Ram Upgrade prices resonable finally!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone noticed that there is actually a resonable upgrade cost for the Macbooks to go from 1 gig to 2?

If you upgraded yourself, you would have to buy 2 1 gig chips which is expensive

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yeah, it cost me $270 to go from 512MB to 2GB in my MacBook. Ouch!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    On the Macbooks with 1Gig of memory, there are two RAM slots right? Are they shipped with two 512k sticks or a single 1Gig stick?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lyfisin

On the Macbooks with 1Gig of memory, there are two RAM slots right? Are they shipped with two 512k sticks or a single 1Gig stick?

2 512 Mb sticks. So, if you don't want a pair of used chips to sell on eBay, it's actually not a bad deal to get the BTO memory upgrade.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    What does BTO mean?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    It could be "Built To Order", or possibly Bachman Turner Overdrive!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Anyone remember the game, Bachman?

http://www.gamedb.com/ssps/0/1/00258
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lyfisin

They tell you in the configurator.

Anything with the integrated graphics is likely to have paired memory for best memory speed, otherwise the graphics chip might eat into the memory bandwidth.

The only reason this is remotely reasonable is that the Applecare warranty will cover the memory. The price difference between 2x512 and 2x1GB, on the open market for good memory, is about $100. Applecare won't cover memory not bought from Apple, so it's completely self-supported, so if you bring it in and it was a memory problem, they might charge you if it's not Apple memory. The warranty length might not be as long with Applecare though, I don't think it's hard to find memory that has a longer warranty.