MacBook snaps photos inside Apple repair depot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408

In the last picture, you can see what looks like the rumored iPhone, a 16-core MacPro, and a device with both a TiVo and Apple logo on it.

post of the day
  • Reply 22 of 44
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

It seems obvious that this is a great way to help grab the guy that steals your computer. Or catch your mom when she checks your messages.

Could be embarrassing. However, I certainly would use it.

Perhaps someone could post his script.

excellent idea...and i think the script is posted on this guy's flickr site...in one of the bottom comments on the page...he explains how to use it.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92

excellent idea...and i think the script is posted on this guy's flickr site...in one of the bottom comments on the page...he explains how to use it.

Here is the link to the script: http://www.flickr.com/photos/omegast...7594367266566/
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr. X

Here is the link to the script: http://www.flickr.com/photos/omegast...7594367266566/

Thank you
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr. X

that's what I meant...=D
  • Reply 26 of 44
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    The article got it (somewhat) right, but a lot of the replies didn't. These are NOT Apple employees and that is NOT an Apple facility. As they mentioned, it's Flextronics. Apple outsources to them for repairing their machines.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo

The article got it (somewhat) right, but a lot of the replies didn't. These are NOT Apple employees and that is NOT an Apple facility. As they mentioned, it's Flextronics. Apple outsources to them for repairing their machines.

ohhhh

that's where we sent out troubled school ibooks....ahhh that makes sense now.

(now i feel stupid....)
  • Reply 28 of 44
    How would the pictures have been uploaded? Basically, why would the repair depot have an open wireless network with wireless access? (or why would they connect the MacBook to a wired network before waking it up?) Does the automator script store the pictures and then upload them the first chance it gets, or can it only upload the picture right after it was taken?

Also why would the MacBook be opened in front of the rack of other MBs? It looks like it would be hard for a repair technician to see the screen that way...

I guess I'm somewhat skeptical of these pictures, sorry.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Beatson

How would the pictures have been uploaded?

I guess I'm somewhat skeptical of these pictures, sorry.

I think it just takes a picture and stores it. He got the pictures when his macBook came home. No upload necessary.

Skeptical eh? So he bought a warehouse, stocked it up, hired some inmates to stage these pictures? ;-)

Jp
  • Reply 30 of 44
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Clearly this is a very slow news day.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I am definitely doing that when mine goes in for repairs. I may have it snap a picture every second while it is on. This is freakn' awesomely funny...
  • Reply 32 of 44
    No, no you guys got it all wrong. That is not a prisoner....it is Jean Reno from The Professional. He is the new "Mac Guy" for the upcoming commercials.

Kasper...thanks for posting I thought it was a interesting.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    awesome, thanks a lot automator. now we finally know for sure that macbooks aren't fixed by oompa loompas, just jean reno clones with matrix black shades.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The repair site most likely has an open wireless for testing. It saves time not to have to log in while checking a unit. Also the Oompa Loompas have big fingers that are not very effective for working in small places like laptops. You only find them working on the Mac Pro's.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    very exciting........
  • Reply 36 of 44
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I actually think this is really cool, since you always think of your Mac going "out into the magical shipment logistics sphere that fixes your computer" instead of to a repair place. I never really had an idea of what one of those places would look like, I was expecting a smaller office-like environment.

Interested me.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92

who IS Kasper??

Editor in-chief, AppleInsider.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Maybe now Apple will put little shutters on their isight cameras.

I have to say, the photos are a bit useless. The second pic could be of a sandwich trolley.

I think this kind of isight use should be restricted to the purpose of seeing naked women, not unshaven factory workers.

One thing I could see it being useful for is taking a picture of a thief who may have stolen the machine.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    How long would it take an Apple certified tech to notice that the camera light is on?
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

How long would it take an Apple certified tech to notice that the camera light is on?

Probably never, if they all wear those sunglasses. 8)