Apple exec: 'Tremendous' interest in new iPod shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer is seeing intense interest in its new iPod shuffle digital music player which went on sale last friday, according to the company's head of worldwide product marketing.

The "response to it has been tremendous," said Apple's Phil Schiller in a telephone interview with Reuters on Wednesday. He added that the "early response and reviews have been phenomenal."

Schiller went on to say that Apple is "really excited" about the upcoming holiday sales period, which heats up in just a little over two weeks.

Indeed, analysts have speculating that the new iPod shuffle could emerge as the dark horse of the company's entire digital music player line, outselling all other models on its way to boosting overall iPod shipments to a new quarterly high for the three-month period ending December.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company sold over 14 million iPods during the same period last year, a benchmark it has yet to best. But the majority of analysts who provide coverage of Apple expect the company will finally outdo itself this holiday season, with projections on iPod shipments ranging from 14 to 20 million for the quarter.

The new iPod shuffle, which retails for $79, includes a built-in clip and 1GB of storage capacity, capable of storing up to 240 songs. It also features a new anodized aluminum enclosure that weighs about half an ounce and is less than half the size of its predecessor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    What's he supposed to say? "Sales are sucking on the new shuffle. Oh, well. When's lunch?"

I like my new shuffle just fine, but the biggest drawback for me is the headphone jack placement. Doesn't work well when I clip the shuffle to my shirt collar or sleeve. I'll try clipping to my watchband today...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    It's one thing to ship more iPods this quarter, but if they are all shuffles being stuffed in stockings, I don't think Apple's going to be happy since I would guess that their margins are lower on the shuffle than on the nano (which was last years stocking-stuffer).

Edit: though I guess this gets more users in the door -- and hopefully having a great user experience with shuffle + iTunes -- my 1stGen shuffle is still great, though. Hopefully Apple can find a way to get the USB port back on the shuffle before this one dies on me ~crossing fingers~
  • Reply 3 of 20
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

What's he supposed to say? "Sales are sucking on the new shuffle. Oh, well. When's lunch?"

I like my new shuffle just fine, but the biggest drawback for me is the headphone jack placement. Doesn't work well when I clip the shuffle to my shirt collar or sleeve. I'll try clipping to my watchband today...

great for clipping to a hat.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer is seeing intense interest in its new iPod shuffle digital music player which went on sale last friday, according to the company's head of worldwide product marketing.…]

Pet Rock

Cabbage Patch Doll

Power Rangers

Furby

Santa just entered the digital age.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

Pet Rock

Cabbage Patch Doll

Power Rangers

Furby

Santa just entered the digital age.

Uhh..where were you for the past 20 years?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

great for clipping to a hat.

No! - your ears, clip it to your ears!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Maybe I could clip in to my mobile phone?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Update: OK the new shuffle sucks, but I'm still keeping it. I'll explain...

The good- It's small and light. This is the main reason why I'll keep it.

The bad- The clip is not very strong (the spring could have been better) and if you're trying to clip it to a belt or shirt it is inadequate. As a clip it is waaaaay too shallow to provide a decent amount of interior surface. It should probably have been made at least another .25" to .5" deeper. Dumb design decision that I hope Jonathan Ive had nothing to do with...

The ugly- The dual purpose power connection/earplug hole. Because of this idiotic orientation, when it's clipped to my shirt, the orientation of the clickwheel makes less sense for control and the headphone line is too long for use as a "top of the shirt clip" and too short to be useful as a "belt/bottom of the shirt/watchband" clip. Consequently, I have to bunch up and place a piece of white masking tape on the goddamned headphone line and clip it at a horrendous angle on the top of my shirt for running. Shit.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    damnit, this sucks.

the new shuffle should have been the old shuffle only 1/3 of its size. no clip, no nothing, just the usb connector. make it look like a mini usb drive.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

damnit, this sucks.

the new shuffle should have been the old shuffle only 1/3 of its size. no clip, no nothing, just the usb connector. make it look like a mini usb drive.

