iPod Shuffle (gen2): bent clip!

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

You're going to sue over a $79 shuffle? Get real. If you hit any electronic device with a hammer, you might as well put the hammer to your head next.

I don't think you got the sarcasm of that post
  • Reply 82 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

I don't think you got the sarcasm of that post

Sorry, I guess you're right... (sheepish grin)
  • Reply 83 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

I'm not sure where you got those figures from but they look wrong to me coming from a bicycle materials background. There's not much difference between 6061-T6 and 7005-T6 for instance, the two most commonly used aluminium alloys used in bicycles which both have around 40-42 kpsi. The choice usually comes down to manufacturing processes and geography rather than a materials choice. USA = 6061, Taiwan = 7005 since 6061 is more labour intensive and requires more post welding work.

There's also some nice 6000 series alloys. For instance 6069 has a 55-71 kpsi yield after T6 and still offers 20-25% elongation as opposed to 10-13% for other aluminiums. It's almost approaching Titanium levels but without the weight penalty.

That'd probably be more apt for Apple here as the clip would have bent and sprung back into shape instead of permanently deforming.

The other nice alloy is 2014-T6 which beats most of the 6 and 7 series alloys but is a bitch to work with. Typically, it's only used for handlebars as making a bike out of it is brutal.

And then there's the Scandium alloys. Mmmm.

Yup. There's much more to it than just material strength and the choice here is obviously manufacturing. There's some some aluminium sausage machine in China squeezing out n shuffles a second out of it's die.

China is almost entirely 7005. I wonder though if Apple heat treats the clip though as there's quite a difference between unheat treated and treated and with some alloys you've also got to age the alloy post processing. ie. it gets stronger if you leave it a month.

A nice steel spring clip perhaps then they could have done away with the hinge entirely though it may not have looked so pretty.

Or people could just be more careful, or is that not so obvious?

I was just throwing out some numbers off the top of my head, based on some work I've done recently, comparing high strength aluminum/titanium/stainless steel/FRP. You can go to the Alcan, Alcoa, or Corus websites for datasheets on aluminum, there are many other databases, MatWeb, military databases for metals/FRP/materials, etcetera. When I stated those numbers I was thinking 6061-T6 for 6000 series, and 7075-T6 for 7000 series, and Kaiser 7068 aluminum currently tops the list at 99 ksi yield, obviously with STA and HT alloy metals there are literally hundreds/thousands of choices for design. BTW, I had to use some 7075-T6 in a recent design.

The friction stir process (or friction stir welding) allows the high strength 7000 series to be used quite effectively in situations where it is normally rivited (e. g. airplanes), since all other welding techniques weaken the material in the weld area and high strength 7000 series can't be welded via the other welding methods due to it's poor weld characteristics via these conventional weld methods, whereas FSW has a softening factor ~1 across the weld (in fatigue design), FSW is also very dimensionally stable (e. g. doesn't warp the material).

BTW, you're elongation numbers seem a bit high? SOP is to take the yield strength divided by the modulus (both in same units such as ksi), to get allowable elongation (in percent), metals are typically ~1% or less (roughly).

• Reply 84 of 106
    Ah, don't you looove AppleInsider? One guy complains about a bent Shuffle clip, and we go into modelling a whole range of scenarios on how it could have happened, some people go F**K APPLE TO HELL WITH IPODS, and some people go deep deep deep into hardcore intense Material Science. All alongside the "you're an idiot" posts.
  • Reply 85 of 106
    Less than 100 posts to 6,000. AWWW Yeahhhhh.
  • Reply 86 of 106
    Quote:

Ah, don't you looove AppleInsider? One guy complains about a bent Shuffle clip, and we go into modelling a whole range of scenarios on how it could have happened, some people go F**K APPLE TO HELL WITH IPODS, and some people go deep deep deep into hardcore intense Material Science. All alongside the "you're an idiot" posts.

