New Macbook next week.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So I just bought my Macbook this past Wednesday and now I hear a new macbook might be released next week.

I'm still within my return period, I bought it on November 1st, so if they release on the 13th or 14 I can still take it back and exchange it right?

If they release at the end of the month I'm pretty much out of luck.

I've known the new macbooks would be coming at some point, I just figured it probably wouldn't be till Macworld and I didn't want to wait that long. But if it's in the next week or two I definitely want to trade up. Especially if it has dedicated graphics.

Either way I guess I wait a week and see. But what is the real likelihood new macbooks will be released this month?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Personally I'd wait, cause I think they'll come very soon, but in the end your the judge.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    i think they'll come around in January at macworld
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    If they do update it, it will be to Core 2 Duo so nothing to be bothered about. I wouldn't go to all the hassle of returning the laptop for a fairly insignificant CPU bump. This is going to happen a lot with the Intel machines. It used to be frustrating when Apple updated PPC machines so close to a purchase because we had to wait so long for them to come along but updates are more frequent now.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    If it was just a speed bump I'd agree with you Marvin, however we're talking 32/64bit. With Leopard being able to take advantage of 64bit, meaning a core 2 duo will stand the test of time better.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedDel

If it was just a speed bump I'd agree with you Marvin, however we're talking 32/64bit. With Leopard being able to take advantage of 64bit, meaning a core 2 duo will stand the test of time better.

Not only that, but some users of the new MacBook Pro's have noticed they can put them on thier laps now without them burning. I did think they were coming at MacWorld, but have since changed my mind, they can basically just put the new chips in, and sell them. 64bit is future-proofing too!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

With Leopard being able to take advantage of 64bit, meaning a core 2 duo will stand the test of time better.

Tiger has already the abilty to run 64-bit binaries from the terminal. Leopard will expand this but anyway, how would you expect to take advantage of the 64-bit-ness of C2D as an avarage user, unless you need huge amounts of memory (somehting that laptops are not going to get for a long time yet) or you do 64-bit arithmetic in some programming language? Let me guess, 64-bit means and will mean nothing for the 99% of the users for a long time, at least long enough to turn current or next generation machines into collector items.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Not only that, but some users of the new MacBook Pro's have noticed they can put them on thier laps now without them burning.

Now, this is something to consider. Apparently, C2D has advantages over CD that are much more meaningful for the average user than 64-bit extensions.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

I doubt it. You won't be able to take advantage of 64-bit for a long time and it doesn't really have that many advantages from what I've read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

What I wonder is why not skip 64-bit and go to 128 anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat..._256-bit.3F.3F

256-bit isn't needed but I don't see why you'd go with 64-bit when 128-bit is available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

some users of the new MacBook Pro's have noticed they can put them on thier laps now without them burning.

I highly doubt those people would have owned the old MBP to compare plus heat depends on other factors like firmware settings and what apps you run. If there are indeed significant temperatue differences then I agree that would be good reason to get it:

http://laptoping.com/c2d-macbook-pro...hmark-etc.html

If it's like the 40 degrees on that site then definitely.