Matte vs Glossy

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Due to the forums limited search function I couldn't really find anything about this. The description on the Apple site for glossy vs Matte doesn't provide much info and seems to try and push Glossy over Matte. However could anyone give me a quick breakdown on the differences or post which one you prefer and why? I am kind of leaning towards glossy because of it's supposed "brilliant colors" but there has to be flaws, right? Anyways, look forward to reading replies, ordering the Macbook within the next few days!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Some people feel that the glossy screen creates a distracting glare when the light is just right. Others love the glossy and rave about the brilliant colors as you've read. Matte on the other hand is a more standard notebook LCD that doesn't have the reflective properties of the glossy.

Personally, I like the glossy screen of the new MacBooks. So much in fact that I'm going to pick one up next week (w00t). However, some people still say that after using the glossy for a while you will get tired of it and the glare supposedly.

Truly, it all comes down to personal preference. Go into an Apple store and play around with both to get your own feel for it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danmcman

Matte on the other hand is a more standard notebook LCD that doesn't have the reflective properties of the glossy.

Actually, Glossy is (and has been for some time) far more 'standard' in PC Notebooks.

Apple Notebooks are another story.

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hmm. Probably going to go with the Glossy since I'll be doing most of the work indoors. Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Dude i have been using glossy laptops for 3 years now the first was a sony vaio and at the time it was a beautiful screen. I LOVED IT. However is was quite reflective, on the other hand my current MacBook has a much more superea screen its smooth and less reflective, the colours are bright with good saturation.

After using glossy screens for a while I have got use to them and normal matt screens just dont cut it for me, i think even they are reflective and you still get a certain amount of glare. I now dont really like matt screens the colours on them just dont look right.

Glossy screens are the way forward!