Don't you mean the "Your an idiot" posts... the misspelled ones...?
  • Reply 87 of 106
    Quote:

Heh.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Quote:

F**K APELL TO HELL WITH Ipods!!!111ONE!!!!
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:

hehe i love appleinsider.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    force required to open the clip all the way up to the stop is ~ 1 lb.

the failure as described in the picture requires that you apply ~ 10 lb of force. 10x times!!!

it's easy to blame design for your own stupidity and carelessness.

just accept that the clip caught onto your pocket and you stupidly tried to yank on it.

if your car is locked and you apply 10x times the normal operating force on the door handle, it'll break off. do you blame car maker calling it a poor design?? or is it your own carelessness?

you cannot get the clip to fail by dropping it on groung either. come on, get real. half an ounce falling free over a meter??? not enough punch to even cause a serious dent.

if you want to advertise your USB connector, please do so. do not mislead others...

shuffle is beautifully designed and truly amazing.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kapC

force required to open the clip all the way up to the stop is ~ 1 lb.

the failure as described in the picture requires that you apply ~ 10 lb of force. 10x times!!!

it's easy to blame design for your own stupidity and carelessness.

just accept that the clip caught onto your pocket and you stupidly tried to yank on it.

if your car is locked and you apply 10x times the normal operating force on the door handle, it'll break off. do you blame car maker calling it a poor design?? or is it your own carelessness?

you cannot get the clip to fail by dropping it on groung either. come on, get real. half an ounce falling free over a meter??? not enough punch to even cause a serious dent.

if you want to advertise your USB connector, please do so. do not mislead others...

shuffle is beautifully designed and truly amazing.

The point is that the failure point is within easy reach, ~ 5 lbs, as opposed to your example, yes you can fail anything, if enough force is applied! But in you're example, I don't think most people could fail their car door as this would take several hundred pounds of force, you don't think that car designers don't think of some allowable situations that would cause forces above what would be expected in normal usage? Point is, Apple didn't. Allowing 90 (or so) degrees of clip rotation before the stop limit would have been very easy for Apple to do, they didn't, therefore it's a design flaw!

• Reply 92 of 106
    Arghghghg don't make me go out and get a Shuffle just to test all your hypotheses!!!!!1111!!!!! I was supposed to NOT BUY ANYTHING APPLE these next two months..... Don't tempt me, you evil hell-sent tempters of those with good credit...!!!! arghgghhggghgghghhg

Actually, I propose a PayPal fund set up where I will buy a Shuffle and then perform various agreed-upon tests and document it fully for all to see. Excellent, I'll go work on setting up a PayPal donation thingy. Heh. 8)
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Edit: We'll see if I can wrangle the PayPal thing. It's so darn complicated Anyway, was just an idea.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I certainly can't "abide" by such a silly comparison unless you have micro-fingers. The comparison you try to make here is outright flawed because you aren't comparing objects of a similar size or shape.

It wasn't a comparison. It was to help demonstrate the pressure that can be created under the conditions I had previously described.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

I think the Aircraft Industry uses somewhat different (and higher quality) aluminum alloys than the stuff that goes into bikes. They have to throw away aluminum that's passed it's 1~2 year expiry date, even when it's been kept in a sealed environment. I'm in the UK, maybe we use a different system for naming the types of aluminum.

nar there isnt a different way of grading aluminium, but the stuff that goes into bike frames is some of the strongest you can get. high end bikes have to use good quality materials to deal with the high stresses. i mean, on the extreme end of things, 30-50 foot drops can be what these bikes are designed to eat for breakfast, no jokes.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    I had a closer look at the iPod Shuffle gen2, albeit through a glass window. That clip part seems quite thin. Just a mention.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    well, 1st gen shuffle had no clip and it was wonderful.

what happens if you buy a 2nd gen shuffle and just remove the damn flimsy clip before it bends and makes you scream "ah damnit apple stupid cheapo ipod chihuahua!! "????

can you still sync to itunes with the dock without the clip?????
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

I think the Aircraft Industry uses somewhat different (and higher quality) aluminum alloys than the stuff that goes into bikes. They have to throw away aluminum that's passed it's 1~2 year expiry date, even when it's been kept in a sealed environment. I'm in the UK, maybe we use a different system for naming the types of aluminum.

This reminds me of I conversation I once had with someone who worked in the aircraft industry.... If I remember correctly it went something like this:

Me: "What's the difference between aircraft aluminum and regular aluminum?"

Him: "Aircraft aluminum is on an Airplane."

As far as I know, there's absolutely no difference between "aircraft aluminum" and commercial aluminum.
  • Reply 99 of 106
    I too have bent my iPod Shuffle clip in exactly the same manner. However, I have found a way to get it to fit into the dock. You can find my pictures on my blog at TychoUnder.com/blog:

• Reply 100 of 106
    More pictures on

Tycho Under