Macbook Pro vs. Macbook (for a law student)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm attending law school for the upcoming fall semester and therefore need to buy a new laptop. I've decided to go with an Apple because I'm sick of PCs but can't decide between a Macbook Pro or a Macbook. A big factor for me is portability, since I will have to commute 20-25 minutes to campus each day, however I've noticed the Macbook Pro is only .2 pounds heavier than the Macbook (5.5 compared to 5.3). I'd really appreciate anyone's insight given my situation when comparing these two computers. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    If money isn't an issue, get the pro machine. The video card alone will make it worthwhile years down the road.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm not a lawyer or especially familar with law school but would guess that you need a good wood processing machine and internet access for research. I would think that the MB would work well. Having said that , I just got the new MBP and it is exceptional in every respect. You will not be disappointed with that computer. It's only fault is that it isn't cheap. I think it may come down to money. How much are you looking to spend?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Well money is somewhat of an issue. I'd like to spend in the ballpark of $1500. So I guess that makes the macbook more reasonable. However, what's all this talk about future ultra-portable macs coming out?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdphc8

Well money is somewhat of an issue. I'd like to spend in the ballpark of $1500. So I guess that makes the macbook more reasonable. However, what's all this talk about future ultra-portable macs coming out?

The ultra portable is vapor ware as of now. Personally I think an iphone will be released before this. You could also consider a refurbished MBP with a core duo chip. They selling for under $1500 at the Apple store. Check it out. I'm a bit partial to the MBP since I just got one. I would lean towards a refurb MBP with core duo but it's a close call as the new MBs offer quite a lot for the money. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    For law school the MacBook intel will do very well. You don't need the Pro!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    $1500 will get you a sweet refurbished MBP. The MacBook will be in new condition, and all of the accessories will be brand new. The full warranty still applies.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdphc8

I'm attending law school for the upcoming fall semester and therefore need to buy a new laptop. I've decided to go with an Apple because I'm sick of PCs but can't decide between a Macbook Pro or a Macbook. A big factor for me is portability, since I will have to commute 20-25 minutes to campus each day, however I've noticed the Macbook Pro is only .2 pounds heavier than the Macbook (5.5 compared to 5.3). I'd really appreciate anyone's insight given my situation when comparing these two computers. Thanks!

For normal school stuff, you don't need the MBP, the idea for the refurb may be something to explore. The other big question is monitor size. The MB is very portable with its 13" screen, but then again that's a fairly small screen. Perhaps that and then a monitor at home or docking station w/keyboard. The MBP screens are 15" and 17"
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hey man, I think the black macbook would suit your purposes very well.. It's right in your price range, is intimidating, and has a mysterious allure about it. A law student's dream.