1.83 duo w/2GBs ram vs. Macbook 2.0 due 2 w/1GB for 2D design

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've decided to go macbook after gettign fed up with the screen quality on my IBM Thinkpad x31.

I'd like to spend no more than $1200 plus tax, and I'm a student. I do not game, but do lots of work in InDesign and Photoshop. At least initially I will be using Windows XP because I can't justify buying all my software all over again.

So here's what I'm looking at:

1) A refurbished Macbook 1.83 duo for $899 from apple with 1/2 GB ram = $1049/1199

2) A new Macbook 1.83 duo 2 with 1GB ram for $1,117.00

3) A new Macbook 2.0 due 2 for $1,199.00.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the first option. I don't need DVD burning for anything I do, so why pay for it?

When I need it, I plan on trading out the 5400 rpm hdd for a larger 7200rpm model, so again, why pay for a hdd upgrade I don't especially want.

I'd like to buy Macbook 2.0 due 2 with a 60gb hdd and combo drive for less money, but apple isn't giving us that option...

The two key questions seem to be:

1) For graphic design work, given the lack of dedicated graphics card, what will give me more speed: a 2.0 duo 2 with 1gb ram, or a 1.83 duo with 2gbs?

2) What the difference between a 2.0 duo 2 and 1.83 duo 2 ? Is there really a difference in speed I should care enough about to spend an extra $100 now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    To tell you the truth, I wouldn't recommend any of these. CS2 is still a PPC app, and in InDesign especially you need a lot of screen.

Will an iMac work?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I feel claustrophobic working with multiple (sluggish) documents in Word on my MacBook Pro.

You really need an external monitor.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    maybe you're right.

By PPC you mean PowerPC I think, and the are talking about the fact that adobe products haven't yet be rewritten to work at 100% on Intel-based Macs.

If that's the case, then not a problem for me. As I already own the windows versions of the software I need I'm planning on buying a Macbook purely for the hardware and using Windows XP with the thought that I may make the switch to OSX later. I know this is dumb and all, but I just can't even to begin justifying the expense of new software purchases.

Yes, more pixels would be nice, and I like your suggestion of an iMac, but I'm looking to spend less money and buy one computer, and because I need a notebook for work (part of what I do is outdoors) a macbook seems like a good compromise.

In an ideal world I would buy the mythical 12-inch Macbook Pro, but the 15-inch just costs too much and is really too big.

But you seem clearly to be a designer, so what's your take on the options I do have?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    and Shawn, I'm sure your right about the external monitor. That's going to happen next year when I get a real job.

And being that MB puts out 1920 by 1200 to an external monitor, I think I'd be very happy in the future with a 20/23" cinema display.