Apple updates MacBook line with Core 2 Duo processors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir

That depends, if they said 1.0" thin, they would be incorrect. It is not forbidden to simply round to one significant digit.

See, if you bought plywood, and they were offered in two different specifications, one 1" thick, the other 2" thick, could you complain if the first turned out to be 1.08" thick.

Calling the MacBook 1" thin is a bit disingenuous, but it is not incorrect, and does not constitute lying.

Like mgkwho, I too saw the reference to the MacBook as 1" thin. Actually, I could have sworn that it was posted on the Macbook main page as "one inch thin" and subsequent checking out the Tech Specs, it was listed as 1.0" under Height and 2.59 cm.

However, since then, the only reference that shows such a measurement is either the MacBook Pro or this MacInsider editorial which states, "At just one-inch thin, the new MacBooks…" right at the beginning of this article.

Re, "See, if you bought plywood, and they were offered in two different specifications, one 1" thick, the other 2" thick, could you complain if the first turned out to be 1.08" thick." However, if the plywood measured out at 1.019" it would not be wrong to say that it was 1.0" inches thick.

As for you comment that calling the MacBook 1" thin is a bit disingenuous," this whole discussion started because of inference that Apple was lying and was perpetrated further by criticizing the use of terms 'thin' vs thick. But having said that, I would be hard pressed to tell my aunt that she was being disingenuous when she says that she is 180 lbs light or my gran who say she is 85 years young. In both cases, I would be absolutely wrong. Even though the two old biddies are outright lying.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    Hey it's wednesday.

Does that mean the weekly monday night rumors of "new shit tomorrow" will stop, or will they now happen twice a week?
  • Reply 83 of 111
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Calling the MacBook 1" thin is a bit disingenuous, but it is not incorrect, and does not constitute lying.

You have not understood correctly the sentence of mine that you quoted.

I was saying that I thought the contention that 'Apple state that the MacBook is 1" thin' is erroneous. I believe that they don't.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    tvortvor Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Generally speaking, if you can foot the bill for the MacBook Pro, do it. You certainly get what you pay for, if not more. The integrated graphics aren't really that bad unless you are playing the latest action games. Mac OS X uses a lot of GPU power to do the screen drawing, so if Apple is willing to ship a product with integrated graphics, it means that integrated graphics are adequate for drawing all the graphics in the mac GUI and for apps like iPhoto. Probably also fine for Civ 4, although I've never played Civ 4 so I can't say.

Until today, the MBP was a better deal since for $2k you'd get 15.4" screen, more RAM, 2-layer DVD-R, bigger HD, sweet graphics board. The MacBook Core Duo would cost ~$1500 for the same basic specs minus the screen and the graphics board and the Core 2 (although I don't think there was a 2-layer DVD-R even available) Now, you can get a MacBook with all the same stuff as the $2000 MBP, aside from screen and graphics, for $1300.

Thanks for the advice - I'm leaning toward the MB I think.
  • Reply 85 of 111
    I'm getting one! The 2.0 white model's improvements just sold me. Dual layer DVD-RW, 1GB ram, 80GB storage.. DEAL!

Too bad its still integrated graphics card though..
  • Reply 86 of 111
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    OK, I edited my posts so people stop whining.

Geez, the intentions certainly were not to make this thread into a cry fest.

I'd apologize if I did anything wrong.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    Considering the new MacBooks arrival, I have decided to take the leap into the Apple world. My friend works at the Apple store which means I gain a 25% discount off the RRP. Is this a good deal? Can you get a new Apple elsewhere for a cheaper price....? Sorry to disturb this forum however I received no responses in the general discussion forum. Cheers J
  • Reply 88 of 111
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by japan_01

Considering the new MacBooks arrival, I have decided to take the leap into the Apple world. My friend works at the Apple store which means I gain a 25% discount off the RRP. Is this a good deal? Can you get a new Apple elsewhere for a cheaper price....? Sorry to disturb this forum however I received no responses in the general discussion forum. Cheers J

You're generally not going to find Apple hardware on sale anywhere. Some places throw in bundles (printer, software, etc.) but Apple's pretty strict on how stores price their machines. The only real discounts are for education (teachers/staff/students), businesses and employees.

Just have your friend buy the machine for you and pay 'em. Cheapest way you're going to get a new Mac.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Although a nice upgrade, I still don't understand Apple UK store customize pricing structure.

13 inch white 2.0 GHz stock, ADD...

1GB more RAM* = GBP£120 (US$229) at current exchange rates.

40GB extra HDD storage space** = GBP£100 (US$190) at current exchange rates.

*2X 1GB SO-DIMMS in place of 2X 512MB SO-DIMMS

**120GB Serial ATA (5400rpm) drive in place of 80GB Serial ATA (5400rpm) drive

Seems a bit pricey.

