Dell beats Apple in unveiling 8 core Xeon workstations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe

Barely... but more to the point, my job is managing computers. I don't think I'd trust it to another computer. Ya know... HAL 9000, Skynet, etc....

We are Colosus We are Guardian.....
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Quote:

suckers. get off the rat treadmill.

If you're talking about 'Word'? I couldn't argue...

But for stuff like 3D...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 23 of 56
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee

So when is the quad core mini coming out????

LOL! Exactly.

Actually, what's going to happen is that everyone's going to want the same performance of an 8-core MacPro crammed into the MacBook and if it's a dime over $999 they'll cry fowl and say they're disappointed in Apple's MacBook offering.

• Reply 24 of 56
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Personally I didn't think Apple was even going to move to 8 cores with kensington, or clovertown. I was thinking they would hold off until the next gen which is supposed to follow these in the first quarter of the 2007 which had an ODMC, and 8 cores on one die, not 2x4 cores on one chip. I hope Apple does skip this round. The few months wait until MWSF seems like a better solution, and great venue to announce a better product than the competition rather than having 2 months with a half ass'ed 4+4 dual 8 core machine that is suddenly surpassed by a true Dual 8 core processor system. Because you know Apple wont update the Mac Pro twice in a 3 to 4 month span.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    all your core are belong to dell!!11!!
  • Reply 26 of 56
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe

Barely... but more to the point, my job is managing computers. I don't think I'd trust it to another computer. Ya know... HAL 9000, Skynet, etc....

It would never work! The original computers would rebel, they'd see the new computer as not having a true/detailed understanding of their real role and refuse to co-operate - all without actually understanding why they were switched on in the first place

McD
  • Reply 27 of 56
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    The b'stards, they killed of my PPC with GHz and now say parallelism is the way forward!!

D'you think this obsession with multi-core chips will undermine the whole idea of benchmarks (grading systems by their performance in unrealistically singular tasks when few people actually use them in that way). As those benchmarks are changed, to bring broader factors like responsiveness into play, will anyone be surprised when the old PPCs creep back up the charts?
  • Reply 28 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave

D'you think this obsession with multi-core chips will undermine the whole idea of benchmarks (grading systems by their performance in unrealistically singular tasks when few people actually use them in that way). As those benchmarks are changed, to bring broader factors like responsiveness into play, will anyone be surprised when the old PPCs creep back up the charts?

I would be surprised because I don't see much difference in responsiveness between the machine architectures, under load or not. The thing that's most important to me is quiet while still being powerful. Mac Pro is a lot quieter than the PMG5s that I have owned, and aren't whiny under load, unlike my G5s.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Dell beats Apple in unveiling 8 core Xeon workstations

This is the most rediculous headline EVER. Is this a race? No... Like some guy is standing by thinking, "soon as I can get my hot little hands on 8 core I'm buying one. I don't care who makes it."

It's going to be available at the same time anyway.... so who gives a rats ace?
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Apple will wait until the octo they want is ready. I assume they will offer it as the top of the line.

They wont use 2 processors as Dell does on the 690 in order to reach the 8 cores. Since Apple managed to offer a better design in order to give more space to HHD and the memory raiser cards they wont go back and redesign its tower. They will just wait for the Octo they think its the rigth choice.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon.

8x1.what gig?

I'd rather have four cours at 3 gig.

I thought the 2.66 was going to hit by the end of the year? Hmm. And for the price? Good luck Dell.

I'll wait until Apple does it properly with their Octo machine. Seems like Dell are doing the old Apple pre-order routine.

Apple are doing more of the 'shipping today' thing.

When 8x2.66-ish arrives. Then I may get excited. And only if it's at the price point of the current 3 gigger.

Maybe it might take longer than thought to arrive. Maybe next Summer at the latest. Thought they were going to make it before Christmas. This 'low' clock is a little disappointing.

I wonder how it will bench in something like Lightwave...

Lemon Bon Bon

Everyone does the pre-order thing.

It's just that as Apple now uses the same technology, we pay more attention to those other companies than we did before.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulyssespdx

you guys understand the incestuous relationship between software and hardware manufacturers, right? that software is made to use up whatever hardware is available - faster hardware is made--et cetera et cetera?

that you can do just as much work with Mac OS 8.5, 256mb of RAM and an old copy of Word as you can with Mac OS 10.5, 2Gb of RAM and Word 2004?

Actually, you can't.

The subset of work that you can do with Word 5.1 on the old machine might be as fast as that same sub-set on a modern machine, because those basic functions don't require much power, but you can do vastly more with the new software and hardware.

