How can I get full battery life out of my MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
On apple.com it says that I should have 5 hours of battery life. I've been able to get near 4 when putitng the display on the dimmest setting and closing anything thats running.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrey

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Did you turn Airport and Bluetooth off?

Which applications are you running when trying to achieve this 5 hour battery life?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I would like to run just Word, and nothing else.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    With everything turned off and the screen turned 1 up to a visible brightness i was able to get 4:46 so i'm assuming with the display on full dim then i would be able to get the advertised 5.

When you turn word on , the remaining time goes down by nearly an hour. Why does word drains so much power?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmptyPockets

When you turn word on , the remaining time goes down by nearly an hour. Why does word drains so much power?

Word is a PPC application, so Rosetta is running in the background to translate it. That, coupled with the fact that Word's CPU usage is higher than it should be, is your problem.

If you are just typing, try doing it in TextEdit instead of word. You can then copy/paste into Word later.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmptyPockets

With everything turned off and the screen turned 1 up to a visible brightness i was able to get 4:46

Are you just reporting the estimated time given by OS X, or did you actually time it from unplugging to sleep and get 4:46?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    The number is the reported estimate and not the actual time.

Words great for taking notes in class, i haven't been able to find anything better. It can record notes and give you markers that let you listen to specific recording when you were taking specific notes.