Remember, these unit upgrades are 'in place of' standard stock spec and not a 'replacement' unit.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Yeah seems like a really good deal to me. Your friend gonna hook me up with the discount too or what?8)
  • Reply 91 of 111
    Quote:

My bro works at an Apple store, and is going to give me the same excellent 25% discount you speak of. Love the Apple store! Can't wait to get my hands on this new MacBook. My 1st Mac evar thanks to his emphatic remarks about OS X.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That depends, if they said 1.0" thin, they would be incorrect. It is not forbidden to simply round to one significant digit.

See, if you bought plywood, and they were offered in two different specifications, one 1" thick, the other 2" thick, could you complain if the first turned out to be 1.08" thick.

Plywood is a bad example.

As a woodworker, I can say that I would be really pissed if it turned out to be 1.08" thick.

Our cutting tools rely on a stable thickness. Either a router bit is 3/4" or 1". There are metric sizes, for which finally, a couple of years, ago we have gotten metric bits for.

Why anyone should care if a computer is 1" or 1.08" is beyond me, though.
  • Reply 93 of 111
    Thanks Kesh! Greatly appreciated... As for Kezelk4, I live in Japan. I don't suppose you live in Japan... I also have another question which will seem a little dumb. I don't understand the whole Hardrive 80GB and 1gb Memory thing. What is the difference? Where is the memory stored? How will my computer see a difference from 1gb to 2gb and 80gb to 120gb? Will it slow down? Thanks in advance...
  • Reply 94 of 111
    On your computer, there are two main components (there are others but let's not worry about that) that have memory: the RAM annd the hard drive.

RAM (random access memory) is what the computer uses for thinking: when you open an application, it is stored and run in RAM, along with your operation system. This is usually a fairly small number (512MB, 1GB, 2GB). The more RAM you have, the more room things have for working in, to a point, and yes, that will help things work faster, depending on what you do. If you plan to use big apps and or have several things going at one time, it might be good to have quite a bit of RAM, but it can get very expensive real quick. For simple tasks, 512 is probably enough. 1GB works great for most people (some of the geeks here on AI often have more, but we are geeks).

The hard disk is where you store all your stuff. If you have a lot of stuff, you need a larger disk. Files from word-processing and stff like that don't usually take up a lot of space. Photos take up a bit, and video eats space for lunch. However, there is a balance and trade-off in disk size, heat and battery power. Bigger disks store more, but eat more battery power and create more heat.

In short, the 2.0 white machine ($1299) looks like a real deal, unless you liike black and want to give Apple 200 bucks for the privilege.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    In Japan, Macs are the same price where-ever you buy them (except maybe deep in Akihabara), unless you are lucky enough to work for Apple.

By the way, welcome to AI, and Japan!
  • Reply 96 of 111
    difference between white and black is only $50. Definitely a good move. If I were in the market for a new notebook I would definitely get the black now. When it was $150 just for the black, I never would have.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    Are we looking at the same price list?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...D&nclm=MacBook

1299 and 1499, but the black does have a larger HD
  • Reply 98 of 111
    Thanks heaps everyone... you have been a great help. I think I have decided on the 2.0GHZ White one. You can always upgrade later, right? However, I will just be doing university word documents so the need shouldn't arise unless I become an Apple adict (I'm actually scared of this real possibility). I don't know why but every 'switcher' (PC --> Mac) I talk to seems to never get off the machine. Once again, the help is really appreciated. I'm ready to hit that Nagoya Apple store and act like I know what I'm talking about! "I want the 1gb, 2.0GHZ, 80gb white baby please"
  • Reply 99 of 111
    Welcome to Mac - you'll never look back.

Don't know how long you've been here in Japan nor how long you plan on staying, but you might want to use your new Mac to put together some treats for the folks back home (unless they are all with you here): a homepage, photo albums, a movie or two or even a full DVD. Get a good camera and take photos wherever you go. They are a big hit back home.

The MacBook comes with demo versions of iWork (Pages: Apple's wordprocessor, and Keynote: a presentaton app) and Microsoft Office. iWork will likely do you fine and will work just like all your other Apple apps (it is linked to iLife apps) and will not cost you much. You have to buy one or the other or you won't have a word-processor to use for all of those earth-shattering essays you'll be writing from now on.

Search the old threads on AI for some ideas on apps for college students, as this has been discussed before.
  • Reply 100 of 111
    I noticed on the future hardware forum that Apple will release it's LEOPARD in Jan 2007. I will be leaving Japan on January 26, 2007. I don't NEED the laptop which means I can wait. Is there any chance that LEOPARD will be available by that time? Would it be worthwhile waiting until 07 to purchase a laptop which has LEOPARD instead of TIGER?