If you want a USB drive then buy one, or buy a refurbished 1G Shuffle. Personally I like the New shuffle very much, it's way cool! Possibly my favorite iPod to date.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman

Uhh..where were you for the past 20 years?

And just what the hell does that mean?

Are you suggesting that there has already been a digital phenomenon that has matched the Pet Rock craze of the 70's. Or any of the smaller crazes as listed in the years that followed.

Sure there has been blips of sorts, but not the expansiveness of the Pet Rock. It crossed all barriers, old-young, male-female, rich-poor. Parents gave it to their kids and their parents. Kids gave it to their brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents…. Husband gave it to wives, Wives gave it to their husbands and their husbandss girl friends. Many got more than one from Santa that first Christmas. In other words, it was for everybody.

As for the Shuffle, it is the first truly digital apparatus that falls anywhere near the $4 Pet Rock or the $32 Cabbage Patch Doll during that craze. True it won't hit the heights of the Rock, but at the price and size, the Shuffle has the potential to be a novelty that is suited for more people and thus stuffed in more stockings and stuck under more trees that Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox and the likes put together.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    god, the Pet Rock faze is almost an embarrassment to the human race haha.

Tickle Me Elmo was another toy that should be added to the list.

Check out the NEW 2006 version of Tickle Me Elmo

its much more advanced haha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4x-VW_rCSE
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

If you want a USB drive then buy one, or buy a refurbished 1G Shuffle. Personally I like the New shuffle very much, it's way cool! Possibly my favorite iPod to date.

I'm also loving my new shuffle. Great for running or while I'm on the ergometer.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I love my new shuffle as well. It's simple and does the job. My only problem is forgetting I have it on or thinking that I may have lost it, since its so light. I plan on purchasing the 30gig for Xmas.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    when will apple release colored shuffles?? imagine the shuffle craze that'd create.

meanwhile, my cousin went to best buy and saw the new shuffle (they weren't even on the shelves yet, she saw one hanging on a display fixture) and fell in love with it and bought it thinking it'd sell out because of the holidays... she's quite happy with it and i too think it's cute...

now if apple ships colored shuffles my two little cousins (her kids) can get a pink and a blue one for xtimas...

• Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay

when will apple release colored shuffles?? imagine the shuffle craze that'd create.

meanwhile, my cousin went to best buy and saw the new shuffle (they weren't even on the shelves yet, she saw one hanging on a display fixture) and fell in love with it and bought it thinking it'd sell out because of the holidays... she's quite happy with it and i too think it's cute...

now if apple ships colored shuffles my two little cousins (her kids) can get a pink and a blue one for xtimas...

Color shuffles would be a great idea. Are you listening, Steve? Oh, and while you're at it, fix the clip...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    ^^^don't see why not since now they use the same material the color nanos do... wouldn't thatmake it easy? maybe they are planning on doing it later?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    1.5 months to Xmas!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

i have both (usb drives and 1st gen ipod shuffle)

but i wouldn't have minded at all if apple took the same 1st gen ipod shuffle, cut off 2/3 of it, and kept the usb connector. that would have made it killer for me.

i am not too excited about the 2nd gen ipod shuffle after learning how the clip is fragile. i may wait a while to see what others say, or until apple reinforces it. if at all.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    8) I really like the new 2nd gen ipod shuffle, this is an additional ipod for me to use when I need to travel even lighter. Here's what I think about it...

1) Small size for workouts is perfect, i.e. walking & running.

2) The clip is very practical and sturdy. I've cliped mine to my shirt while walking and no problems. I've cliped it to my lanyard that came with my Sony Ericsson BT earpiece and it stays in place all day while working in a maintenance shop.

3) The aluminum casing is superior to the plastic and chrome casing of the larger ipod-so no worry for fingerprint smudges or scratches.

4) Best of all is just so cool, it's like wearing a piece of jewelery that gets major attention, I've had so many people ask me 'Is it really an ipod?' or say 'I want one too, it's just so cool!'.