Originally Posted by hugodrax

They should make Christopher Walken the mac guy

or he should just start dancing and flying like on the fatboy slim(?) video
  • Reply 42 of 84
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

or he should just start dancing and flying like on the fatboy slim(?) video

That was so awesome. ...Fatboy Slim: Weapon of Choice was the song, IIRC.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Ironic for me that it happens on the day I bought www.HelloImAMac.com. My goal is to set it up to host all of Apple's old commercials and ads, a tribute to Apple's marketing machine.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax

They should make Christopher Walken the mac guy

I think Chris would work, James Woods ( Shark ) a better choice. I always liked this ad, especially the pc guy crashing and falling over backwards.

Ain't it the truth ???
  • Reply 45 of 84
    The Mac Guy wasn't very funny, but he's not supposed to be. He's the Straight Man. His job is mostly to make the PC Guy look funny.

I don't think Apple will bring in a new Mac Guy or Girl now. What's the point? They will just focus on some more antics from the PC Guy, and then probably have a completely new campaign next year. If this campaign is supposed to stick around until the time Leopard is released, we might be in for bigger surprises, but I don't think it's likely.

I really liked the campaign, because it was funny, and I don't remember any Apple campaign before that which was funny.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    They wanted to show the Mac as a friendly guy living in a cool world and instead showed a snotty Mac looking at a poor PC struggling with its shortcomings. That's why the PC attracts sympathy from people, even those who then go to buy a Mac…

When people are bashing someone they make him friendly, whatevers his wrongdoings. Advertisers should know that : B. Serlet critics about Redmond copying of OS X were based upond real examples but nonetheless lame and aggressive for this reason.

So, now that PC is friendly, Apple should make him a Mac trying to help his fromer brethen or keep him a PC who successed in seducing a cute Mac (girl) who patiently and kindly try to help him overcome his shortcomings and be efficient. It is much better if Apple can play fair by underlying PC real qualities (PCs and Macs work often together, PCs have critical tasks to uphold, PCs are cheap and, thus, attracts first time users, PCs are bug ridden but try to be better, PCs sometimes run Linux). Etc.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dean812

Everyone whos seen these commercials wants to squish the Mac guy under a bus? Says who? Who is being brave enough to speak for the whole world? I'll tell ya what, Ill speak for me, mmmkay? I loved the Mac guy. I think if you think hes annoying, youre one of two things; 1.) a PC user, who hates Macs, or 2.) Just not bright enough to get the commercials message.

I say bring the Mac guy back, hes awesome in those commericals.

Oh the irony. You dismiss one blanket statement with another. I thought he was a bit smug myself. But then again, I find that most computer or IT ads are smug and annoying. I especially hate the IBM, Microsoft and Apple ads. The iPod ones are really stupid and make me feel slightly embarrassed for owning one.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    YouTube is awesome, and there are a lot of creative idea's coming out of it. There is also a lot of crap... but definitely some great stuff. If you don't have a sense of humor, then keep it to yourself... cuz the rest of us with one will just laugh at you.

The I'm a Mac, I'm a PC thing was quite clever. I'm surprised at some of the posters here who just want a commercial on tv that lists spec's, shows the product and the price. Booooring.

I'm sure the next commercials will be nothing like these ones... it's time for something completely different.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    The problem is not with the Mac guy character, it is with the PC guy. As many stated, the PC guy is too nice. They need to make him more unlikable so that you don't sympathize with him. The idea of the campaign is to convince us that the mac is friendlier, easier to get along with and that the pc is frustrating if not evil.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    I have a friend here in London who auditioned for the role of Mac Guy last month. He's British. Maybe they'll just re-cast it, unless they're planning British versions of the adverts...
  • Reply 51 of 84
    If anything, those white backgrounds don't do much to convey a message about which computer is better in the things it does. All they do is have you judge the actors based on their skills in performing.

