Apple strengthens Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard with new build

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

First of all, being able to simply drag a file to another drive without leaving a copy of the original could have disastrous effects. I personally would not recommend it. Even after copying a file to another drive, I will check to ensure that the copy is valid before tossing the original. I may sound paranoid, but most of my data information is highly sensitive programming code.

I have never had a problem with it, ever. The original gets dumped in the trash, so I don't see the problem there, if there's a problem with the new file on the new hard drive, move it from the trash and try it again. The file should be in the backups too.
  • Reply 82 of 151
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I have never had a problem with it, ever. The original gets dumped in the trash, so I don't see the problem there, if there's a problem with the new file on the new hard drive, move it from the trash and try it again. The file should be in the backups too.

Right, the process is not destructive on the MacOS. You can simply pull it out of the Trash if the copy is corrupted somehow, though the OS should catch any copy errors before it gets that far. I think an option in the Finder to "Move to Other Disks" by default would be useful for those who want it.
  • Reply 83 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Now you're just being picky. You don't have to hold down the command key for the whole drag, you just have to make sure it's pressed before releasing the mouse button. Pressing "command" for a second is still quicker than having to go back and manually delete the files you've copied.

My point is that it's still more tedious than just dragging using the secondary mouse button. At the very least, why not "lock" into move mode when pressing the key on when clicking to drag?
  • Reply 84 of 151
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

Compared to Windows Explorer Finder is slow, very slow! On Windows folders open instantly and it's a much more fluid process. I think this is due to the thumbnails Finder loads. Also Windows has some nice see through folder features, which although implemented in a bad way, make for a more intuitive experience. However, Apple's column view is second to none. Right clicking on folders in the dock is also insanely slow.

I personally think Apple is developing these exclusive features in parallel with the builds they're releasing. I want to see some exciting improvements! Although the Finder has been changed slightly since Tiger in the Leopard builds which implies maybe that wont be seeing the overhaul. I hope Time Machine can roll back OS installs.

Sorry Maccrazy, but it's too late for me to go back to the older post, so I'm putting this link in my reply to you instead. Because he will be reading it.

Those of us who read ARs, have respect for John's knowledge and opinions.

Click on his red links for more imformation about that bit.

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/1/26/2673
  • Reply 85 of 151
    Quote:

I do, but it does not arrange folders first, then files.

It can be done by labelling
  • Reply 86 of 151
    Vista is going to be some very very annoying bloatware that most likely will interrupt what I would like to do on my PC, that is, some Photoshop, maybe some web design, web surfing, and playing games. I'll stick to WindowsXP2pro for 2007, and my DirectX 9.0c gpu, 6600GT or 7900GS or whatever...

On the other hand, 10.4.x Tiger clearly showed performance improvements on older hardware over 10.3.9. I'm looking forward to going from 10.3.9 to 10.5.x on this ol' iBook G4 933mhz // 640mb RAM // 5400rpm 60gb drive. It'll breathe some good life into this lappie through 2007 and maybe through 2008, as this iBook reaches the end of it's 3-year warranty period next month.

No need for iLife '07 for now, but Leopard will be nice, I am betting on performance improvements on older hardware........!! I hope I am not dissapointed. Anyway will upgrade because some useful apps will require 10.4.8 minimum, some apps already are doing that.

But yeah as I figure out what to do next with my life, using WinXP2pro mainly, my parents are getting good hassle-free use out of 10.3.9 and this iBook G4. Every now and then, like now, it's great to sit down in front of Mac OSX and just, feel, well, a bit better, I guess... Also 14" 4:3 1024x768 is quite viewable compared to 13" 1280x800 - The MacBooks are not very useful for those over 45... too small. Too small for Photoshop/Web Design work at the moment though as well, then there's the Rosetta issue. So..... rambling here but overall looking forward to Leopard.

