Adobe's CS3 seen driving new Mac sales in 2007

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five

I think that's what they're trying to do with Final Cut, Apeture, etc.

-Clive

It's a shame Apple has no viable alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator. \
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I totally agreee. I don't like not having a choice...

I wonder if this makes apple nervous, I mean if adobe decides not to make CS4 for some reason.. apple would loose a lot of folks.

flick.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    I just hope it comes out on time. And not late.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Does that user base figure refer to 3 million Mac users or just 3 million users on both Windows and Mac?
  • Reply 25 of 66
    I'm waiting to get a new MacBook Pro when CS3 is out. If Leopard isn't out by then I'll probably wait for that, too. And if sites like this start reporting Apple will change the chipset to allow for a full 4gig of RAM I'll wait for that, too. Based on the rumors, at least the first two should be available in time for my birthday in July!
  • Reply 26 of 66
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

However, I agree that Mac sales will increase when CS3 is released.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Checked Adobe's web site and noticed that only the $449 Professional version of Acrobat 8 is available for Mac. The $299 Standard version is Windows only.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar

Checked Adobe's web site and noticed that only the $449 Professional version of Acrobat 8 is available for Mac. The $299 Standard version is Windows only.

Ouch! The bow shots are really flying now. Once Apple figures out how to replace the PDF core with "something better" all bets are off, baby.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

Ouch! The bow shots are really flying now. Once Apple figures out how to replace the PDF core with "something better" all bets are off, baby.

Why would Mac need the standard version anyway? isn't Preview good enough?

flick.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice

I totally agreee. I don't like not having a choice...

I wonder if this makes apple nervous, I mean if adobe decides not to make CS4 for some reason.. apple would loose a lot of folks.

flick.

It depends on how many Mac users are there. Adobe has just said that Mac usership has been going up. Buy the products. It's that simple.

In my user group, people always complain about companies that discontinue Mac products. But, when I ask people to raise their hands if they bought the product, almost no one does. That's the problem.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reidster

Does that user base figure refer to 3 million Mac users or just 3 million users on both Windows and Mac?

That's the very question I was wondering about.

The AI articles aren't always complete, or accurate.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar

Adobe's reasons for that are that those who buy the product on the Mac platform are content CREATORS. Whereas most users on Windows are content USERS.

Also, many users of Acrobat in Windows are office document users and creators. Most Mac users are publishing users and creators.

There is a difference in the program sophistication required for those tasks.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

I hope they don't. MS is trying to do that right now with their version of XML.

It would be a disaster!

PDF is ubiquitous in almost every industry now. Apple could never hope to come up with something on their own that would be of interest to anyone.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice

Why would Mac need the standard version anyway? isn't Preview good enough?

flick.

Preview isn't useful creation software. PDF's can be made in almost ecery Mac program as Apple standardized on it. Editing is different.

Acrobat Reader competes with Preview. It is free.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I hope they don't. MS is trying to do that right now with their version of XML.

It would be a disaster!

PDF is ubiquitous in almost every industry now. Apple could never hope to come up with something on their own that would be of interest to anyone.

I'd rather Apple come up with the QuickTime equivalent of graphics. Something that would be 100% compatible with PDF, and it would enable new graphics creation minus the reliance on PDF. Isn't the entire OSX graphics engine based on PDF?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

I'd rather Apple come up with the QuickTime equivalent of graphics. Something that would be 100% compatible with PDF, and it would enable new graphics creation minus the reliance on PDF. Isn't the entire OSX graphics engine based on PDF?

I'm not sure what that means. But the document standard is PDF. It's integrated into the OS. The display technology is based on Apple's own technologies. Next had Display Postcript.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

The AI articles aren't always complete, or accurate.

Understatement of the year.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Good 'ol Adobe. The Microsoft Mac Business Unit.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

An Illustrator competitor is available now.

Bundling it with every Mac Pro would be easy.

And if you think Apple doesn't have a secret prototype of a Photoshop competitor in their labs based on their work with Aperture, you are kidding yourself.

The problems are InDesign and (now) Dreamweaver, that's all.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    In 2007 you will probably see new Mac Pro towers with refreshed motherboards. Maybe new chipsets.