You could say the same thing about any old program, but it wouldn't be true either.

PS 2.5 seemed fast back then. But, 9 runs much faster on a new machine, and does far more.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Personally I didn't think Apple was even going to move to 8 cores with kensington, or clovertown. I was thinking they would hold off until the next gen which is supposed to follow these in the first quarter of the 2007 which had an ODMC, and 8 cores on one die, not 2x4 cores on one chip. I hope Apple does skip this round. The few months wait until MWSF seems like a better solution, and great venue to announce a better product than the competition rather than having 2 months with a half ass'ed 4+4 dual 8 core machine that is suddenly surpassed by a true Dual 8 core processor system. Because you know Apple wont update the Mac Pro twice in a 3 to 4 month span.

We won't see those 8 cores on a die for a while yet. Apple must remain competitive.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma

Apple will wait until the octo they want is ready. I assume they will offer it as the top of the line.

They wont use 2 processors as Dell does on the 690 in order to reach the 8 cores. Since Apple managed to offer a better design in order to give more space to HHD and the memory raiser cards they wont go back and redesign its tower. They will just wait for the Octo they think its the rigth choice.

And just when do you expect this "rigth choice" to become available, looking at Intel's roadmaps, of course?
  • Reply 35 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulyssespdx

you guys understand the incestuous relationship between software and hardware manufacturers, right? that software is made to use up whatever hardware is available - faster hardware is made--et cetera et cetera?

that you can do just as much work with Mac OS 8.5, 256mb of RAM and an old copy of Word as you can with Mac OS 10.5, 2Gb of RAM and Word 2004?

You have a bit of a point, but like hell would I use a Mac OS that's pre-X. If someone can put up with still using it, more power to them. In that vein, there was a word processor for Windows 3.1 that suited my needs better than just about anything made since, but I don't think anyone would stick to the old system.

I really don't want to hear about some lame duopoly conspiracy hypotheses.

One thing you seem to ignore is that web standards change a lot, so you would need to upgrade your web programs about every year.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    I believe the quad-core chips Intel is about to release is pin compatible with the dual-core chips that are in the Mac Pro so there is no reason why Apple could not add quad-core chips to the ala-carte list of options. The problem with the quad-core chips the Mac Pro could get is all the cores will share one connection to the chipset which creates a bottleneck.

Tigerton, on the other hand, will allow each core to have it's own connection to the chipset so it will not have that bottleneck, but it will require a new motherboard design which means Apple will have to make a decision. Either continue to sell the Quad Mac Pro in addition to the Octo Mac Pro so they get sales from people that will pay/can afford a Quad Mac Pro, but not an Octo Mac Pro, or go all Octo and hope sales are high enough to offset any lost sales from people who won't pay/can't afford an Octo Mac Pro.

If I was going to buy a Mac Pro I would get the 3.0 GHz Quad now and wait for Tigerton before getting an Octo.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon.

If you're talking about 'Word'? I couldn't argue...

But for stuff like 3D...

Lemon Bon Bon

Or video, me I use Final Cut Express. Faster is better
  • Reply 38 of 56
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

beating longtime-rival Apple Computer whose Mac Pro professional desktops

I didn't know that Apple was a rival of Dell?!

From what I have seen, the two companies have very few customers who would x-shop them.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

I believe the quad-core chips Intel is about to release is pin compatible with the dual-core chips that are in the Mac Pro so there is no reason why Apple could not add quad-core chips to the ala-carte list of options. The problem with the quad-core chips the Mac Pro could get is all the cores will share one connection to the chipset which creates a bottleneck.

Tigerton, on the other hand, will allow each core to have it's own connection to the chipset so it will not have that bottleneck, but it will require a new motherboard design which means Apple will have to make a decision. Either continue to sell the Quad Mac Pro in addition to the Octo Mac Pro so they get sales from people that will pay/can afford a Quad Mac Pro, but not an Octo Mac Pro, or go all Octo and hope sales are high enough to offset any lost sales from people who won't pay/can't afford an Octo Mac Pro.

If I was going to buy a Mac Pro I would get the 3.0 GHz Quad now and wait for Tigerton before getting an Octo.

We've known this for a while. Anand did a piece on it a while ago.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=3
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

I didn't know that Apple was a rival of Dell?!

From what I have seen, the two companies have very few customers who would x-shop them.

They are rivals in the PS and video editing areas.

A couple of years ago Jobs said that he winced every time he wrote a check out to Dell for Pixar.

Maybe now they have been switching to Macs.