Underclocking the MBP C2D CPU?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello folks,

I am a soon-to-be-mac-user (will get my MBP C2D 15" any day now), that has been lurking around this forum for a few months. Time to write my first post

Being completely new to the world of Macs (having been a PC-user only for many years) I have a question about the CPU. Is it possible to manually underclock it (by means of an app or similar) and thereby lowering the temperature and increasing battery life time at the expense of performance? I have tried getting information about this but not succeeded yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaboong

Hello folks,

Hi. Welcome to AppleInsider.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaboong

Is it possible to manually underclock it (by means of an app or similar) and thereby lowering the temperature and increasing battery life time at the expense of performance? I have tried getting information about this but not succeeded yet.

As far as I am aware, no. It may just about be possible with Apple's "CHUD" tools, which are part of the developer tools which are shipped (but not installed by default) with all Apple machines.

The OS dynamically alters the clock speed of the CPU to try and deliver the longest battery life and reduce heat.

Lowering the screen backlight to the lowest setting you can work with will deliver surprising increases in battery life.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

As far as I am aware, no. It may just about be possible with Apple's "CHUD" tools, which are part of the developer tools which are shipped (but not installed by default) with all Apple machines.

Ahh, developer tools. Cool, I'll definitely want to install them. I am going to check that out, when I get my machine. Shipped from Taiwan yesterday, but they expect more than 10 days delivery time. Can't understad what is taking so long - but let's hope it is worth the wait!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Apple should be using SpeedStep automatically, but if they aren't you can try CoolBook. It's not clear how much benefit you'd get, since the processor automatically clocks down when it's idle (C1E).

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Thanks for the link wmf