If they had Mr PC driving a car and constantly getting into accidents, then Mr Mac takes the wheel and there is no more trouble, that might demonstrate something as better.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    what about a more direct approach? "Hello, i use a mac" "and i(m) (ab)use(ed by) a PC"?
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas

The PC guy is really nice. It's like you wanna help him, and take care of him. He's cute. In my part of the world that kind of a guy that the Mac guy is, is pretty lame and doesn't work. Maybe it works in the states... I dunno. I never liked the idea behind the whole campaign, but I liked the PC guy

I hope they come up with something better next time, and not like a super proud, stylized movie star model trying to act humble but really isn't. Instead they would be cooler off with something more down to earth, and not try to look so upper class all the time.

"Movie star?!" The guys been in like 2 movies, and was a supporting, supporting, role. I think the guy is very liikeable and the way I get the commercial is that the PC guy is clueless and out of it. Thats how I think anyway and yes Im an American. Rich, cocky and in your face. So maybe we are coming from different camps.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gremlin

what about a more direct approach? "Hello, i use a mac" "and i(m) (ab)use(ed by) a PC"?

ROFL, I love it. And so true.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    All this PC bashing is rather funny considering that PC hardware is just as good, in some cases better, and more cutting edge than the hardware used in a Mac. What you are bashing is M$ not the PC.

\tNow for the fanboys who bash the PC without every researching what a PC actually contains:

\t“Hello I'm PC”, says the PC guy as he's shining and smiling.

\t“Hi I'm Mac”, says the sleek young guy looking confused by PC.

\t“What are you holding?”, ask Mac

\t“Oh these....it's my new Nforce 5 SLI motherboard, 2 x Nforce 8800 GTS cards, and my DVD-R that has lightscribe.” answers PC.

\t“Ummm”, says Mac

\t“Why did you say umm? Don't you have access to this wonderful cutting edge tech that keeps innovation and research growing forcing prices down and tech up?”, ask PC.

*PS I like the Imac btw......but I'm honest about this subject.

\t“Umm...I have...OSX....umm....what is lightscribe....what is Nforce?”, answers Mac.

\tThe PC guy shakes his head and walks off stage!

\tHere is another one for you fanboys who bash the PC:

\tThe sleek Mac guy has his back turned to the screen as PC enters the set.

\t“What's wrong Mac?” asked the PC

\t“Well I'm Imac and I seem to be having a slight problem”.

\tThen Mac turns around to show his black eye!

\t“Oh that look like it hurts”, says PC.

\t“Yep. I have some dead pixels and my monitor has went bad”, says Imac.

\t“What are you going to do? Replace your monitor?” asks PC.

\t“Well I can't because it's built into me. I'll need surgery from the Apple Hospital. It's going to be costly”, answers Imac.

\t“Gee, if my glasses go bad I just go out and buy a new pair and I'm fine. It's easy and I have many to chose from,” answers PC.

\t“Umm...I can't do that because I'm a sleek looking Imac”

\tPC looks confused at Imac and wages his head....leaves the stage laughing.

I'm sure all you fanboys don't want to touch this one! LOL!!!! Before you bash PC you might should do a little reading.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

What they should do is have Colbert as the PC guy and have Stewart as the Mac guy. At least for one tv spot.

Now that's the best idea ever lol.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Or Carell and Colbert:

PC!

MAC!

PC!

MAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAC!
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Wow, I'm gonna take this one up for the "team". Yeah, I'm a Mac fanboy. NOT. Let's dissect your argument.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mkane

“What are you holding?”, ask Mac

“Oh these....it's my new Nforce 5 SLI motherboard, 2 x Nforce 8800 GTS cards, and my DVD-R that has lightscribe.” answers PC.

Yes, because nForce5 SLI and 2x nForce 8800 makes you more productive at work and helps you create better stuff easily. What's that? Your SLI 8800 takes 600-800Watts at the wall socket and generates enough heat to warm up your whole room in winter? And you have six or more fans (including GPU fans) in the PC in summer running full blast? *rolleyes #1*

Quote:

“Why did you say umm? Don't you have access to this wonderful cutting edge tech that keeps innovation and research growing forcing prices down and tech up?”, ask PC.

“Umm...I have...OSX....umm....what is lightscribe....what is Nforce?”, answers Mac.

