Apple strengthens Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard with new build

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week delivered to developers Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A303, the latest in an extremely limited series of pre-release builds of its next-generation operating system.

People familiar with the new distribution of the software, labeled Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A303, say one of its primary objectives of the release is to knock out several "performance related bugs" that were present in build 9A283.

The latest build, those same people say, also reduces hangs in the Mac OS X Leopard Finder caused by a network connectivity issue and delivers several performance enhancements to the initial version of Time Machine.

Since seeding build 9A283 in mid-Oct., Apple has further implemented fixes that address issues with Safari's bug reporting feature as well as repair a glitch that has been impeding the use of Timbuktu and Eudora due to crashes on launch.

Those familiar with the build 9A303 say the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker continues to list well over a dozen known issues with Leopard, including file and QuickTime errors in iChat, iDisk synching failures and printing issues with HP raster printers.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A303 also contains problems where items deleted in the trash may not disappear until a restart, Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros won't recognize their AirPort cards, and logins initially fail after enabling FileVault protection on an account.

Apple has maintained that it will be ready to release Leopard sometime during the first half of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I am starting to believe they are not going to FFTF as in: new Finder.

crap.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros won't recognize their AirPort cards

Probably just a matter of copying the newer Atheros driver from the custom MBP C2D 10.4.7+ build.
  • Reply 3 of 151
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't think they will R (replace) the Finder, but hopefully they will replace enough to (F) fix it!

As of Tiger, Finder's pretty good--but still not quite there: it doesn't update file details instantly in the background when I save/change a file in another app.

I think Apple will reveal all the remaining Leopard features in January at MWSF, thus allowing the whole thing to go out for testing without fear of leaks.
  • Reply 4 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A303 also contains problems where items deleted in the trash may note disappears until a restart...

I had to read this sentence about 5 times before I figured out that you meant "may NOT disappear", at least that's the best I could do with it.

Always good news to see things progressing. My big question is about these so called "top-secret" features. I wonder how many of us are in the "Steve was blowing smoke" camp vs. the " really impressive features yet to be revealed" camp. I'm still unsure what I think, but I'm leaning towards the opinion that most of the imressive features have already been revealed, with 1 or 2 new notable features yet to be revealed, but nothing game changing.
  • Reply 5 of 151
    And people want Apple to release Leopard at Mac World

I guess I'm one of the few that actually believed that it would be ready and released in spring!

But anyways it good to hear Apple is squashing these bugs quickly and hopefully we will have an awesome Leopard in Spring
  • Reply 6 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I had to read this sentence about 5 times before I figured out that you meant "may NOT disappear", at least that's the best I could do with it.

Always good news to see things progressing. My big question is about these so called "top-secret" features. I wonder how many of us are in the "Steve was blowing smoke" camp vs. the " really impressive features yet to be revealed" camp. I'm still unsure what I think, but I'm leaning towards the opinion that most of the imressive features have already been revealed, with 1 or 2 new notable features yet to be revealed, but nothing game changing.

I think Im somewhere in the middle. Im expecting a few new features that will really make it worth the money and make it a really outstanding OS (compared to tiger. not to vista. im sure xp will be upstaging vista )
  • Reply 7 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

I think Im somewhere in the middle. Im expecting a few new features that will really make it worth the money and make it a really outstanding OS (compared to tiger. not to vista. im sure xp will be upstaging vista )

I certainly plan to stick with XP for a while for my Windows needs. I don't doubt I'll be using Leopard long before any computer I deal with is running Vista.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

And people want Apple to release Leopard at Mac World

I guess I'm one of the few that actually believed that it would be ready and released in spring!

But anyways it good to hear Apple is squashing these bugs quickly and hopefully we will have an awesome Leopard in Spring

I hope they take there time and produce a decent quality product, tiger is fine for now and is leagues ahead of anything else.

They dont want to take a page from Microsoft's page and release a buggy product!
  • Reply 9 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I certainly plan to stick with XP for a while for my Windows needs. I don't doubt I'll be using Leopard long before any computer I deal with is running Vista.

I will use Leopard as my primary the minute it comes out. As for my secondary PC, I will er, um, delete windows and "evaluate" vista on it just for kicks

I can't wait to throw XP in the trash.
  • Reply 10 of 151
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins

I hope they take there time and produce a decent quality product, tiger is fine for now and is leagues ahead of anything else.

They dont want to take a page from Microsoft's page and release a buggy product!

Like 10.4?
  • Reply 11 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Like 10.4?

Yeah hopefully they can learn from that
  • Reply 12 of 151
    I'm going to let Mel test Leopard for me before I buy it!
  • Reply 13 of 151
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 14 of 151
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    "Fix the fucking Finder" (it's FTFF, not FFTF). Wikipedia used to have an article on it but its asinine policies had it removed
  • Reply 15 of 151
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, they need .something. to make this a major OS release because nothing I see makes it more than a point release. Tiger doesn't have much over panther, at least from a user perspective. [Tiger] Spotlight, widgets, automator...do not make for a major release, imho. Sure there is junk under the hood, but ...whoopie, I don't see it in use. So Leopard with Time Machine isn't much at all.

They need to ramp this up a notch to be a real overhaul otherwise its just a ho-hum, here's my $129. k, Thanks Steve-o.
  • Reply 16 of 151
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why such minor changes from build to build? That's what happens just before release. Unless the real development work is still being kept secret?
  • Reply 17 of 151
    I remember that Steve Jobs said that not all features of Leopard were being shown because they did not want MS to copy. But exactly how stable are they going to be if testers have not tested them. Does not sound like a great plan... Still going to buy it when it comes out though. hehe.
  • Reply 18 of 151
    Quote:

They need to ramp this up a notch to be a real overhaul otherwise its just a ho-hum, here's my $129.

One thing that's been forgotten is Quartz 2D Extreme, which has yet to be enabled, because it's still too buggy in Tiger, AFAIK.

Remember this chart? :-)
  • Reply 19 of 151
    What exactly is wrong with the Finder?

I am fairly new to the Mac (about three years of usage) but haven't encountered any problems with it this far. But since the problems even have their own acronym they must be pretty major.
  • Reply 20 of 151
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Leopard seems like a huge release already, to me--big changes under the hood, and high-visiblity features too, but nobody needs to buy it if they don't want. If people expect a complete overhaul of an OS every 2 years, that would actually be a BAD thing in my book.

(Also, it's $99 at Amazon generally. Don't pay $129!)