Internet Connection question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I just bought a Macbook and I'm having a hard time connecting to the internet using the airport. It's asking me for a password to connect and I dont have that. My brother who used to lived here had a pc laptop and was able to connect. Can someone please help me? Thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peace

Hi, I just bought a Macbook and I'm having a hard time connecting to the internet using the airport. It's asking me for a password to connect and I dont have that. My brother who used to lived here had a pc laptop and was able to connect. Can someone please help me? Thx

You need the WEP or WPA key for the router. Ask your brother!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    what is WEP and WPA?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Search on wikipedia.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    i need serious help =(
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peace

i need serious help =(

Yes. But this is a computer forum.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Again, ask your brother!

You'll need the following information:

- username and password for accessing the AirPort BaseStation (or other wireless router)

- SSID (station ID, i.e. wireless network name) and password for accessing that network.

- probably you'll also need to know whether the wireless network is secured by "WEP" or "WPA" encryption. If so, the password you have to enter is either a 26-character Hex-key (e.g. 00 E5 A1 55 3F A4, etc) or a phrase or word in regular text (e.g. "this_is_my_password", although such a passwort would be a very weak one, though).

Without any information at all, you could only try to reset your AirPort BaseStation and setting up all the stuff for yourself - which is not too complicated but should be avoided when possible.

Good luck!