[email protected] contacted me?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Subject: Returned mail: Data format error

Here's what they said:

" Dear user of mac.com,

Your account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited commercial e-mail during the recent week.

Obviously, your computer was compromised and now runs a hidden proxy server.

We recommend that you follow the instructions in order to keep your computer safe.

Have a nice day,

The mac.com team."

down here was a 31.6KB mac.com.zip file

Is this legitimate? What should I do?

p.s. The reason I put this topic under > Applications is because it's got to do with the Mail app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Mind posting the headers? Looks like a scam.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Mind posting the headers? Looks like a scam.

Did someone have the cheek to buy the mail address [email protected]?

What do you mean by "mind posting the headers"?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Oh! You mean the long headers.

Here:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Received: from mac.com (smtpin43-en2 [10.13.9.111]) by ms53.mac.com (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 2.11 (built Mar 22 2006)) with ESMTP id <[email protected]> for <myaddress>; Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:29:14 -0800 (PST)

Received: from mac.com (142-10-237-24.gci.net [24.237.10.142]) by mac.com (Xserve/smtpin43/MantshX 4.0) with ESMTP id kA78RFkH023354for <maddress>; Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:27:36 -0800 (PST)

Message-Id: <[email protected]>

Mime-Version: 1.0

X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0009_EC7EBCE6.BFA10869"

X-Priority: 3

X-Msmail-Priority: Normal

Original-Recipient: rfc822;myaddress
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Did someone have the cheek to buy the mail address [email protected]?

No, they merely pretend to own it. They didn't actually send it from that address.

And, yeah, judging from the headers, that's 99% certainly not an Apple e-mail. Just delete it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No, they merely pretend to own it. They didn't actually send it from that address.

And, yeah, judging from the headers, that's 99% certainly not an Apple e-mail. Just delete it.

They're smart fuckers, cause if I remember correctly last week I recieved what appeard to be genuine email saying: "stop spamming us"

They probably went to the trouble of spamming people pretending that they were me, so I would be more likely to click on the attachment, and follow their stupid instructions.

I've since contacted .Mac, and gave them all the details, and the full headers etc. I should get a message back tomorrow Wed.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    If you had a Windows machine and you had opened the attachment, you would have gotten a virus or something for sure. The name of the attachment is so obvious (mac.com.zip), when you unzip the .zip file, you have a .com file which is a program probably containing some virus code. Double-clicking this file installs the virus / trojan / keylogger.

BUT luckily you have a mac so nothing can go wrong! Press delete and forget.