iPod Shuffle (gen2): bent clip!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Today I was wearing my iPod like the picture on Apple's Shuffle page:

When I stood up, I heard something falling on the ground. It was my shiny new iPod. But no big deal I thought - until I picked it up. The clip was bent like a piece of cardboard, and is impossible to get straight again. It still works, but as the dock is a precise-fit I can't plug it into my Mac any more. After all, I surely would not recommend buying a Shuffle at this time!

Expect some more pictures very soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That sucks. But if it bent that easily I'd think it would be just as easy to bend back.
  • Reply 2 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

That sucks. But if it bent that easily I'd think it would be just as easy to bend back.

It's nearly impossible (by hand at least) to bend it back any further than I did (it was originally bent a bit more), I think because of the fixing to the body.
  • Reply 3 of 106
    How ironic, I was considering buying one this evening, just made a post above this one. Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 4 of 106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by praseodym

It's nearly impossible (by hand at least) to bend it back any further than I did (it was originally bent a bit more), I think because of the fixing to the body.

You could use a vice, along with a couple of pieces of wood to prevent scratches - but there is a risk of damaging the hinge.
  • Reply 5 of 106
    Whoa thank god I didn't buy one along with the MB I bought last Saturday.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    bag news did it bend on impact or before it 'fell off' your pocket?
  • Reply 7 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

bag news did it bend on impact or before it fell 'off' your pocket?

I suppose it bent the second it fell out of my pocket, because that could be the only way strength on the clip could be big enough to bend it (it's like over-opening the clip).
  • Reply 8 of 106
    were you wearing a belt?

it must have been bent prior to it falling off.

If the clip wasn't bent, I doubt it would come off.

My guess is that it got caught on something like a belt.

The obesity epidemic in America doesn't help matters any.
  • Reply 9 of 106
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    It's a case of simple self inflicted damage.

Put a thin piece of aluminium in your pocket and bend over, it will bend, what else did you expect!
  • Reply 10 of 106
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    You could put something like a drill bit just under the bend and bend the clip back then.
  • Reply 11 of 106
    I'm glad someone's making a "USB key" attachment for the new shuffle.

My advice: don't break your iPod, always worked for me (except for when it didn't that one time).
  • Reply 12 of 106
    Apple web site indicates a "Jean Jacket" flap for attachment. I suppose that area has less stress from sitting or bending than the front pocket of a pair of pants. I am not sure this would make me not get one of these things for XMAS presents.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    That soft a metal, it's a safe bet it bend when you sat down.

I don't see how it could have bend when it hit the ground… at least not like that.

Skip
  • Reply 14 of 106
    Maybe apple should be a little more careful with it's advertising. I remember the fallout from that G3 ad with the guy on the floating pool-chair...
  • Reply 15 of 106
    I have the tools to un-bend it. I don't understand why this is a story. Aluminium bends. I guess it's a story because a lot of people don't know that, and are than surprised when it bends!

People these days don't know a lot of materials...
  • Reply 16 of 106
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    crap, i hit mine with a hammer, i'm going to sue apple, its mushed and the click ring fell off. talk about bad design. I knew I should have bought the FP3 player instead!!

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...0&e=fp3landing
  • Reply 17 of 106
    I suppose it's all based on how you were your trousers (pants). If you have the top of the trousers level with your waist, you should be fine because the pocket will be below your leg joint.
  • Reply 18 of 106
    Sure, aluminum bends. But isn't it a bit of a design flaw that it's possible to do that under normal usage conditions (I'm very cautious with my stuff and this was the first time it fell down)? A possible solution would've been to allow the clip to open more, so that the hinge 'absorbs' the energy which would otherwise be put in bending the clip.

And to reply to others, I wasn't wearing a belt and I'm certainly not overweight (and don't live in the USA either).

Besides that, any suggestions in repairing it nicely? The hinge seems to be very fragile as well and applying any pressure to the whole shuffle, e.g. by using a vice, will make the round part (where the headphone jack is located) lose its shape.
  • Reply 19 of 106
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky

It's a case of simple self inflicted damage.

Put a thin piece of aluminium in your pocket and bend over, it will bend, what else did you expect!

Yeah, you didn't see the guy in the advertisement that clipped it in his pocket sit down, did you? The advertisement said clip it to your coin pocket, it didn't say anything about sitting down.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by praseodym

Sure, aluminum bends. But isn't it a bit of a design flaw that it's possible to do that under normal usage conditions (I'm very cautious with my stuff and this was the first time it fell down)? A possible solution would've been to allow the clip to open more, so that the hinge 'absorbs' the energy which would otherwise be put in bending the clip.

You'll have to get past the first wave of apologists who'll blame you or call you fat on the matter. But in the end then you are 100% right. The choice of metal to use on a clip needs to be pretty sturdy in order to retain its shape. And obviously the metal they used is a bit too flexible for something that has grasps on it and is meant to be clipped/unclipped often. And to those who think bending it back is easy then its not. i guarantee you that it will never be the same.

Keep us up to date on what you do. Im sure there will be others who have this problem and get accused of being negligent and fat before people actually realize the manufacturer may be at fault.