working normally again