Not so much for the gee-whiz whizzy bangy stuff, but it is good that Apple has a commitment to great Macs (clearly demonstrated this year), and continue to improve on the Operating System. Let's not take Bootcamp and Parallels and VMWare Fusion lightly, I'm sure Leopard will under the whiz-bang-hood, have tighter and better cross-platform workflow and integration. Most important for continued switching/ maintenance/ growth of market share/ users/ etc.
  • Reply 87 of 151
    Adobe CS3 on Intel Macs and Leopard 10.5.x will be some nice icing on the mid-year 2007 cake....!!
  • Reply 88 of 151
    With my current psych treatment though as some of you who have gone through it may know, there are cognitive and memory problems... So being out of touch with web design and development, although Photoshop layer mastery is always a learning, usually-fun process (like cooking I guess), so yeah being out of touch with Dreamweaver and Flash, we'll see if I can re-learn CS3 Dreamweaver and CS3 FlashPro... Or maybe not, time to move on to a different career. I hear WallMart is hiring.... But it hasn't opened on Coruscant yet. You'd think, of all the planets in the galaxy, there's no frickin' WallMart on Coruscant!!! WTF? Tatooine has one, Alderaan used to have quite a few (pity about the whole Death-Star blowing up the whole planet thing) -- yeah the Wallmart Alderaan boss was hella pissed. Or he would've been, he was incinerated pretty much instantly. As geeky as this sounds, I've kinda moved on from Star Wars. I think.
  • Reply 89 of 151
    And yes, Melgross you will be testing 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 thoroughly for all of us. Before we jump in on 10.5.2... We'll set up a new thread - Melgross' Magnificent Magicktacular Macintoshery - now with 20% extra Magicktacularness!!
  • Reply 90 of 151
    One of the most annoying things about WindozeXP is the windows almost never consistently open as maximised or smaller, it only sometimes remembers the window size and position. Mac OSX is better at this overall. Also the more annoying things about WindozeXP are the popup dialogs on the bottom right corner.

"Wireless is connected: Signal:good"

.....1 hour later

"Wireless is connected: Signal:low"

.....10 minutes later

"Wireless is connected: Signal:very good"

MSI(MicrostarInternational) PC-card Wireless thingy. I haven't figured out how to stop the dialog box popups and I'm not going to waste time Googling and hacking the registry or whatever. It's not annoying enough for me to waste more time getting more annoyed trying to stop the notifications
  • Reply 91 of 151
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

One of the most annoying things about WindozeXP is the windows almost never consistently open as maximised or smaller, it only sometimes remembers the window size and position. Mac OSX is better at this overall. Also the more annoying things about WindozeXP are the popup dialogs on the bottom right corner.

"Wireless is connected: Signal:good"

.....1 hour later

"Wireless is connected: Signal:low"

.....10 minutes later

"Wireless is connected: Signal:very good"

MSI(MicrostarInternational) PC-card Wireless thingy. I haven't figured out how to stop the dialog box popups and I'm not going to waste time Googling and hacking the registry or whatever. It's not annoying enough for me to waste more time getting more annoyed trying to stop the notifications

Yessssss. Another thing that drives me nuts about Windows. It incessantly asks me questions and insists on alerting me for the most trivial of things.

Some (highly exaggerated) examples below:

"OMG! Something happened! Oh Jesus! Oh man! And I have no idea what to do next! HELP ME, PLEASE MR. USER!! I am incapable of making decisions on my own! Please go through this twelve step wizard to decide how you are going to download your photos from your digital camera"

"Hey, that network cable was totally disconnected when you yanked it out of the back of the machine. Just letting you know, yeah? Rock on baby!"

"You just plugged something into the computer. I have no idea what it is. Let me think for a while. Hmmmmm. Oooooh! It's a USB drive! Sure, I knew that all along. Just wait for a sec now and I'll install some drivers and shit for whatever reason. Yay! Your USB drive is now ready to use!"

