is my mbp C2D running too hot?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm a switcher and a happy owner of a stunning macbook pro 15inch C2D 2.16 ghz, my first mac experience ever and loving every second of it.

The only complaint i have is that it runs VERY hot to the point that i cannot put it on my lap.

1- is this normal

2- is there a widget or an application i can use to monitor the temperature? i installed istat nano and istat pro but it says temperature sensor not available...

edit: i installed temperature monitor and this is what i got

CPU A temp diode: 58 degrees C

CPU Core 1: 54 C

CPU Core 2: 54 C

all the rest is between 36 and 51

Is this normal? i'm running a lot of application actually...

Strange istat pro doesnt work...does it work for you guys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berberman

Hi,

I'm a switcher and a happy owner of a stunning macbook pro 15inch C2D 2.16 ghz, my first mac experience ever and loving every second of it.

The only complaint i have is that it runs VERY hot to the point that i cannot put it on my lap.

1- is this normal

2- is there a widget or an application i can use to monitor the temperature? i installed istat nano and istat pro but it says temperature sensor not available...

edit: i installed temperature monitor and this is what i got

CPU A temp diode: 58 degrees C

CPU Core 1: 54 C

CPU Core 2: 54 C

all the rest is between 36 and 51

Is this normal? i'm running a lot of application actually...

Strange istat pro doesnt work...does it work for you guys?

I don't have any tool or utility but I have also felt that after an hour of use, it gets quite hot so one cannot put it in the lap. I used to read about macbook pro first generation but i thought it might get better. It would be great if anyone knows any toold or widgets to track temperatures and also if others can post their experiences.

Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I agree that the stock setup is poor at best. I barely used my MBP because of the uncommfortable heat. My core temperature readings were like 65C at idle, 85C if I really tried to peg the CPU use meter, and either way, it was always uncomfortable after fifteen minutes of use. The only thing that kept me from selling it was the possibility I would make something that would remedy the problem and sell the fix. Thankfully, there are software solutions, none of my ideas would have been as good.

Use one of these two programs to boost the minimum fan speed:

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/index.html

http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

I like the top one more, it gives a little more adjustability. Either way, I'd start with 1500 RPM, and if that's not enough after fifteen minutes, bump it up in increments of 250 RPM every fifteen minutes until you are comfortable with it. When I set mine to a 2000 RPM minimum, my MBP was always cool to the touch, it barely even felt warm.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    And the quickest and easiest way to turn the processors on full blast is to open two Terminal windows and type

yes >>/dev/null

into each one. Open Activity Monitor to see the CPUs maxed out.

To stop the processes, just close the Terminal windows or hit control-C in each Terminal window.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Thanks for the info guys. Are my temp readings normal though?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

The readings look normal to me. The chip can handle a much hotter running temperature than that. If you want to run cooler though, you can use the programs I suggested.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

That's not that hot compared to what people were reporting a while back.

Like the diabetic and the nurse: How do I know how much sugar is in the food i'm eating? She said, if it tastes sweet there's sugar in it. If it tastes very sweet there's lots of sugar in it.

How hot does it feel on your lap?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

How hot does it feel on your lap?

pretty hot to the point where i actually have to put a magazin under so it doesnt burn me.

For 'normal' temperatures i stil think it runs too hot for a 'lap'top.

It still is the greatest machine i've ever had and the greatest OS i've ever used.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I agree that the stock setup is poor at best. I barely used my MBP because of the uncommfortable heat. My core temperature readings were like 65C at idle, 85C if I really tried to peg the CPU use meter, and either way, it was always uncomfortable after fifteen minutes of use. The only thing that kept me from selling it was the possibility I would make something that would remedy the problem and sell the fix. Thankfully, there are software solutions, none of my ideas would have been as good.

Use one of these two programs to boost the minimum fan speed:

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/index.html

http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

I like the top one more, it gives a little more adjustability. Either way, I'd start with 1500 RPM, and if that's not enough after fifteen minutes, bump it up in increments of 250 RPM every fifteen minutes until you are comfortable with it. When I set mine to a 2000 RPM minimum, my MBP was always cool to the touch, it barely even felt warm.

Are there any drawbacks to those programs, like shortened life of the components or anything? Because I really wanna try the first one you listed. Right now my mbp is at 64C, but it usually idles at 54C. For some reason it's never felt too hot for lap but i'd still like it cooler.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Are there any drawbacks to those programs, like shortened life of the components or anything? Because I really wanna try the first one you listed. Right now my mbp is at 64C, but it usually idles at 54C. For some reason it's never felt too hot for lap but i'd still like it cooler.

I really don't think anything is at risk, except maybe fan longevity. But if they were designed to operate at 6000 RPM, I don't think bumping the minimum to 1500 or 2000 is going to hurt them.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I really don't think anything is at risk, except maybe fan longevity. But if they were designed to operate at 6000 RPM, I don't think bumping the minimum to 1500 or 2000 is going to hurt them.

Thanks a lot Jeff. I just installed SMC fan control and I'm watching the temp go down as we speak.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Yes, smcFanControl is THE BEST solution for the heat problem of Apple notebooks. Simply install it, crank up the speed and set it to run on boot. Tadaa! It actually feels cool to the touch after the fan speeds are turned up.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

And the quickest and easiest way to turn the processors on full blast is to open two Terminal windows and type

yes >>/dev/null

into each one. Open Activity Monitor to see the CPUs maxed out.

To stop the processes, just close the Terminal windows or hit control-C in each Terminal window.

Does it serve some purpose or is it just a random fact?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

Does it serve some purpose or is it just a random fact?

If you are trying to max out the CPU so you can get an idea of what its max temperature can be, this is it.

What I did was just run three HD video clips in a loop.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush

Yes, smcFanControl is THE BEST solution for the heat problem of Apple notebooks. Simply install it, crank up the speed and set it to run on boot. .

hmmm...How is it that you set it to run on boot? (new switcher here..)
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

That's why I thought that the other Fan Control package was better. But there may be a setting window for the smc program, I just don't remember where.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I was fiddling with both and Fan Control seems better. It can set the base speed as well to whatever (I also used 1500 RPM) but allows you to set the lower and upper thresholds for how fast the fan ramps to max speed.

Using yes >> /dev/null doesn't truly peg the CPUs according to some folks but it is close enough for me.

Unfortunately, even with the fans pegged temp continues to increase to 80C+. Debating doing the paste mod but for normal use its cool enough.

Vinea
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Unfortunately, even with the fans pegged temp continues to increase to 80C+. Debating doing the paste mod but for normal use its cool enough.

I think that's fine though. The times I use it on my lap aren't the times that I am trying to give the system a workout. I just didn't want it to make me sweat when it wasn't. Usually just for looking up people on IMDB while watching movies or TV with my home theater system.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

In the application, check the option 'Auto apply settings after launch' and 'Start hidden'. Right-click on the dock icon and select 'Open at Login'. That should do it.