MacBook: Core 2 Duo or Price drop?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Sure, but all everyone is going to remember is something about Core and Duo. 2 and Duo meaning pretty much the same thing will confuse many.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

is that a real picture? just asking

I could be wrong, but it looks like a screen cap from the movie 'Scanners'.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem

Two things on this thread:

1) Which would you prefer...seeing the core 2 duo introduced into the MacBook by the holiday season, or seeing the price drop about $100 or $200 instead?

2) Which seems more likely? What would MacBook sales look like if the thing were $200 cheaper? How would apple's stock be affected by such an announcement? If people are already buying the MacBook without the core 2, what incentive would that give?

Personally, I dont think adding the core 2 duo will do much for sales. What needs to happen is attracting more people away from PC and to the MacBook. For instance, the comparable dell laptop runs for about $800. If I try to buy a macbook with the same specs, its going to be about $400 more (at least). The OS alone isnt going to catch people by the holidays...esp if Lepoard isn't out yet. So....forget the core 2 in macbooks. Macbook Pro is a different story, but just give me a price drop on the MB for christmas. (I havent bought one yet because I expect either the upgrade or price drop to happen soon)

Apple stock would definitely be helped by such a price drop...especially if the company has been working hard to decrease the cost of production. If you decrease the cost of production, and decrease the sale price, sales will increase and your revenue should go up too. The Core 2 Duo is not that big of a deal to people who are buying a macbook. I'm not going to run crazy videogames on any laptop anyways, I just want to word process and watch dvds on the plane. 1.83 ghz and 1gb ram is good enough.

What do you all think?

Well look at this Scenario.

all the laptops with merom, MBP with the 4mb cache. MB with 2mb cache. and the best MB (black one) would have 4mb. it would more like a bridge between the 2 lines.

then in march or april, Leopard + Santarosa will be shipped.

it seems reasonable, an update every 6 months.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

1) Which would you prefer...seeing the core 2 duo introduced into the MacBook by the holiday season, or seeing the price drop about $100 or $200 instead?

Since the MacBook is still on a regular Core Duo and the prices did not drop the margin for Apple for these machines must be pretty high now since prices for old Core Duos must be pretty low now.

Isn't this unfair for us customers? If you by a MacBook today you now pefectly well that Apple is making a ton of money because they are not giving you a current chip.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    My explanation:

Apple simply cannot get enough c2d's from intel to put them in both MBP and MB at this point in time.

Once c2d availability grows, MB will get them as well.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Core 2 Duo is now available in MBP....time for a MB price drop....as in the day after thanksgiving??

opinions?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Core 2 Duo is now available in MBP....time for a MB price drop....as in the day after thanksgiving??

opinions?

Q: MB price drop. A: Dream on...
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by finnns2000

It's inevitable that they can't keep an outdated processor in the laptops for too long, not just Pros either

I am way off evidently
  • Reply 29 of 32
    I guess we got our answer.....too bad it's the wrong one! Apple, just sell me a yonah macbook for $800 why dont you??? I hope you lose money on this!
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

I guess we got our answer.....too bad it's the wrong one! Apple, just sell me a yonah macbook for $800 why dont you??? I hope you lose money on this!

Fact. Yonah price = Merom price.

OK, Maybe discounted Yonah is 20-30% price reduction maybe. OK Yonah price was circa $241 now becomes $168.

This is the best case senario...

Q: Where is the price-drop coming from? A: Apple profits!

You will be able to buy a refurbished or used Yonah Macbook for approx. price you want soon.

OK the old iBook was $1000 but the MacBook is such a lot more...
  • Reply 31 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

They won't make money if thety sell it for $800 either.

Since the MacBook is Apples bestselling Mac I don't think they have to worry about losing money.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zappy

Since the MacBook is still on a regular Core Duo and the prices did not drop the margin for Apple for these machines must be pretty high now since prices for old Core Duos must be pretty low now.

Isn't this unfair for us customers? .

No... Core Duo is as expensive as Core 2 Duo.

Apple can't sell what it can't deliver.

I ordered my MBP the day after it was introduced. I'm still waiting.

Quote:

If you by a MacBook today you now pefectly well that Apple is making a ton of money because they are not giving you a current chip.

They don't make (much) more money now than they did already. So stop complaining.

In the Netherlands you can buy a brand new VAIO Core Duo with the same specs as the MacBook except for the crippled T2050 Core Duo chip and no iSight for 999 euro.

My Boss bought one, nice but unimpressive with tons of bloatware on it, to justify the low(?) price.

I don't consider a 100-300 Euro premium for a MacBook not a lot of money.

I actually consider the VAIO expensive in comparison with the MacBook.