"Windows has detected that the USB drive you just connected IS CONNECTED! Seriously, wow! Choose from a bunch of things you might want to do. I handily put a little check mark at the bottom of the list for do this action everytime, but I'm actually gonna ignore that and ask you what to do every time you plug that sucker in"

"Click here to activate Windows. If you don't I'm gonna log you out and laugh at you."
  • Reply 92 of 151
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ohlala, it's official, Vista is allready gonna be on (belgian) shelves on January 30! Second surprise, its gonna cost you approx. as much as their current operating system ?

A surprise move that will make Apple reconsider their Spring launch day?! I hope not \

Considering the Zune, it's not gonna be sold in Europe until june 2007
  • Reply 93 of 151
    Quote:

It can be done by labelling

That would be a solution, but not a good one.
  • Reply 94 of 151
    Now I can't add or remove the items in my Finder's favorite's panel. I had to relaunch it.
  • Reply 95 of 151
    It is interesting that Dev build reports have not come out with any new features. I wonder if Apple will start implementing those with a preview at MWSF. Then spend the next few months finalizing the OS and squashing bugs.

I think Leopard will be released late March / Early April. Makes sense cos the hoopla over Vista will be over and Apple can get the maximum press coverage possible without any distractions.

I wonder how many current OS X users will pay to upgrade to Leopard? Even a million unit sales will generate $100M in revenue. This could add a lot to Apple's bottom line in the Spring and Summer quarters.
  • Reply 96 of 151
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogGone

It is interesting that Dev build reports have not come out with any new features. I wonder if Apple will start implementing those with a preview at MWSF. Then spend the next few months finalizing the OS and squashing bugs.

I can guarantee you that you will not hear of any of the "top secret features" in the dev build reports until after MacWorld SF.
  • Reply 97 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama

The close, minimise and maximise buttons are jammed so close together I usually end up maximising a window instead of closing it or vice-versa.

I am pretty sure that is adjustable. You can even change the button sizes too, something that OS X doesn't seem to be able to do yet. It looks like that will change with Leopard.

Quote:

Windows forget the view settings I applied to them at random. Sure this happens in Mac OS X too, particularly during the 10.1 and 10.2 days, but Windows XP (and 2000) is many times worse in my experience.

I've seen Finder go against my view preferences more often in a day than Explorer does in a month. Just now, the background for one of my drives changed to a color I've never set.

Quote:

Speaking of properties, it really irks me that this is usually the only way to make any useful changes in almost all applications. There are usually no direct menu equivalents.

Without specific examples, I'm not sure what you mean that makes it different with OS X software, but that sounds similar to the gripes people have with Apple's Inspector paradigm.

Quote:

Completely inconsistent save/open dialogue box windows; some are res-izable, some are not; some have shortcuts to the desktop/my documents/etc, some do not; some remember the last folder you were in, some do not. etc...

I think that might have more to do with the developer's choice than anything else.

Quote:

And the one thing which really sums up the shitty design of the Windows UI has to be the way you edit your TCP/IP settings.

That's about 7 or 8 mouse clicks. I can do the same in Mac OS X in 3 mouse clicks. I should also mention that at this point I'd have about 3 windows open, none of which show up in the task bar.

It is an irritation, but it's not something that should need to be set often.
  • Reply 98 of 151
    Quote:

That would be a solution, but not a good one.

And why not?
  • Reply 99 of 151
    Quote:

And why not?

Maybe I don't know what you mean by labelling? I don't see anything in the info pane called "label".

Edit: I found it, but for one, I think it's disctracting, and two, it really doesn't do it the way I want. I want folders sorted alphabetically, then files sorted alphabetically. It's not that hard. I don't want to label every folder so it works this way.
  • Reply 100 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH

I remember that Steve Jobs said that not all features of Leopard were being shown because they did not want MS to copy. But exactly how stable are they going to be if testers have not tested them. Does not sound like a great plan... Still going to buy it when it comes out though. hehe.

And why would you assume that it isn't being tested?