Yes because nForce is the only motherboard chipset that is needed. Oh, maybe, say, INTEL, makes motherboard chipsets too? That happens to be in a lot of PCs and all Macs? Hmmm... cutting edge tech? Yeah, almost all Macs have Intel Core2Duo so I guess that's last year's news, isn't it. Yes, research is stunted at Apple, 65nm fab technology is as old as VHS tapes. Oh, and 45nm Intel research has been cancelled since Apple doesn't like the latest technology and research... You may have a point about LightScribe but that's just a cheap gimmick. I'd rather have printable photo-quality stick-on labels than LightScribe. *rolleyes #2*

Quote:

The sleek Mac guy has his back turned to the screen as PC enters the set...

“Yep. I have some dead pixels and my monitor has went bad”, says Imac.

“What are you going to do? Replace your monitor?” asks PC.

Yes because PC monitors don't have dead pixels at all.

Quote:

“Well I can't because it's built into me. I'll need surgery from the Apple Hospital. It's going to be costly”, answers Imac.

Yes, opening up an iMac and replacing the panel is so painful and the Apple Hospital is an evil place that shoves big ass needles up your ass.

Quote:

“Gee, if my glasses go bad I just go out and buy a new pair and I'm fine. It's easy and I have many to chose from,” answers PC.

“Umm...I can't do that because I'm a sleek looking Imac”

PC looks confused at Imac and wages his head....leaves the stage laughing.

Yes, PC laptops, Mac laptops. Hmmm.... same challenges with dead pixel policies and panel replacement. Hmmm.. Mac mini, Mac Pro ... Oh, I wonder if it works with *any* DVI or even VGA monitor... Oh, it does...!! Taking just the iMac and bashing it does not make sense.

PC guy walks in with all sorts of wires around him.

Mac guy: "Wow, you seem a bit tangled up, PC"

PC guy: "Yeah, I have my monitor with a separate power cable, then that's attached to my PC, which has another power cable, and..."

Mac guy: "Hmm, I'm an iMac and everything's just here, ready to go..."

[The ad director jumps in and yells at PC and Mac guy]: "Hey, quickly, we gotta go the next set, you're on the wrong set and the Chanel no.5 ad team are coming in 5 seconds and they're very annoyed....!!"

PC guy drags himself slowly off camera, trips over the cables wrapped all around him...

Mac guy just easily walks of stage.

With the iMac and the LCD, it's a desktop replacement - mobile enough to easily move from one place to another, while being useful and powerful enough with a big enough screen for a lot of needs. LCD Panel replacement is generally covered by the 1 year or 3 year warranty, and dead pixel policies similar to "PC LCDs", PC laptops, LCD TVs... Repair times at the "Apple Hospital" are generally not significantly longer than PC laptop panel replacements. *Rolleyes #3*

Quote:

I'm sure all you fanboys don't want to touch this one! LOL!!!! Before you bash PC you might should do a little reading.

I use PCs and Macs. I built my own AMD64 rig and follow PC hardware news. I've advocated nVidia gear I do like such as 7900GS. But I do like Macs as well and overall, you have just mentioned SpecWhore stuff and mentioned nothing about productivity, viruses, ease-of-use, and driver challenges.

For the record when the first Mac/PC ads came out I was not impressed and I do think they're a bit off-topic and out-of-whack but they do build brand awareness and are a fresh approach to IT/consumerIT marketing.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    mkanemkane Posts: 41member
    I just love dishonest Mac fanboys! They just can't handle the truth!

You bash PC's all day but when it's reversed you ignore and cry! LOL!!!

Seems I hit a nerve.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:

I just love dishonest Mac fanboys! They just can't handle the truth!

You bash PC's all day but when it's reversed you ignore and cry! LOL!!!

Seems I hit a nerve.

I'm sorry, it appears you're the one that seems to be the fanboy. I'm not ignoring anything and crying. If you read my previous posts in various threads you would see it. I'm not biting on anymore of your useless baiting, do read my informed response above. And for the last time to tell you, I like PCs and Macs. My nerves are fine.